Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2015 6:16:39 PM EDT
New here so hello! I bought my first AR in October switching from an mini-14 and haven't looked back. I bought a Bushy xm15-e2s but now I want more. I have been trying to plan out my next AR and I want to go towards building my own but I think my next one will just be piecing a complete upper and lower together. That being said I would like hear opinions or ideas on my plan. Im looking at a Stag 3gh upper and mating it with a Complete Spikes Tactical Spider lower. But what is good? What are other options that would have a similar outcome? Any and all help is appreciated! Will be used as a coyote/ prairie dog gun and budget is $1200 or under not including optics.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
New here so hello! I bought my first AR in October switching from an mini-14 and haven't looked back. I bought a Bushy xm15-e2s but now I want more. I have been trying to plan out my next AR and I want to go towards building my own but I think my next one will just be piecing a complete upper and lower together. That being said I would like hear opinions or ideas on my plan. Im looking at a Stag 3gh upper and mating it with a Complete Spikes Tactical Spider lower. But what is good? What are other options that would have a similar outcome? Any and all help is appreciated!
View Quote

What do you want to do with this ar? Personally, if i were to spend that much on an upper, id go with BCM or DD
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It is going to be a coyote/prairie dog gun. Needs to be more accurate than my Bushmaster. To be honest the only reason the Stag upper caught my eye was looks. I want a stainless barrel and would prefer a complete upper since I don't have the tools to build with.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#3]
state the purpose of this particular build and a budget and that can get your started.

You mentioned precision. expand on what you want in your precision setup
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Original post has been updated with price and purpose. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I just did much the same thing. Spikes has good stuff. Bought spikes stripped lower and went from there. Building a lower is no big deal. Bunch of stuff on Youtube. Then you can choose what parts you want in it. For varmint rifle you'll need a good trigger. Spend as much as you can. I also highly recommend the Rock River Varmint upper. It's heavy but its worth it. Very accurate.

Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Then you can choose what parts you want in it. For varmint rifle you'll need a good trigger.
View Quote

Can anybody recommend a good trigger for a varmit rifle?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
honestly with that much budget i'd get a precision barrel from a well known maker, standard forged upper lightweight freefloat forend and just send all the parts to adco for a final assembly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Geissele SSA-E.   Very nice. Geissele has installation videos on youtube also.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I would recommend  cmc triggers and now they have two stage triggers comes in one complete drop in piece. very easy to instal  and good results

www.buckeyearbuilder.com
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input! Am I better off buying a stripped lower and buying the parts I want? Or buying a complete lower and changing out the parts I want and having spare parts?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]
That just depends if you want to build it or not. Buying a complete lower is simpler and gets you shooting sooner. I think building it is part of the fun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I think building would be fun and more rewarding but that being said I don't have any tools. What am I looking to spend to get tools also?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a builder (with the bug as well) and built my first lower on a dresser. If you have the bug then build. learn as much info on your options as you can and there is a million options. if you assemble quality parts you will get a quality rifle. for building you have a big budget and have the opportunity to build something great.

www.buckeyearbuilder.com
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a armorers wrench some punches and a hammer and u can build a lower

www.buckeyearbuilder.com
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the help guys! I think I have everything narrowed down!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#16]
If maximum accuracy is what you are after then a Wylde chambered barrel is what you want.

If a 16" is what you want then here is an option

Aero 16" Wylde upper

This fits with your Build lower/ pin upper build idea.

Aero also also has lowers so browse around.

With a good optic & good ammo .75MOA is possible.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Can someone explain the difference between a 5.56 upper and a .223 wylde upper? Can I shoot .223 ammo? If so that changes the game haha
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can someone explain the difference between a 5.56 upper and a .223 wylde upper? Can I shoot .223 ammo? If so that changes the game haha
View Quote

If you have the 5.56 upper, you can shoot both 5.56 and .223, if you have the .223, you cant shoot the 5.56.  The 5.56 ammo has more pressure.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#19]
223 wylde will shoot 5.56 and 223 safely
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I too just recently was "talked into a build" by a buddy who only shoots AR's. I'm a bolt guy, but boy am I glad! RGUNS lower, cmmg lower parts kit with trigger, MI Gen 2 SS Handguard, DPMS micro (.936) gas block, WOA 20" heavy target barrel, Spike BCG, MI Heavy Duty Scope mount, basic Magpul rifle stock-easiest rifle I've ever done, no recoil, light and with only 30 handloads through her so far, shooting sub-moa at 100yrds. I'm addicted! gonna get a CMC, or Timney and I probably won't ever pick up my bolt rifles again.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Wylde chamber primarily has a different lead/throat, along with some other differences, that alows it to be more accurate. It is designed to shoot heavier projo's so it is more suited to longer range accuracy & energy retention.

It is the go to chamber for serious target & long range shooters.

You can use any loading available for the caliber. This includes 223Rem & 556 NATO. There are also loads available in the heavier range of 65-80+grns that this chamber was designed for.

The advantage here is the resistance to wind drift the heavier projos offer.

Do some searching. You will find reviews of various factory rifles that do very well with Black Hills & other match grade ammo in the Wylde chamber. Unless you are a skilled shooter it will outshoot your capabilities. Which, IMO, is a good thing beause until you reach the level of what it can do, you will strive to be a better shot & work at it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:13:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I too just recently was "talked into a build" by a buddy who only shoots AR's. I'm a bolt guy, but boy am I glad! RGUNS lower, cmmg lower parts kit with trigger, MI Gen 2 SS Handguard, DPMS micro (.936) gas block, WOA 20" heavy target barrel, Spike BCG, MI Heavy Duty Scope mount, basic Magpul rifle stock-easiest rifle I've ever done, no recoil, light and with only 30 handloads through her so far, shooting sub-moa at 100yrds. I'm addicted! gonna get a CMC, or Timney and I probably won't ever pick up my bolt rifles again.
View Quote

Welcome to the club bro!

I agree 100%.

White Oak makes some nice stuff.

Next build, & you know you will, try an ARP. You will not be disapointed. Their fluted 23Wyldes are wicked accurate, especially for the money.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the info, I just checked out ARP's website-maybe a 6.5 grendel next, my bolt .260 rem is killer accurate, and I already have the 6.5 stuff!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top