Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2015 1:27:33 AM EDT
I am attempting to build my first rifle and I am modeling it after the Noveske 13.7" infidel. However, I cant find any gen 3 stripped uppers or lower's online. It seems as though everyone is out of stock. Any help is greatly appreciated. There are several reasons why I want a ground up version of the infidel. First and foremost I dont have all the cash upfront I am planning this build over the next year but more importantly I get to build the rifle with my furniture of choice and upper and lower internals of choice this way. Plus building it over the next year will give me plenty of time to research what parts/furniture I want to go with. If anyone for see's a problem I might run into in going this route please I am all ears. This will be my first build and any tips are welcome. Please dont bombard me with the you can build a whole AR for $500 why pay so much to go the Noveske route I am already aware of that and I am not attempting to be rude but rather avoid that set of posts all together.

Thanks, Nanashi
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:32:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I started my rifle project last April, and didn't complete it until late October. About 2 weeks ago, i switched out the buttstock, grip, optic mount, and bolt release lever to fine tune the rifle to my personal needs and wants. Thats the beauty of the ar-15's modularity, to be able to set it up to best suit the user, and to end up without regret or compromise. Good luck with your project. We look foward to some future pics.

By the way, welcome to the community and if you have a prefered source for out of stock parts, use the "notify me when in stock" feature. Also check out the Industry section of this site for possible info from your prefered vendors.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:34:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure who has noveske gen 3 lowers in stock right now... But, as far as I know, the new gen 3 billet uppers (non vltor) are not being sold separately yet. You have to buy a complete upper to get one.

If I'm wrong about the uppers, someone feel free to correct me, I've been searching for months and haven't had any luck.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
there is a  gen 3 lower on gunbroker right now for around 490 I think. I just recently built a infidel, I used rainierarms.com, rogtac.com, dsgarms.com to pretty much find everything I needed
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I sent an IM to you. Found one for you but it's an auction. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have big bucks for a noveske build, maybe you should learn first on a economy build,
in order to prevent costly mistakes with top tier parts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:50:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have big bucks for a noveske build, maybe you should learn first on a economy build,
View Quote

First off, Thanks for all the responses its really appreciated.

Now on to the quoted response. I was thinking that through my research over the build period and with answers from here on the many questions I am going to have over the build period that would help eliminate some of my mistakes. But also being a build up project I would think all parts are replaceable so mistakes if made could be fixed. With all that said I am actually interested in what mistakes you might think I could make? I dont know it all and I am here to learn.

On a side not I like the 2A armament lightweight lower and none lightweight upper and was maybe thinking about going that route if the Noveske setup wasnt going to work out. Anyone care to comment on that? the none lightened upper because I want the forward assist option.

Who else makes top quality rifles for me to look at and consider building from? Noveske seems to have the top quality and allure that draws me in followed by their outstanding barrels. When you pair that with their gen 3 aesthetics I really like the way their rifles look. Especially the Infidel. Plus the Noveske uppers seem to have a little more meat adding the rigid factor and also longevity of their parts. Not that, that should really be a huge factor I mean Ill be shooting this gun once a month if I am lucky.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:27:56 AM EDT
[#7]
It took me right at 2 years to build my Noveske SPR, it came out just how I wanted it , but was a definite test of patience.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#8]
{This will be my first build and any tips are welcome. Please dont bombard me with the you can build a whole AR for $500 why pay so much to go the Noveske route I am already aware of that and I am not attempting to be rude but rather avoid that set of posts all together.]

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I feel your pain......... I've been looking for a simple 9" NSR rail for over a month.  They're out of stock everywhere and I haven't seen a single one pop up on the exchange.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Now on to the quoted response. I was thinking that through my research over the build period and with answers from here on the many questions I am going to have over the build period that would help eliminate some of my mistakes. But also being a build up project I would think all parts are replaceable so mistakes if made could be fixed. With all that said I am actually interested in what mistakes you might think I could make? I dont know it all and I am here to learn.

On a side not I like the 2A armament lightweight lower and none lightweight upper and was maybe thinking about going that route if the Noveske setup wasnt going to work out. Anyone care to comment on that? the none lightened upper because I want the forward assist option.

Who else makes top quality rifles for me to look at and consider building from? Noveske seems to have the top quality and allure that draws me in followed by their outstanding barrels. When you pair that with their gen 3 aesthetics I really like the way their rifles look. Especially the Infidel. Plus the Noveske uppers seem to have a little more meat adding the rigid factor and also longevity of their parts. Not that, that should really be a huge factor I mean Ill be shooting this gun once a month if I am lucky.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Noveske_Rifleworks_N4_GEN3_Stripped_Lower_Receiver_p/n4-gen3lower.htm

you're welcome. good luck with the build. google harder next time.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:28:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

you're welcome. good luck with the build. google harder next time.

