Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2015 9:15:19 PM EDT
Well, almost; still gotta snag a Timney trigger.  Otherwise, though, I believe this is the final configuration.  It is long overdue, as I had ordered a complete 24" bull upper back in mid '12, called the builder to make a change, couldn't reach him for weeks, got cold feet and cancelled the card.  Then I got sidetracked with shorty builds, then a couple more 16" carbines (not to mention my RC addiction during the ammo crisis).  But after much delay, I finally rounded up all the parts and put it together.  

Breakdown is as follows....

from JSE Surplus:

Wilson 22" 1:8 moly bull barrel: $160
DPMS .936 gas block: $17
Gas tube: $10
Forward assist kit: $10
Dust cover kit: $6
CMMG LPK: $60
UTG "Sniper" grip: $15
A2 buffer: $12
A2 extension: $15
Buffer spring: $4
Young 15" vented FF Tube: $65
Shipping: $10

Then I went to DSA for the BCG, $79 shipped

Had the Nib charging handle, think that was $25 when I bought it from DSA

Upper (stripped) and lower (80% anodized) came from tactical machining, $92 shipped

Stock was an eBay seller, $127 shipped for a Luth-AR MBS.

I was going to run a Weaver V16 UFCH dot, as I really like the one on my 700 LVSF.  But then I ran across a seller liquidating these Pentax scopes for $120 shipping, thought "why not?".  The coiled cord for the power zoom remote switch is a little obnoxious, but it seems like a decent scope, and the power zoom feature is  kinda cool.  Not a scope I'd want on a hunting rifle, but for a bench/varmint gun, I don't mind the weight, bulk and cord.

Got it all together, then realized that as much as I like the feel of the UTG grip, it does create a problem with the standard selector; you really can't reach it without repositioning your hand.  So I grabbed one of the oversize DPMS selectors while I was ordering bullets from Midway, $13 there.  It did have to be modified to clear the grip, but now I can actuate the selector without braking my grip.

Lastly, the extra 30mm rings I had were junk, so I ordered on the the Promag US-made aluminum one piece hi rise mounts, which I really like.  $53 on that critter.

So, all in, it's a semi-budget build, just a couple bucks shy of $900 right now, before the Timney trigger.  

Gonna see how she shoots tomorrow, though it will just be with 55 gr FMJ and some 50 gr V max loads.  I have some 75 Gr Hornady BTHP pills, but I used up the last of the 5.56 brass I had here making .300 BLK earlier in the week, so gonna have to actually sort and clean from our range buckets before I can see how it does with match grade ammo.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice! How's it shoot?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
What is your intended use? I ask because it looks heavy. I had built a simular rifle years ago for hunting but it was to heavy to even use.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#3]
How's it shoot?
View Quote

Find out tomorrow!  I expect it to be MOA, even with the stock trigger handicap.  At least it oughtta be with the 50 gr. handloads.  We'll really realize it's potential with the Timney trigger and running  neck sized brass with match bullets.  Wilson AR barrels are supposed to be pretty good, and neck sizing the brass just about negates chamber and headspace tolerances; I have an NEF .22 Hornet that was ~1.5-2 MOA with most loads, and neck sizing the brass cut the group size nearly in half.  Hoping this critter will do 3/4 MOA or better once I get the loads dialed in.  I think it will  

What is your intended use? I ask because it looks heavy.
View Quote

It is  heavy; 14.7 lbs w/loaded 20 rounder.  It's for bench and prairie dogs.  I have a .220 Swift, but if they're inside 400 yards, no sense in using up barrel life on that one.  And an AR is a lot faster between targets on a busy dog town.  If I want to walk around chasing predators or big game, I have many rifles under 9 lbs: four 16" carbines, three SBR uppers, four Remington 700s (.17 rem, .25-06 Rem, 8mm Rem Mag, .375 RUM), a 673 .350 mag, an 1894 .44 mag, an 1895SS .45-70, a 336W .30-30, a model 14 .32 Rem, and over a dozen milsurps in 6.5x50, 6.5x52, 6.5x55, 7x57, 7.35x51, 7.5x54, 7.5x55, 7.62x39, 7.62x54, 7.7x58, .303, .30-06, 8x57.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
No question about Wilson barrels.  My WOA 20" varmint utilizes a Wilson barrel and it's a driver.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#5]
You got a link to where you got the handguard? Can't seem to find it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]
You got a link to where you got the handguard? Can't seem to find it.
View Quote

http://www.jsesurplus.com/youngmanufacturing15rifleventedfloat.aspx
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Beautiful ... a lot like mine
I love mine and being heavy to me is a bonus few people recognize
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, it shot great!  Not a single hiccup, and excellent accuracy.

It was nothing to write home about with ball ammo, running 100 yard groups of 1.3 MOA with PMC and 1.6 MOA with ZQI.  It was with the 50 gr. Hornady Z-Max handloads that it shined, producing consistent .5-.7 MOA 5 shot groups.

I'm really excited to see what I can do with match ammo, put together a couple boxes of 75 gr Hornady BTHP last night.  Unfortunately, the brass between my rifle and my buddy's (a similar build) got mixed up, so FL resizing on this batch.  Next time I'll keep it separated so I can neck size.  I'm thinking this rifle has sub-.5 MOA potential with some load development and a better trigger!

I'm definitely sold on WIlson barrels!
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
...and how much does it weigh??  I'm guessing about 13 lbs?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]

...and how much does it weigh?? I'm guessing about 13 lbs?
View Quote

14.7 with a loaded 20 round mag.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I purchased this wilson freefloat for my own bull barrel setup. I am having trouble attaching a bipod.  The pictany rail I purchased had mounting holes that did not align with the free float.

Sixtysixdeuce, do you have any insight on how to attach a bipod to this freefloat?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Sixtysixdeuce, do you have any insight on how to attach a bipod to this freefloat?
View Quote

I ditched the picatinny clamp on the bipod and milled a 1" radius into the bipod iself, then screwed it on at the sling screw hole

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top