Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2015 4:43:34 AM EDT
I bought a Mega Arms Billet GTR-3H stripped lower receiver today with the intention of using it for an SBR build. I love the Geissele MK5 rail and want to use it on my gun, but I've been told that the MK2 doesn't fit very well with some billet receivers. Is this a problem with the MK5 and Mega Arms receivers? I didn't think it would be an issue since the receiver is mil-spec. And I can't seem to find any information on such a specific problem. If anyone knows anything, replies would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The fit issue with the Geissele SMR rails is generally with the upper receiver, not the lower.  Specifically, billet uppers that are not milspec width at the bottom of where the rail attaches will not fit in between the anti-rotation tabs.  This requires filing down the tabs (or the receiver, if possible) to mate the two.  I just went through this with my ASA upper and a Mk4 M-Lok:

Before:

After:

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:15:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fit issue with the Geissele SMR rails is generally with the upper receiver, not the lower.  Specifically, billet uppers that are not milspec width at the bottom of where the rail attaches will not fit in between the anti-rotation tabs.  This requires filing down the tabs (or the receiver, if possible) to mate the two.  I just went through this with my ASA upper and a Mk4 M-Lok:

Before:
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b563/CarpNY/SMRASA2_zps76cf41d6.jpg

After:
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b563/CarpNY/SMRASA5_zpsr7fiqgu1.jpg

View Quote

Mega has two different billet lower receiver models: one that fits forged upper receivers and one that is machined specifically to fit the company's upper billet receiver. I bought the one that fits the billet upper receiver; thus, I'm locked into buying the billet upper receiver down the road. But the upper is mil-spec and I assumed that its mil-spec for the entire unit. I didn't think that some had dimensions that weren't.

Thanks for the pics. I can see how that might be a problem. What did you use to file it down with?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:03:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Mega Arms product description says that their upper accepts the anti-rotation tabs! Sweet!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What did you use to file it down with?
View Quote

A ... um ... file.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mega Arms product description says that their upper accepts the anti-rotation tabs! Sweet!
View Quote

the geissele tabs are different, MEGA redesigned their uppers for handguards that has anti-rotation tabs on the top, not the bottom
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:24:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mega has two different billet lower receiver models: one that fits forged upper receivers and one that is machined specifically to fit the company's upper billet receiver.
View Quote

The "H" lower is machined to match the hexagonal shape of their billet upper, but it will still accept a normal forged upper.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The "H" lower is machined to match the hexagonal shape of their billet upper, but it will still accept a normal forged upper.
View Quote

Aside: I'd say that it's octagonal (side are perpendicular to sides):

I'm considering to match the SMR/ASA profile that I have going, which are both octagonal.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just picked up this upper and hand guard. They do not work together out of the box, I took a dremel with sanding wheel to the hand guard tabs and knocked them down a bit now it fits like a glove.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top