Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2015 1:47:35 AM EDT
Well took long enough to start this project but finally got my lower built, the only issue I got was the roll pin isn't going in, it seems like the lower whole is smaller then the pin, anyway no biggie I think I'm about to order a diff trigger guard and I'll deal with that issue then..

Now I have to save some cash and build an upper, I wanted to just buy something cheap so I can have it done, but figured why do this twice I'll get what I really want so it takes longer it will all be worth it in the long run..

I know this has been a blast and it might be might first but won't be my last I'm loving this...

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#1]
You can "squash" the end of the roll pin slightly to get it started and then tap it on home.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man I'm gonna try that when my new trigger guard comes in
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice work, stunter.  I like to drive that particular pin home with visegrips (pad the jaws with tape), to keep from snapping off the little tab on the far side of the lower receiver.  I would only hammer it home with a punch if I had some kind of fixture to support the lower at that point. - CW
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The one I built yesterday was done in haste.
I have a set of punches specifically for the smithing box on a truck headed this way, but couldnt wait.

What i did have was a framing hammer... a dremmel cut off tool mandrel, and about a 3/8" o.d. x 5" long clevice pin with a nice square end.

And the corner of a crafts working bench I built for the Wife... (leather, wood burning, carving, sculpting, etc.. and so on)

The only roll pin that gave me any guff was the trigger guard roll pin like you are having the issue with...
I supported the "ears" on a corner of the bench... held steady and positioned the lil dremmel mandrel with my left hand and kept trying to set the pin in the hole with little taps trying to be careful...
Not so much...
Smack that sucker in there. Once it starts the stress level drops and it goes the rest of the way pretty easy.

Congrats on the first lower!
Between this and modifying my truck im gonna go broke lol
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top