View Quote

That is awesome. Google harder lol I googled for way to long even tried using just the factory part number. I guess I fail at google search. Finally a starting point ill be at my FFL tomorrow working this deal out lol.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:05:56 AM EDT
[#12]
My first build was also a Noveske. I never understood the mindset of build or buy a cheap rifle before an expensive one. I mean, if you're gonna buy an expensive one anyways, you're spending extra money.....

Anyway, DSGArms usually has Gen III lowers in stock. Even if they're back ordered, they will ship sooner than you might think. I did that on an Atlas bipod that was back ordered and I had it within a week. Plus, I've seen a ton of Noveske lowers on the EE lately, although not necessarily stripped. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Parts so far lol. I know I am going overboard here but whatever I am giving myself a year to build this not including optics thats going to be after its built/done or around that time. I am not attempting to build a light weight AR15 but if I can save weight why not.

Mission First stock (black)
V7 Carbine buffer tube
Noveske QD end plate
V7 lightweight castle nut
V7 titanium grip screw
V7 Aluminum buffer retainer and spring
Noveske Gen 3 lower

I want to order the JP silent captured recoil spring, will this be an issue for a Noveske infidel style build or is this going to be fine? When I get the parts (they are in the mail) ill assemble what I have for a photo opt so you guys have something to look at at least. Thanks for the help thus far.

Once I am done building it then I will add the flashlight, scope, red dot, flip up sights, 45* flip up sights, green dot, bi-pod forgrip and possibly an extra flash light did I miss anything? I kid, I kid!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like it will be a nice build! As far as the Balios receivers, there are very nice and I am building a SBR with a set of the lite's in 6.8. The JP silent capture will work just fine in your set up but is almost 4 oz heavier than a standard buffer and spring.  Why not go with the V7 end plate instead of the Noveske?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sounds like it will be a nice build! As far as the Balios receivers, there are very nice and I am building a SBR with a set of the lite's in 6.8. The JP silent capture will work just fine in your set up but is almost 4 oz heavier than a standard buffer and spring.  Why not go with the V7 end plate instead of the Noveske?
View Quote

When this build is done I might do a light weight build. A2 makes some really cool looking equipment and their light mods look awesome.

I figured the JP capture was heavier and thanks for letting me know about how much, in this case I am going this route for two reasons one because it "supposedly" helps smooth out weapon operation and second because apparently regular buffer spring setups are noisy. Looking at the two different designs its not hard to see how the JP improves upon the standard design however this is my first build and I really dont have a clue if any of what I said is really that big of a deal. For instance I dont know how annoying or noisy the original design is and as far as smoothing out the operation I doubt its really that noticeable. All I have to go on is what little research iv done on the equipment. This is a ground up build and I plan to research all parts and while I wont always buy the best part this isnt going to be a cheap build I am sure. Not that I am against cheap builds.

i went with the Noveske QD plate because I cant answer that other than I just wanted that end plate. If i thought the V7 was going to be that much lighter I would have went that route.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:45:30 AM EDT
[#16]

@@@
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I just started my first build based around a 10.5' barrel and Gen III lower.
I was able to get my stripped lower through WIDE OPEN ARMORY for just over $300.

Looks like they are currently out of stock but I see them pop up on there very frequently. And they have some Gen 1's in stock as of today.
Their customer service was top notch when I dealt with them. I was new to AR builds and online firearms shopping; they had no problem holding my hand throughout the whole process.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone have a clue where I could score an infidel complete upper?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is a picture of the progress. It's coming along but not even close to finished.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:56:18 AM EDT
[#20]
More parts on there way.  On order and will post more pictures when parts come in.

A2 ti take down pins
Noveske Infidel upper
Troy Noveske marked flip up sights
V7 light weight mag release
vertex ops light weight v2.0 mag button
Seekings enhanced bolt catch
V7 90* Titanium selector
Mission first tactical magazine
Geissele SSA trigger
B5 grip stop (lanco tactical grip stop)

I also picked up the random springs and detent from Lanco tactical today. I am going to be done with this gun way sooner than I thought kind of. Ill have to take a little brake for now but eventually Ill invest in an optic.

Thanks and pictures to follow in a few days.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Made my first mistake I want to trade the troy sights in and get a set of kac micro 200-600. I like the sight picture and the fact that the are less obtrusive when on target. Well these are assumptions because I've no experience with either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here is a picture of the progress. It's coming along but not even close to finished.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QrHCaQFetlU/VRczhxADrgI/AAAAAAAAAqE/-LDBPRcgJ5U/w1280-h800-p-k/5f7640e4-e473-48af-9f89-4afd00bb506f
View Quote

Did you already tork the castle nut to spec and/or stake the end plate? The reason I ask is I see no take down pin and forgive me for assuming but I'm just wondering why you put the tube on first?

