Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2015 12:02:27 AM EDT
Do I put it in dry??? And what about anti-seize on the nut?? If I use grease, what kind?? New to building AR's, I have been bitten, and my wife is going nuts keeping up with the check book!!!! LOLOLOL

Thanks, Anthony
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:43:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I use white lithium grease on the barrel nut. You can get it at a hardware store or HD. People use different types of grease, but it is just there to lube the nut when torqueing and to resist seizing when/if you want to change the barrel at some time.  

Barrel goes in the receiver dry unless you want to bed it with Loktite. Some people bed the barrel when the fit is loose. I haven't felt the need to bed any of my barrels.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:17:21 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

Thank you for linking my article!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The military TM is available on this site on the main page.
Find it and read it.
Aeroshell 33MS meets the current mil-spec for barrel assembly grease, there are others that do also.
There are some sources for small amounts of the Aeroshell grease, I think the Umbrella Corp is one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I use plain old high temp wheel bearing grease.

As for the barrel extension, I don't apply anything.  The inside of the upper is anodized, the barrel is either stainless or treated with a corrosion resistant finish; I have never seen or heard of a barrel becoming stuck in a receiver due to corrosion on an otherwise serviceable weapon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As for the barrel extension, I don't apply anything.  The inside of the upper is anodized, the barrel is either stainless or treated with a corrosion resistant finish; I have never seen or heard of a barrel becoming stuck in a receiver due to corrosion on an otherwise serviceable weapon.
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here just do not use any containing graphite, no need to use expensive Aeroshell 33 grease

FWIW NSZ85 I love your videos and look at them regularly.

Vince
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#8]
How about Aero shell # 7, and I also have some aero shell # 5. Is any of these compatible with the other Aero shell??? NSZ85 you have some awesome videos!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:06:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't build without AeroShell...even new complete uppers are torn down and assembled properly before use, I've seen too much poor QC to risk it.

Really, $15-$20 for a whole tube of AeroShell isn't going to break anybody, so its not expensive to buy quality grease.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't build without AeroShell...even new complete uppers are torn down and assembled properly before use, I've seen too much poor QC to risk it.

Really, $15-$20 for a whole tube of AeroShell isn't going to break anybody, so its not expensive to buy quality grease.
View Quote

I do the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

As opposed to $3 for a tube of brand name quality synthetic grease yes it is. I am not saying that Aeroshell is not a good grease, only that there are other greases that will do just as good for less money outlay YMMV.

Vince
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No worries, I enjoy your channel
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As opposed to $3 for a tube of brand name quality synthetic grease yes it is. I am not saying that Aeroshell is not a good grease, only that there are other greases that will do just as good for less money outlay YMMV.

Vince
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

I completely agree, any grease is better than none...I just prefer the AeroShell.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I do the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do the same thing.

And a tube of aeroshell will last for loads and loads of builds and then some
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:12:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do the same thing.

Exactly, that way I know I'm not going to run out any time in the next few years.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top