Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2015 11:51:16 AM EDT
Does anyone know what the standard gas port diameter on a .223 Wylde barrel is supposed to be?  

I've been having problems with a build...low pressure not sending the BCG far enough back to strip off another round.  I took the gas block off and verified no obstruction in either block or gas tube.  Gas port in barrel is smaller diameter than gas hole in the gas tube.  Using my SAE drill bits, I estimate the gas tube to be at about 1/8", the gas block to be at 9/64" and the gas port to be at 3/32".

So, could this be the issue?  A possible remedy other than enlarging the gas port is going with a reduced recoil before spring, but would that be a bandaid fix?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Gas port diameter for a barrel is determined by gas system (rifle, mid-length, or carbine), and the length of the barrel. So, what are they?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Need Barrel Length and Gas system length (Carbine, midlength, etc) to determine.

As a point of reference people thought the 0.070 gas port on my 16" carbine was on the big side.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
who made the barrel, what is the gas system length.

Is the gas block aligned correctly?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
who made the barrel, what is the gas system length.

Is the gas block aligned correctly?
View Quote

If your gas port is currently .094 (3/32") that should be of adequate diameter for your .223 barrel regardless of gas system or barrel length.  Most gas tube IDs run from 0.113" to 0.120".  They do vary some between manufacturers but even if yours was 0.113" that's still larger than the gas port and should not offer any restriction.

Double check all other gas-related areas for potential leaks, loose, worn, or broken parts.  How far does your gas tube extend into the upper receiver?  Use lots of lube until the gun is really broken-in.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#5]
20" barrel, Rifle length gas tube.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The specification for gas port diameter for a 20" barrel with a rifle length gas system is 0.092" + 0.001". On a side note, the specification for the inside diameter for the gas tube is 0.120".
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

who made the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the help and info.  I'll put it back together and use plenty of lube during the break in along with the reduced recoil spring.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks for all the help and info.  I'll put it back together and use plenty of lube during the break in along with the reduced recoil spring.
View Quote

It might help if you gave us a full build list. Buffer, BCG, barrel, everything.

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does anyone know what the standard gas port diameter on a .223 Wylde barrel is supposed to be?  

I've been having problems with a build...low pressure not sending the BCG far enough back to strip off another round.  I took the gas block off and verified no obstruction in either block or gas tube.  Gas port in barrel is smaller diameter than gas hole in the gas tube.  Using my SAE drill bits, I estimate the gas tube to be at about 1/8", the gas block to be at 9/64" and the gas port to be at 3/32".

So, could this be the issue?  A possible remedy other than enlarging the gas port is going with a reduced recoil before spring, but would that be a bandaid fix?
View Quote

Opening up the gas port is a last resort fix.
You are skipping past all of the normal troubleshooting checks.
Recommend you re-post in the "Troubleshooting" sub-forum and they will walk you through the procedure.
BUT..... give as much info as you can on the rifle's specs so that they can help you.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]
What ammo are you using?  What buffer?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Recommend you re-post in the "Troubleshooting" sub-forum and they will walk you through the procedure.
BUT..... give as much info as you can on the rifle's specs so that they can help you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Very low probability that it is the gas port.
My 20” with a heavy spring and H3 buffer is not having any problems.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I lubed the heck out of it, put the reduced recoil spring in and took it shooting.  Worked like a champ.  No issues. Was even putting up 1" groups at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I lubed the heck out of it, put the reduced recoil spring in and took it shooting.  Worked like a champ.  No issues. Was even putting up 1" groups at 100 yards.
View Quote

Glad you got it sorted out........Just to throw a couple dimensions out there.......My 20" RRA gas port is .103 and I just bought a 18" Nordic components and it was .095.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top