Also a slow build is the best way to get a top quality rifle on a tight budget I am trying but, now I am just buying way faster then I initially wanted and this is just on the lower.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Did you already tork the castle nut to spec and/or stake the end plate? The reason I ask is I see no take down pin and forgive me for assuming but I'm just wondering why you put the tube on first?

Also a slow build is the best way to get a top quality rifle on a tight budget I am trying but, now I am just buying way faster then I initially wanted and this is just on the lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is a picture of the progress. It's coming along but not even close to finished.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QrHCaQFetlU/VRczhxADrgI/AAAAAAAAAqE/-LDBPRcgJ5U/w1280-h800-p-k/5f7640e4-e473-48af-9f89-4afd00bb506f

No I did not torque the castle nut down yet. I simply put that together to look at. and yes like you my build was supposed to last all year and it's pretty much done besides the optic which I haven't decided on yet anyways.

Here is an updated picture. The kac micro sights are ordered and I am just waiting for those. Also I've installed the seekings bolt catch since this picture. I wanted the V7 lightweight tool steel bolt catch but it wasn't in stock, the seekings is nice even still though. In this picture the gun weighs 6.13 pounds. I wasn't going for light weight but I was hopping to be in the 5 pound range. This is a strange setup it has a mix of lightweight parts and heavy parts. To be honest though this build is driven by aesthetics as much as having quality parts mattered to.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice I am also trying to keep the wieght down but not enough to compromise duribility. Give us a update when finished and I got the seekins bolt catch also more for the looks but it helps with the ambi mag catches(for me) because it sticks out more. I don't know what lower I want yet and would love to find a Noveske or one with the ambi bolt catch set up but who knows what I will end up with.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nice I am also trying to keep the wieght down but not enough to compromise duribility. Give us a update when finished and I got the seekins bolt catch also more for the looks but it helps with the ambi mag catches(for me) because it sticks out more. I don't know what lower I want yet and would love to find a Noveske or one with the ambi bolt catch set up but who knows what I will end up with.
View Quote

Good luck picking out your lower. I think seekings makes a lightweight lower that looks good. The nice thing is you can build it however you want your Lego AR to be. I really like the 2A stuff and might do a build from mostly  2A and V7 parts. If you make a post with details on your build link it here. I read this board but not enough so I could miss it.

ROG tactical,

I'd like to thank Mike K over there for helping me out. 2 transactions with them so far and things where great.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When this build is done I might do a light weight build. A2 makes some really cool looking equipment and their light mods look awesome.

I figured the JP capture was heavier and thanks for letting me know about how much, in this case I am going this route for two reasons one because it "supposedly" helps smooth out weapon operation and second because apparently regular buffer spring setups are noisy. Looking at the two different designs its not hard to see how the JP improves upon the standard design however this is my first build and I really dont have a clue if any of what I said is really that big of a deal. For instance I dont know how annoying or noisy the original design is and as far as smoothing out the operation I doubt its really that noticeable. All I have to go on is what little research iv done on the equipment. This is a ground up build and I plan to research all parts and while I wont always buy the best part this isnt going to be a cheap build I am sure. Not that I am against cheap builds.

i went with the Noveske QD plate because I cant answer that other than I just wanted that end plate. If i thought the V7 was going to be that much lighter I would have went that route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The JP Spring is noticeable when you shoot suppressed. I didn't notice much of a change in noise or function when unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There can always be something that is inadvertently overlooked. I propose learning how to pound pins in on a cheaper lower or upper just to get used to it. You may not want your safe queen to bear learning scars from aberrant punch strikes. Also, you will learn how much torque should be applied, with the appropriate tools. The case in point would be muzzle devices, timing barrel nuts, and tightening and staking castle nuts (believe me you want a tester to work on a good staking technique). Lightweight is all the rage -- battle arms or Noveske plus V7 weapon systems is sexy. Good luck on the building
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There can always be something that is inadvertently overlooked. I propose learning how to pound pins in on a cheaper lower or upper just to get used to it. You may not want your safe queen to bear learning scars from aberrant punch strikes. Also, you will learn how much torque should be applied, with the appropriate tools. The case in point would be muzzle devices, timing barrel nuts, and tightening and staking castle nuts (believe me you want a tester to work on a good staking technique). Lightweight is all the rage -- battle arms or Noveske plus V7 weapon systems is sexy. Good luck on the building
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My main mistake with my first rifle is it was not an SBR. My first was an 18 inch. Then a 16 then a 14.5 with a pinned muzzle break. Now I finally have the rifle I wanted with a 11.5 SBR with suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I would love to get a stamp. ideas... ideas...
For now, my pinned 14.7" are great. I figure I don't need to get approval for moving across
state lines, etc. Also, the LEOs around here are not helpful in signing forms.
However, I've been contiplating whether to get a trust
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would love to get a stamp. ideas... ideas...
For now, my pinned 14.7" are great. I figure I don't need to get approval for moving across
state lines, etc. Also, the LEOs around here are not helpful in signing forms.
However, I've been contiplating whether to get a trust
View Quote

