Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2015 12:45:37 AM EDT
My next build will be a target/varmint AR.

What's difference in performance b/w 16", 20", and 24" bbl?  More velocity from the longer?
Also, what twist is recommended?

I'm leaning toward a 20" SS bull bbl.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:49:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say 20" or 22".  You don't gain much with 5.56 going longer than 22", and they start to become rather unwieldy.  If you're going to be running lighter bullets (55-69 gr), a 20" is probably optimal.  the heavier 70-80 gr. bullets like to be pushed by slower powders, so another couple inches can be beneficial.

I opted for a 22" Wilson bull barrel to drive 75 gr Hornady BTHP match and 77 gr. Sierra Matchkings.  I like it, but at 14.7 lbs loaded w/20 rounds, it ain't a rifle you wanna do a ton of walking with!

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree, 22" seems to be optimal for velocity while still maintaining some sort of handiness.

I cut down a Wilson 24" match barrel to 22" and am very satisfied. The Wilson match barrels (at the one I have) is a 1 - 8" twist. It shoots all the heavier bullets real well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#3]
For factory ammo I run a 20” heavy not bull barrel.
I also have a 24” fluted heavy barrel that is sub-MOA and travels well enough.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive got an 18" with rifle length gas on mine... LOVE IT.
(it was a takeoff from an old Colt HBAR that I repurposed...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive got an 18" with rifle length gas on mine... LOVE IT.
(it was a takeoff from an old Colt HBAR that I repurposed...
View Quote

THIS!

Unless you're going to reload most factory loads have a full powder burn at about 18" of barrel.  The acceleration curve starts flatening out rather quickly after that point.  18" vs 20" is only about a 30fps difference.  Now if you reload the dynamic changes and you can go to about 24" of usable barrel, but otherwise save the weight and go 18.  It will do everything you need within the effective range of the round.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Most factory ammo 's burn rate is optimized for a 20" barrel.  A 22" or 24" gives you a slight increase in velocity.  if you want to get full use of a 24", you'll need to reload.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 20" DPMS and its been great for me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#8]
You really should consider what ammo you will be shooting first......
Then you know what twist you will need and can look at specific barrels and lengths.

I went with an 18 inch bull barrel 1/8 twist from WOA because I eventually want to mount a suppressor for coyote hunting and throwing another 6-8 inches on a 20 or 24 inch barrel makes the overall gun length to cumbersome for my taste.  

On a lot of our calls we get multiple dogs coming in at once so being able to quickly change positions/shot direction is important to me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You really should consider what ammo you will be shooting first......
Then you know what twist you will need and can look at specific barrels and lengths.

I went with an 18 inch bull barrel 1/8 twist from WOA because I eventually want to mount a suppressor for coyote hunting and throwing another 6-8 inches on a 20 or 24 inch barrel makes the overall gun length to cumbersome for my taste.  

On a lot of our calls we get multiple dogs coming in at once so being able to quickly change positions/shot direction is important to me.
View Quote

What level of accuracy are you getting from that barrel?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one of these:

18" 1:8.  Seems adequate - guaranteed 3/4 MOA - I'm hoping for half that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What level of accuracy are you getting from that barrel?
View Quote

</a>" />

Have killed 20 so far this winter....

edit:
I haven't made it to the range yet to shoot 5 shot groups with it from a bench rest.  I finished building it in the fall, sighted it in at 100 yards shooting baseball size rocks and have been killing coyotes with it since.   Im hoping to take it to an appleseed shoot with my son this summer and test its accuracy out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top