Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2015 12:30:24 PM EDT
Considering swapping my carry handle upper for a flat top and removing the front sight and hand guards and going free float with a low profile gas block.

Can anyone recommend a decent price rail for a 20"?

I have a PSG stock that I will replace the full sized fixed stock.

I figure I can always put it back to 'stock' if I want.

Anything I should look out for?   This will be my first upper build
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#1]
do you have the tools to secure the receiver and remove the barrel?  Midwest Industries makes good rails at a decent price and the UTG Pro rails are supposed to be good. Check out BCM or Primary Arms, they usually have good prices on rails. Since you're going to remove the FSB and use a low pro gas block make sure you also buy a new crush washer for the flash hider since the washers are a one time use item.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the 15" version of the Diamondhead v-rs T would look beautiful on a 20" barrel build. I have one on my 300 blk pistol and just ordered the 13.5" for my 18" build. easily the most comfortable rail i've held, barrel nut is independent of the gas tube, and is torqued using a simple crescent wrench (or crow's foot if you're a stickler for torque specs).

best of luck.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
do you have the tools to secure the receiver and remove the barrel?  Midwest Industries makes good rails at a decent price and the UTG Pro rails are supposed to be good. Check out BCM or Primary Arms, they usually have good prices on rails. Since you're going to remove the FSB and use a low pro gas block make sure you also buy a new crush washer for the flash hider since the washers are a one time use item.

View Quote

Yes we have the tools among friends.

Thanks for the rail suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
A2 Scope Mount Weaver Picatinny Rail

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you are looking to replace everything but the barrel and BCG. Why not just buy a barrel and build a new upper?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sounds like you are looking to replace everything but the barrel and BCG. Why not just buy a barrel and build a new upper?
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I figured I had a decent barrel so I might as well use it, you make a good point, whats another $200 LOL
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]

I have one od those that I had a good varmint scope on but would rather have a flat top
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I figured I had a decent barrel so I might as well use it, you make a good point, whats another $200 LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you have two uppers and a lower receiver is sl $50
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Colt HBAR that I considered doing the same to.  Instead I just built 5 more...it is really hard to stop.  I have 2 more in the making.  In all fairness I told my wife that everyone in the family needs their own and kit to go with it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
In the same boat. Purchased a McKay 20" 1/7 barrel for a M16a1 kit/ NDS build. The pinning of the front sight had me looking for a good smith. Found an a1 original barrel assembly on the EE. Have been gathering parts for a build for this extra barrel. PSA upper, BCG and lower w/ LPK,  UTG Pro 15" FF tube (nice btw), low .625 gas block, LaRue stock and grip, LaRue 104 mount w/a Redfield 3-9 scope, and the tools to assemble. Just about ready to start tackle this project once I can get good weather to get out to the barn and use the vice. I hope the long barrel will give good accuracy. Between this and the a1 build I'm looking forward to warmer weather.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a Colt HBAR that I considered doing the same to.  Instead I just built 5 more...it is really hard to stop.  I have 2 more in the making.  In all fairness I told my wife that everyone in the family needs their own and kit to go with it.
View Quote

lol, the disease is in full swing
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:48:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anything I should look out for?   This will be my first upper build
View Quote

if you do the swap make sure your barrel has the same type of feedramps as the upper.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In all fairness I told my wife that everyone in the family needs their own and kit to go with it.
View Quote

I'm trying to figure out how to float this concept at my house.

I've used both Midwest Industries SS and UTG Pro rails. The MI has a barrel nut you have to time, which is kind of a pain. The UTG installs easy but doesn't have much room in it, so you can't use a clamp on block. Both are good bang for the buck.

You could also look at using a two-piece handguard if you want to keep things really simple. All you would need to convert is a stripped upper and the handguard. I'm guessing you can re-use the forward assist and dust cover assemblies from your current upper.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top