Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 11:07:57 AM EDT
Not even sure if this belongs here, but I figured I should ask.

Say I buy a 14.5" barrel, get a AAC 51T FH, (which is 2.5" in length) and get it pinned and welded.

I'm just making sure that I won't have to file any Forms of any sort prior to pinning and welding the muzzle device?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#1]
No forms.

Just remember to have your barrel nut and gas block on before you pin and weld.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No forms.

Just remember to have your barrel nut and gas block on before you pin and weld.
View Quote

Thanks! Now it's time to start sourcing parts and building!!!  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#3]
14.5" + 2.5"= 17" - 1/2" or so of thread overlap =16.5". So yes you are OK.

Disclaimer; this was calculated using old style math not that new and improved version my kids come home with.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
14.5" + 2.5"= 17" - 1/2" or so of thread overlap =16.5". So yes you are OK.

Disclaimer; this was calculated using old style math not that new and improved version my kids come home with.
View Quote

Isn't that the truth. I taught 5th grade math 10 years ago. My daughter is now in 5th grade and I can't help her with it. I don't get it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If you look around some retailers like Rainier will say how much overall length is added with a muzzle device.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Listed Barrel Length + Listed Muzzle Device Length + Washer or Shim Thickness - Muzzle Threads (0.625") = Barrel O.A.L.

NOTE: Before doing pin and weld; get verified measurements before proceeding by measuring barrel length using a dowel, and verified measurement of how far back muzzle threads are cut back because some barrels are cut back less than the specification listed above.

My 14.5" barrel actually measured 14.625", and I used a B.E. Meyers 249F Flash Hider which gave me a barrel o.a.l. of 16.875" (16-7/8").

14.625" + 2.75" + 0.125" - 0.625" = 16.875"
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Exactly how deep does the pin have to go into the barrel? Can you use a set screw and dimmpled barrel and weld over the set screw?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not aware of any listed depth, just that it has to be below the height of the threads to that it cannot be unscrewed.

Double-check that your barrel+muzzle device will get you to 16." It would really suck to pin and weld your barrel and have it measure 15.9."
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Again thanks for the additional oversight that I've been lacking. Will post updates as the parts come in and the build starts to take off.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Exactly how deep does the pin have to go into the barrel? Can you use a set screw and dimmpled barrel and weld over the set screw?
View Quote

I drilled 3/32" of an inch into the barrel, measuring from the top of a thread; I set my drill press feed to stop at this depth to prevent me from breaking through into the bore.

Also, after I drilled out the flash hider and barrel, I cut off the shank of the drill bit I used to use as the blind pin.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:39:36 AM EDT
[#11]
You can also use this VooDoo barrel that comes with the flash hider already pinned and welded...the OD is .74" so your barrel nut and gas block can be installed over it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
You can do silver solder yourself

That is what I would do but I have the torch already
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I like this package and it is reasonably priced
Bravo Pinned Flash Hider
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like this package and it is reasonably priced
Bravo Pinned Flash Hider
View Quote

It's nice, but I have plans to mount a suppressor on this stick. Thanks though.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top