Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/18/2015 9:47:21 PM EDT
After about 80 rounds down barrel with no issues my hammer started dropping on reset.
Now it is full on trying to slam fire on me!

Is this even close to normal adter 143 rounds of out of the box factory load wear on the sear gabby tooth do dad?

Did I screw something up?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
No, that's not normal.

If you installed it correctly and it passed function testing when new then you need a replacement. May I suggest avoiding eBay and buying an ALG QMS or ACT from a reputable vendor?

Unless you took a file or something to the disconnecter it shouldn't do that for many, many, many, many cases of ammo. If you didn't alter it at all if suggest a refund. Replacing a junk part with a junk part is pointless.

Here: https://www.primaryarms.com/ALG_Defense_Quality_Mil_Spec_Trigger_QMS_p/05-198.htm

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the name of the ebay seller?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
If they don't heat treat the parts they can sell them cheaper.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
That's not normal, but with all of the quality suppliers of AR15 parts why would anyone buy parts on Ebay?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Was there an Air Soft Parts disclaimer?  Cheap parts usually turn out to be cheap parts. Then you still end up having to buy something else. Which turns the good deal into a non good deal.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#6]
This is not normal.

Might want to take it to the troubleshooting forum for additional help.

More detail will help.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:26:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Good luck if you bought this on eBay!!!!

You going to report yourself breaking one of the "major" rules of eBay and say you bought an AR part that was bad.....

They'd tell you to pound dirt. I've been there! Best try to work it out with him before you get that far!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:41:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Is that hammer..........aluminum???

Pic isn't super clear, but compared to the anodized receiver and parkerized bolt catch, it looks like painted cast aluminum.

And as said, no, that's not normal.  I have NEVER seen a disconnector hook snap off like that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#9]
The eBay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/thepackagegroup?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

Lesson learned after this (my first) build...

Don't cheap out on an eBay lpk.

Before the trigger issue I had a problem with the safety that came with the kit.
Detent for fire position was too shallow so with minimal forward thumb pressure it would slip in to the select fire position...
I contacted the seller about it and they sent me a replacement post haste...

The hammer and trigger are both steel... but I kind of have to agree that they probably missed their trip to the heat treat show...
Had tickets and everything... lol

Thanks fellas.. didn't figure I messed anything up during installation. .. I'll see if I can get a replacement fcg from them to shelf as a shtf spare.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The eBay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/thepackagegroup?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

Lesson learned after this (my first) build...

Don't cheap out on an eBay lpk.

Before the trigger issue I had a problem with the safety that came with the kit.
Detent for fire position was too shallow so with minimal forward thumb pressure it would slip in to the select fire position...
I contacted the seller about it and they sent me a replacement post haste...

The hammer and trigger are both steel... but I kind of have to agree that they probably missed their trip to the heat treat show...
Had tickets and everything... lol

Thanks fellas.. didn't figure I messed anything up during installation. .. I'll see if I can get a replacement fcg from them to shelf as a shtf spare.
View Quote

I beleive there are ways to cheap out without sacrificing functional quality, like PSA or DS Arms LPK's.  You can get a lower build kit complete with buffer tube assembly and stock for just $10-20 more than what you paid for the Ebay LPK and those two sellers although glacial to ship will at least supply parts that you don't have to worry about imploding after just a few rounds.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#11]
For build #2 in progress the lessons learned will be put into practice.

I did go ahead and contact the eBay seller to see if they will replace but will be only purchasing known good quality parts from now forward.

Have a cmmg stainless hammer/trigger lpk on the way for the 7.62x39 build. Build #2 parts are piling up!
The plan is to go with a piston kit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:01:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the sear gabby tooth do dad?
View Quote

Interesting that the seller now has no FCG parts for sale, just "billet' safety selectors.

I will now and forever be calling it the "sear gabby tooth do dad"  
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#13]
This is why I repeat myself over and over:  do not buy gun parts on Ebay.  You will end up spending more money by trying to save $5.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is why I repeat myself over and over:  do not buy gun parts on Ebay.  You will end up spending more money by trying to save $5.
View Quote

Ebay can be a great source for parts but you need to know what you are buying.  It's outstanding for hard to find old mil-surp stuff.  

If you are looking at LPK's that are cheap then you have to expect that most if not all the parts are imported.  The FCG is the heart of your weapon and needs to be of the best quality available.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got to PSA and get a good parts kit.  Shit you can get a LPK with an ALG ACT trigger in it or 100 bucks.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#16]
So the seller responded and is sending me a whole new lpk.

Before I heard from them I went ahead and ordered an Anderson fcg.

The eBay seller stated that they will contact their supplier and see what the fizuk happened...
They seem genuinely concerned about quality, so if the replacement parts hold up... cheap parts don't necessarily always mean bad parts...

Again...
I do get it...
Don't cheap out on fcg parts...

Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So the seller responded and is sending me a whole new lpk.

Before I heard from them I went ahead and ordered an Anderson fcg.

The eBay seller stated that they will contact their supplier and see what the fizuk happened...
They seem genuinely concerned about quality, so if the replacement parts hold up... cheap parts don't necessarily always mean bad parts...

Again...
I do get it...
Don't cheap out on fcg parts...

Lesson learned.
View Quote

Their supplier is likely Chong's Best Parts Company out of Wang Shu and they've never even HEARD of heat treating.

Places not to skimp on your AR:  Barrel, FCG, BCG.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Being a machinist by day... I think I may get creative.

I'm going to weld up the hammer that ate itself and regrind.
I will check the Rockwell on the replacement and heat treat as needed.

I won't be installing either Chicom  hammer permanently in any lower. At this point... it's just sheer morbid curiosity on my part.

This rifle, is not a battle rifle.
I don't need it to be perfect.
Being my first... I need the opposite.
I need to run in to problems now, so I know how to handle them later...

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Being a machinist by day... I think I may get creative.

I'm going to weld up the hammer that ate itself and regrind.
I will check the Rockwell on the replacement and heat treat as needed.

I won't be installing either Chicom  hammer permanently in any lower. At this point... it's just sheer morbid curiosity on my part.

This rifle, is not a battle rifle.
I don't need it to be perfect.
Being my first... I need the opposite.
I need to run in to problems now, so I know how to handle them later...

View Quote

OP...Just buy some quality parts.

When it breaks . It might jam you upper and lower and destroy who knows how much more.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Did we skip over the part where I said I have a cmmg fcg on the way?

Machinist.
Tinker Monkey...
Must experiment!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#21]
To update:

The eBay seller sent me a complete replacement lpk.
Upon initial inspection ton the parts look to be more refined than the first set.
The reset on the new kit once Installed feel much better than before. The reset on the kit that tanked was very sharp... I called it "crispy" in my initial thread about completing the lower...  with the new kit... I have the familiar hollow sort of knock on reset. I feel much more confident about this fcg.

It's still not going on this rifle.
I thought I had ordered a cmmg stainless fcg... but I had ordered the Anderson fcg.. which has arrived and is now installed in the lower.
The Anderson fcg is leaps and bounds ahead of the Chicom fcg for sure. Much smoother pull and the parts were milled to tighter tolerances. Have not had the chance yet but definitely chomping at the bit to go test.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top