Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 5:45:20 PM EDT
Lurker and member now looking for advice. Drilled muzzle brake pin on 14.5 barrel. Went just too far. Punched the pin and it pushed through  inside barrel. Luckily, it was only a shaving sticking out inside and a bore brush cleaned it, wasn't the pin sticking out. So there is a hole inside the barrel and pin is at or near flush, but is not poking out at all. Should i have any concern? There's  a gas port so I'm thinking no..thoughts? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea what the right answer is but I can't wait to hear it. I would think the hole is much larger than a gas hole and much closer to the muzzle and therefore it will affect the bullet exiting the barrel. My guess is you need to take it to a good gunsmith and have the barrel cut down and the muzzle device installed, but that's just a SWAG.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
No problem, shoot it.

It will not explode and in all likelihood no negative effect will be seen in accuracy. The hole will eventually fill with jacket material and powder residue.

Feel better?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No problem, shoot it.

It will not explode and in all likelihood no negative effect will be seen in accuracy. The hole will eventually fill with jacket material and powder residue.

Feel better?
View Quote
I was thinking the same, but not sure if it's the correct answer.  I don't see why it would matter as long as nothing is protruding into the barrel.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. Wanted to make sure. My actual first build from bones up. My buddy got a mill and dimpled the barrel great, but he wanted to take it a little too far on the muzzle and my ocd too is butt hurt besides the possible function/accuracy issue. Its a chf spikes barrel midlength. I get my kmr rail in few days and my build is complete and will post pics.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
If you notice bad accuracy or key holing then you've got problems.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. Wanted to make sure. My actual first build from bones up. My buddy got a mill and dimpled the barrel great, but he wanted to take it a little too far on the muzzle and my ocd too is butt hurt besides the possible function/accuracy issue. Its a chf spikes barrel midlength. I get my kmr rail in few days and my build is complete and will post pics.
View Quote

Shoot the fuck out of it, by the time you have determined that the gun is functionally reliable the little ol' hole will be full if it is shaving, and if it isn't it ain't going to matter.

That said I'm not sure I'd have a guy who can't accurately control milling depth doing any dimpling for me
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Post pics of your groups.  If it is a 1/2 MOA barrel, we will all start drilling holes in them.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Post pics of your groups.  If it is a 1/2 MOA barrel, we will all start drilling holes in them.

View Quote
Yes!  I will get the drill ready!

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top