Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2015 1:23:34 PM EDT
I would like to go with a longer rail and was wondering if I can just remove the front sight. I know the gas tube is in there so that would need to be replaced as well.

If so what would I need and what is all involved? Thanks

http://
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely, but there are some potential gotchas.  First, you correctly noted that the sight is also your gas block.  Also, it's probably taper pinned to the barrel, which is where the hitch comes.

If you remove the sight, you need to replace it with a low profile gas block.  There may be some that can be pinned, but the odds of the pin holes lining up with the ones on your sight are pretty slim.

Here's what I'd plan if it were me:

Remove the sight (you'll need to knock out the taper pins...search the sight on how to do that).
Buy a clamp on low profile gas block (I'm partial to the YHM one, but there's lots of good ones...some probably better and/or cheaper than that one).
Buy your free float handguard of choice.
At a minimum you'll have to remove the barrel nut to remove the delta ring....may need to replace the barrel nut if your chosen FF handguard has a proprietary nut.
Re-assemble it all with the new handguard and low pro gas block.

Then you're ready to go.

You'll obviously need either an optic or a handguard mounted front sight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
YES you can.  I am far from handy or an armorer and just did it.

Get a good set of roll punch pins and don't be shy about hitting them.  

This is a good how to video [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIDb7CZkfQ4[/youtube]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolutely, but there are some potential gotchas.  First, you correctly noted that the sight is also your gas block.  Also, it's probably taper pinned to the barrel, which is where the hitch comes.

If you remove the sight, you need to replace it with a low profile gas block.  There may be some that can be pinned, but the odds of the pin holes lining up with the ones on your sight are pretty slim.

Remove the sight (you'll need to knock out the taper pins...search the sight on how to do that).
Buy a clamp on low profile gas block (I'm partial to the YHM one, but there's lots of good ones...some probably better and/or cheaper than that one).
Or you could simply reuse the the sight tower by chopping it down and remove the bayonet lug and reinstall.  Done it several times and it always works well and costs you nothing
At a minimum you'll have to remove the barrel nut to remove the delta ring....may need to replace the barrel nut if your chosen FF handguard has a proprietary nut.
Or leave the attached and simply make two cuts into the delta ring and it will pop right off without removing the barrel or nut.  If your careful it is a pretty easy modification.

Then you're ready to go.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Just cut the top off and refinish it. Then you only have to buy a rail. There was a thread on here before where a member did just that and it turned out nice.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you could simply reuse the the sight tower by chopping it down and remove the bayonet lug and reinstall.  Done it several times and it always works well and costs you nothing
Or leave the attached and simply make two cuts into the delta ring and it will pop right off without removing the barrel or nut.  If your careful it is a pretty easy modification.

Then you're ready to go.

Good points.  I personally wouldn't do either one, but that's just me.  If you chop the FSB, you no longer have the option to put it back if you want and I'm not a fan of destroying the delta ring.  I did something similar on on middy (except I kept the FSB and just FF behind it).  I removed the delta ring and now I'm reusing it on another build.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info guys and thanks for the info as well!! Looks like I need to order a low profile gas block and get to work!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Vette10r,

Absolutely you can do that job. I just did it with 2 of my AR's. Its pretty simple.

Is that a 2 piece quad rail on there now? If so remove it by taking out whatever holds the 2 pieces together, push in on the Delta Ring and remove the hand guard.

You wont have to replace your gas tube unless its FUBAR. Drive out the gas tube roll pin in the FSB. You will need to figure out which way your taper pins were installed in the FSB. You will be able to tell which side of the taper pins are bigger. You will need to drive them out from the smaller side of the pins. Make sure you support the barrel and FSB well. I use a roll pin punch that has the nobby end on it so it holds on the small side of taper pin. You may need to really wack the taper pin. Sometimes they are a Biotch to get them to start moving. You also can spray some penetrating oil (Kroil, PB Blaster, etc.) if they don't seem to start moving. Once they start to move then use the correct size punch and drive em out. You have to make sure you drive them out small side to big size. 99% of taper pins are installed the same way. Stag Arms is the opposite way. You can check out YouTube and see it done. one of my FSB taper pins came out easy (sitting on living room floor) the other was a real bear but I got them both off with out ruining the FSB. Save the FSB in case you ever want to reinstall it. That FSB is drilled for your barrel. Its a pain to try and reuse it on another barrel.

After you have removed the FSB and gas tube you will need a low profile gas block. I got a deal from Midwest Industries when I bought their rail. They have the special going on now as well. You need a new rail. I installed 12" Midwest Industries GEN2 SS Free Float rails on both my carbine gas and my mid-length gas. Their rail comes with a new barrel nut and a barrel nut wrench.  Totally changed my rifles!

I'm pretty sure there are some brands that use the standard barrel nut but cant remember which ones! Hope this helps

Let me know if you need more help.

PasoGunner

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Vette10r,

Absolutely you can do that job. I just did it with 2 of my AR's. Its pretty simple.

Is that a 2 piece quad rail on there now? If so remove it by taking out whatever holds the 2 pieces together, push in on the Delta Ring and remove the hand guard.

You wont have to replace your gas tube unless its FUBAR. Drive out the gas tube roll pin in the FSB. You will need to figure out which way your taper pins were installed in the FSB. You will be able to tell which side of the taper pins are bigger. You will need to drive them out from the smaller side of the pins. Make sure you support the barrel and FSB well. I use a roll pin punch that has the nobby end on it so it holds on the small side of taper pin. You may need to really wack the taper pin. Sometimes they are a Biotch to get them to start moving. You also can spray some penetrating oil (Kroil, PB Blaster, etc.) if they don't seem to start moving. Once they start to move then use the correct size punch and drive em out. You have to make sure you drive them out small side to big size. 99% of taper pins are installed the same way. Stag Arms is the opposite way. You can check out YouTube and see it done. one of my FSB taper pins came out easy (sitting on living room floor) the other was a real bear but I got them both off with out ruining the FSB. Save the FSB in case you ever want to reinstall it. That FSB is drilled for your barrel. Its a pain to try and reuse it on another barrel.

After you have removed the FSB and gas tube you will need a low profile gas block. I got a deal from Midwest Industries when I bought their rail. They have the special going on now as well. You need a new rail. I installed 12" Midwest Industries GEN2 SS Free Float rails on both my carbine gas and my mid-length gas. Their rail comes with a new barrel nut and a barrel nut wrench.  Totally changed my rifles!

I'm pretty sure there are some brands that use the standard barrel nut but cant remember which ones! Hope this helps

Let me know if you need more help.

PasoGunner

View Quote

Nice added detail.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]

I put a rifle length free float handguard on mine.

I didn't take off the FSB.  I used a cut off wheel and cut everything off except the gas tube part.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Like this:

Used a hack saw, grinder and files then aluma black to color.
Originally replaced with a aluminum GB but it leaked so I bobbed the sight.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Options...

1) FSB removal
Bravo Company step-by-step taper pin removal...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_138/181708_Removing_BCM_FSB_Taper_Pins.html
SAVE the FSB !
It and your barrel are a UNIQUE PAIR, should you ever want to go back or sell.

For a professional-looking job, choose a low-pro gas block that is designed to cover the pin scars.
Example...

2) Shaved FSB
Some nice work in this thread...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/516386_Shaved_FSB_refinishing.html
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't have any luck trying to pound the taper pins out. It was real easy when I used the corner of my 6" vise and carefully pressed them out. I also pressed them in with the vise.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top