A trust is the way to go. No LEO signature and no passport photos. Plus they say trust get approved faster although I am not sure if that is true. The current wait times are really short compared to what they were a while ago. My first suppressor took over a year to get approved. Currently I have heard of 4 month approvals.

SBR approval to go across state line is easy one form filled out and mailed in and it is good for a year to the destination you put on the form. Suppressors can freely go across state lines with no approval needed.

Just watch out it is an very addictive sport. I now have 2 SBRs and 5 suppressors with one more pending approval.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:15:51 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Safe queen is an insult, I am planning to train and shoot the heck out of it. I built the gun this way because to my eye its "pretty". But also I have learned a lot from here on the forum and all over the net about the parts I have been installing. Now I plan to learn to shoot with iron sights while saving the pennies for an optic. I have a lot to learn on optics anyway before I decide what I want to go with. Also being a mechanic I already have practice staking and torquing various things. I actually dont plan on staking the castle nut anyway. Thanks, for all the advice though it was headed and excepted. I just had to fire back a little because insulted my wall ornaments lol.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No I did not torque the castle nut down yet. I simply put that together to look at. and yes like you my build was supposed to last all year and it's pretty much done besides the optic which I haven't decided on yet anyways.

Here is an updated picture. The kac micro sights are ordered and I am just waiting for those. Also I've installed the seekings bolt catch since this picture. I wanted the V7 lightweight tool steel bolt catch but it wasn't in stock, the seekings is nice even still though. In this picture the gun weighs 6.13 pounds. I wasn't going for light weight but I was hopping to be in the 5 pound range. This is a strange setup it has a mix of lightweight parts and heavy parts. To be honest though this build is driven by aesthetics as much as having quality parts mattered to.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GgafA-vqHTQ/VTHHgC9XRBI/AAAAAAAAArk/JV3GOa2rKDk/w480-h480/accca8dc-0a97-4c74-bb00-b4841dbb6bfc
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1sdQ3xabL7c/VTHHgKZctVI/AAAAAAAAArk/ePwmOkMvH5A/w480-h480/6f595005-41c2-41de-b704-031adf975707
View Quote

You can knock off a lot of weight by getting rid of that flaming pig. 7 ounces is a lot of weight to hang on the end of a barrel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#33]
lol I never meant to insult you. It would be my safe queen after a thousand rounds. There's always a case of bad ammo causing a kaboom.
Props on getting educated on the build before hand -- I work on cars too -- just apart of being methodical.

Also, I will keep the trust in mind -- maybe a xmas gift to myself. I have a UCWRG billet just begging to get engraved.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Made my first mistake I want to trade the troy sights in and get a set of kac micro 200-600. I like the sight picture and the fact that the are less obtrusive when on target. Well these are assumptions because I've no experience with either.
View Quote
I was going to talk you out of the Troy sights, I'm glad you came to that conclusion on your own. Not only are the troys kind of bulky compared to what's out there now, they changed their clamp style to accommodate more variation in pic rail widths ("NATO spec" or whatever it's referred to as). On top of all that, the noveske marked ones come at a premium for no reason (and this is coming from a fanboy).

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I now have the seekings bolt catch, Kac micro sights, I replaced the forward assist, the qd plate and the port door/rod with the V7 lightweight aluminum and ti parts installed. The rifle ways 7.04 pounds with an unloaded magazine. I'm probably going to add a fortress mounts with an aim point t2 down the line. Maybe a flashlight as well who knows that stuff is down the line. I'll update with a picture this weekend. I'm also still wanting to get the JP Full mass carrier and the Jp silent capture spring set.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#36]
6.12 pounds with no mag. I need to add a sling and down the road I'll get a t2 probably. Heres an updated picture for now.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z2val0SK1p8/VVbAqOkZKYI/AAAAAAAAAsc/xcZdn7w3Yvs/w480-h480/f6dc24d6-46c4-4959-9c32-f6bb3d6c00a0
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top