[#2]

Ive done 7 of them.

First one took 2 hours.

I can do one in 20 minutes now.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10 min if all my tools are in front of me but I always forget something and am scrambling around looking for that one tool.  So around 30 min.
View Quote

Yep, about 10 min.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I've built 7 or 8 of them, and counting set up, installing the receiver extension, and clean up, it takes me about 30 minutes.

For your first couple of times, take it slowly and pay attention to each step.  It helps to have the right tools handy; correct-sized punches (roll pin starters and roll pin punches are worth your investment), and especially a complex tool for installing the pivot pin detent (actually, it's a 1/4" clevis pin about 2" long, about 78¢ at TrueValue).  One of the reasons Black Rifle Disease is so contagious is that it really is very easy to build an AR.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
The right tools make a big difference.  I have a cheap drill press vise that I bolted a 3/8" 10"x10" plate to the bottom.  One extra weight keeps it where I put it on my bench/table and two makes the bottom solid to keep it level on smaller drill press tables.  

Also, a couple of improvised tools help make some of the more cumbersome tasks less stressful.  

Homemade taper pins to speed up the FCG install (not necessary by any means, but they help)

Homemade pin for the front pivot pin install (same concept as the clevis pin, plus a small pin to push it all in/together)

Modified auto-punch (modified the tip to mimic a roll pin punch)  Much easier to line up the part, the pin and the punch than to line up all that, plus a hammer and hit it all without slipping

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Should i just wipe the lower parts kit clean, or get in there with a degreaser and lube everything going in?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep it dry while you're building so you can keep hold of the parts. Squirt oil all over afterwards and wipe off excess.

You seem like you're stalling. Just start it, man.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Nah not stalling just havent had time, so over thinking shit... But it will be done tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#9]
You DO want to clean the bee-gee-zus out of the lower and the parts before you start.  Keep them degreased and dry while you build, so you can keep a hold of them (except put a little light grease in the trigger and hammer pin bores just before you install the pins - it helps immensely).  Once the lower is finished, lube the crap out of it and let the lube sit and soak into the nooks and crannies for a while.  This is probably the best way to get lubricants into the many tiny spaces that really need a little bit of lube but are really hard to get to.  Let it sit for a while, maybe even overnight, then wipe down the outside, sit it upside down and let it drip for a few hours before you do anything with it.  This should be the wettest your lower ever needs to get, but it will pay off when you start trying it out.  Way too many people think every stock AR trigger sucks because they never lube them when they assemble them.  Lube after assembly and you'll find out that they aren't all that bad.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Well i started building but the kit was missing the takedown and pivot pin, put everything else together took me about 45 minutes. Was pertty simple what gave me the most trouble was trying to pit the grip bolt on the hole and thread it, no scratches to the finish or dents. Anyhow i wiped all the parts real good and put them in place like that, the video i was watching the guy said its personal choice that he doesnt lube it so it wont collect dust so i just went with what he said. Ill have to wait till they ship me the missing parts to finish it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:11:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I replied to your other thread as well.  If you are in Austin hit me with a IM I can loan you a set til yours come in.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Im in houston buddy, thanks anyways
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool hopefully it goes smooth, my wife wants me to hurry up and finish mine. She wants one built too.
View Quote

Sounds like a keeper!

Don't try to rush it, that's when parts go flying.
If you have any manual dexterity, you wont have problems.
Just take your time and move deliberately. Have the video up as you go. Make sure of spring orientation and that you have the right one.

Good luck and post pics . . . rifles and wife  
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I take my time so I don't scratch anything. 20 min or so.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I take my time so I don't scratch anything. 20 min or so.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#16]
The first lower I assembled took an hour and a half.  A good set of starter punches helps.

My second lower took half that time but I did scratch the lower punching in the pin for the bolt release lever - IMO that's the only pin that's a little awkward to tap in.

If you do scratch the receiver, Birchwood Casey makes a good flat black paint pen that will make the scratch virtually disappear.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#17]
40 min, then 30 min, then 20, now 12 min.  The stupid front takedown pin and bolt release take the most time.
Like any magic trick, once you know how, it ain't Magic no more.
Use 2 layers of masking tape to protect the area near the bolt release to prevent scratching... It's a stupid angle for the punch.

Aluma-black is good for mistakes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I used the channel lock trick on the bolt catch it was a breeze.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#19]
This is what you seek.  http://www.zoro.com/i/G3474791/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&gclid=CNfjhcDam8QCFZNafgodpwMA6g

Smooth jaw channel locks.

Roll pin starter punches make life a little easier.
http://www.amazon.com/Ar15-Roll-Pin-Starter-Punch/dp/B0083UUOOG
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#20]
20-30 mins
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]
It takes me approximately 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Since the kit was missing the takedown pins went to get them and also picked up this FML im hooked.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/540/aZCecA.jpg
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]
about 30 min if I dont lose anything.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top