Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/26/2015 5:53:37 PM EDT
Before the "need" jokes start..yes, I'm aware that I don't need a new barrel...I guess I can say "should I want a new barrel?" I've recently built a AR pistol for close up fun so I decided to re-purpose my rifle for longer shooting. Today I purchased a Vortex HP 3-12x42 scope and I'm debating if my current barrel setup is ideal.

Current setup:

-Rock River Arms Entry Tactical
-16" 1:9 twist HBAR barrel, carbine length gas (non-chrome lined)
-non-free float handguard, A2 sightpost

Now...I'm not talking about a 1000yd shooter here...I'm going to bench this fella at 100-300yds. I gotta say..this guy is a shooter...I've had great luck with it and it eats anything I run in it. No matter what, I'm going to have to drop that sightpost for a different gas block and get a different handguard. I'm not the biggest fan of the feel of a bipod that close to the magwell, I'd like to go with at least a 12" free float...unless I go with a new barrel in which case, I'll go longer. After redoing this AR with a new gas block and handguard...keeping a less than ideal barrel seemed kind of silly. So...

Doing some reading, I'd really like to go to a 18" .223 wylde stainless barrel...you know, because. I really don't want to go 20" just in case I do indeed have to lug this guy so I thinking an 18" may work well. A 1:8 twist seems to be a nice happy medium...where I may shoot some 70+gr from time to time...I need to be able to remain in the real world where I'm going to be shooting either 55gr ammo 80% of the time and 69gr match 20% of the time. A 1:8 seems good for this.

Now...it seems that Nordic, Rainier, Odin, and Seekins, come up over and over and seem to be within my "$325-w-gas block" range.

So...thoughts? is the 1:9 16" perfectly fine for 1-300yds? Is it probably a good idea doing a barrel swap? If so...223 wylde 18" a good option?

As usual...any advice is welcome...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
At that range your 16" barrel is fine, but an 18" will get you about 200fps more so a bit more range, and a bit less flash and boom due to achieving complete powder burn.  The Wylde chamber would give you the flexibility of using 5.56 without giving up much for accuracy, but I tell ya I've got a 5.56 Rainier select 18" that's shooting about .75moa with my handloads (69gr SMKs over Varget).  

As for twists 1:8 or 1:7 will let you shoot anything, including the heavier pills.  

A couple I'd recommend for the $$ is my Rainier Select, but the Voodoo 18" 1:7 fluted and melonited that VTS is selling is a really nice barrel for under $300.  I've built 2 rifles with that barrel and both are shooters.  ARP has some nice stuff for lower price range, and BHW makes the Select barrels for Rainier.

Ultimately there's no wrong answer, keep what you've got that you know shoots well, or upgrade.  Both will do your 300yds easily.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
a RRA hbar will shoot 1 moa so you should be in good shape.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Well...perhaps I was barking up the wrong tree then...

I managed a 5-shot, .833 group from 75yds with 69gr Sierra Match King (screwing around with an EOTech and 3x magnifier)...shooting prone. If a 16" barrel is good to go at 2-300yds...guess I'll just save the $$ then. Can't complain about that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#4]
At that range your 16" barrel is fine, but an 18" will get you about 200fps more so a bit more range
View Quote

More like 60-80 FPS, 100 max FPS.  +/- ~30-50 FPS per inch for rifle cartridges when within 5-6" of ideal length.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
AR15Performance has a great 18" fluted SPR barrel, I've shot xm855 out to 700 yards with it (24" gong).
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]
If the barrel is RRA as well then it probably is already a wylde chamber. Adding 2" probably won't make that big a difference at that yardage.
If you wanted to stretch it out to 500+ I would recommend more barrel.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I also have an RRA and will say that your current barrel will get the job done.  However, I did the same thing you are thinking about.  I built one of mine into a DMR using this barrel and Im really impressed by it.  It is punching dime sized groups at 100.  I haven't shot it farther yet, but I cant wait.

https://ballisticadvantagellc.com/?product=5-56-20-dmr-rifle-2

The quality and finish of the barrel are excellent.  I recommend you taking a look at them.  Here is an 18" in their proprietary profile and it weighs less than 2 lbs.

https://ballisticadvantagellc.com/?product=5-56-17-7-hanson-midlength-1

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I think you are on the right track. I've bought 3 barrels from Rainier and have been very happy. A select, match, and Ultra match. (16, 7.5, 12.5)
Also my voodoo (7.5) is a lot more solid than I was expecting. But I also enjoy SBRs a lot more.

I think if I was going to build a precision 5.56 upper I would be interested in checking out these Wilson Combat barrels after watching this video. Now im not calling this video bullshit... but it did peak my interest for sure.

Also too me, anything more than 16" better be a 308 for my collection.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#9]
For the heavy bullets ideally you probably need a 1:8 twist.
I have both lengths and the weight difference between 18” and 20” seems trivial to me.
I have a fluted heavy profile 20” barrel that seems handy enough.
There are a couple of ranges in my area that have 600 yard firing lines so I favor longer barrels.
For your stated purposes what you have does not sound bad.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a rainier ultra match stainless in 223 wylde and love it.
it's on a 10.5" SBR,

if you are worried about that "stainless" hanging out in front of a handguard, for a nominal fee, Rainier will cerakote it for you..
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top