Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2015 3:13:57 PM EDT
Hi guys I am looking into building an ar for coyote hunting. I have a budget of about 800 dollars. This will be my first ar so I don't need anything too fancy just something to get me started. I already have a Nikon 3-9x40 and a light that mounts on the quad rail. Ive been looking at this site http://core15rifles.com/core15-biy-rifle-kit.html . Do you guys think this will be an alright kit to start out? If so what options/ upgrades should I get with it. If not, what do you recommend? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
get a 20 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That's not bad for a basic rifle.

Edit: Sorry, I thought $529.99 was the price for the entire rifle. I suggest getting most of the parts from PSA and build it. You can get that same style complete lower for $130. They also have a good deal on a nickle boron BCG (HPT MPI Carpinter 158 Steel) for $120. You can also get the stripped upper from PSA for $40.

For $600-$700, I'm sure your rifle will look and perform better then that CORE15.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are not in a rush, you can look for sales and build a nice gun for that.  

You can get an Anderson Lower for $49 is at Primary Arms and they are fine.  You can get Spikes Tactical lowers now for less that $100. Your biggest expenses will be in the upper.  BCG is about $100-$200 depending on finish. Barrel is where to not skimp.  I bought an ARFCom barrel for my wife's gun.  Have not shot it yet, but it is GTG.

Try to do a matched set or uppers and lower receivers from the same company so the finish matches.  But if they are built to spec, they are interchangeable function wise.

Then decide if you want to free float the barrel/handguard. Better for accuracy for hunting.  Also you might consider 18 to 20 inch barrels for hunting accuracy.  But 16 is fine also.

So many options.  But you can buy a full rifle as well for that money!  It is addictive.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#4]
So what distance are you expecting to shoot? The 16" kit you were looking at would be fine for shorter distances if your calling them in, but you can do better on price.
I would not get a chrome lined barrel for accuracy reasons. Nitride/melonite would be a better option.  

If you are set on a 223, I would recommend at least a 20" barrel to increase velocity for longer distances. It just depends on how you plan to hunt.
barrel length effect on velocity
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#5]
my budget build turning into a nightmare build after sandy hook. getting parts to finish it was very costly and i got hooked by the RRO BCG swindle...

i wouldnt buy a toothpick from core15. not becuase of the quility of product but because of business practices. i wont get into detail but they where selling something in the forums and when i attempted to buy they raised the price. lol!

not sure why you would need a 20" HBAR with a 9x scope. how far are you looking to shoot this thing? why not just go .308 with that much weight? i would push you towards a 16" barrel but what do i know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hi guys I am looking into building an ar for coyote hunting. I have a budget of about 800 dollars. This will be my first ar so I don't need anything too fancy just something to get me started. I already have a Nikon 3-9x40 and a light that mounts on the quad rail. Ive been looking at this site http://core15rifles.com/core15-biy-rifle-kit.html . Do you guys think this will be an alright kit to start out? If so what options/ upgrades should I get with it. If not, what do you recommend? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
View Quote

Buy this barrel, 18".223 Wylde CHF 410 Stainless FN made, this stripped upper, Stripped A4 Upper , low profile gas block, Low Profile Gas Block .750", gas tube, Rifle length Gas Tube , a complete bolt carrier group, Complete BCG Full Auto Profile, Charging Handle Charge Handle ,Upper build kit, Upper Build Kit, ad a nice free float rail that won't break the bank and feels awesome in the hand such as, M.I. Gen 2 SS 12" Rail. After you get the upper put together you could either buy a complete lower, Complete Lower, or you could buy a stripped lower, Stripped AR Lower, and a lower build kit, Lower Build Kit. You will also need some kind of scope mount, such as, PA Extended Scope Mount.

So, if you did this build and bought the complete lower I listed, it would cost you $743.85 plus some shipping fees and maybe a transfer fee for the lower.

If you bought the stripped lower I listed and assembled it yourself, it would cost you $736.76 with all the parts I listed, and again there would be some shipping fees and probably a transfer fee for the lower added on to my figures. Either way, you should be right at $800 with a rifle ready to go with your scope mounted and an AWESOME barrel.

The barrel is what makes or breaks an accuracy build, and that CHF stainless .223 Wylde chambered FN barrel is one accurate MOFO. I have two of them and one in 6.8 SPC as well and they are fantastic!

You wouldn't have to use the exact parts I listed (I highly recommend staying with the barrel), I just used know good quality parts. You could certainly play around with different parts here and there and see what you come up with. One thing I did not include in the pricing is a muzzle brake/flash hider. They will range from $8 to $110, but you could just run a regular A2 flash hider for about $8.

Anyway, I hope that helps you a little.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:54:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Check the EE here. Sometimes you can find ban era 20in upper Hbar for decent prices. That was my first build. I got it done for around 600. Unless you plan on some long hikes to get to the dogs, a heavy barrel isn't that bad. Unless it's a non fluted target barrel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top