Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2015 8:37:56 PM EDT
So I want to ball mill a barrel I have to take a slight bit of weight off/Make it more aesthetically pleasing to my girlfriend. The barrel is a Palmetto state heavy machinegun steel from the fn factory.  I just wanted to make sure I won't mess anything up too terribly since I have been reading around a bit about it.

Will I mess the barrel harmonics up or anything related in any significant way?  

What Type of bit is recommended?

What size to make it uniform around an hbar barrel?

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just buy her a sexy LW fluted barrel?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#2]
This is ARFCOM. Someone will be along to demand pics of the girlfriend's dimples.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Hah! well she's been going to the gym, so she could carry the heavier barrel now.. And she has all sorts of dimples. I mean...

I was actually looking at a nice stainless fluted barrel. But I just put together a 9mm pistol, and another 5.56 on the new Spikes billet set....$$$$ Sooo being the crafty person I am I might as well try to ruin a perfectly good barrel first.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually Debated this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCH-ULTRALIGHT-5-56-Stainless-Recon-Fluted-Barrel-16-1-8-Mid-Gas-223-556-/261707580314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ceefcc39a

But I'll probably attempt to dimple a barrel either way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:20:22 AM EDT
[#5]
i've had two noveske barrels fully dimpled, there is a weight savings, but nothing major.  going to cost you around $200 to have it done right, adco's looks like crap
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I'd suggest that if you attempt this is to practice on a round bar first, as you will quickly find out that you will likely fubar it, not as easy as it sounds to make it come out appealing..
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#7]
dremmel away it'll look great!

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I'd suggest that if you attempt this is to practice on a round bar first, as you will quickly find out that you will likely fubar it, not as easy as it sounds to make it come out appealing..
View Quote

That's not a terrible idea... I think I have some aluminum bar stock so I don't chew up the bit too much.

I saw adcos and I don't like it either, but does anyone that's had theirs done mind throwing a mic or a tape measure next to the dimples? So I can get an idea what size they are using?

Probably give this a shot...

https://m.mscdirect.com/mobileweb/product_detail?id=87441010&src=pla&cid=PLA-Google-PLA+-+Test&CS_003=7867724&CS_010=87441010
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Why not call Marvin?

nefarious arms.  I'm not sure he has a website, but he does have a facebook page.  If I as going to do it, he'd be the one to use.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I would suggest finding a local funsmith do the job...as you at minimum need a vertical milling machine with a rotary table w/ dividing plates
and tail stock fixture/attachment and a carbide ball end mill to do the job correctly...So it would be cheaper to have a professional do
the job and not risk a lot of time, money, and a ruined barrel and needing to buy the equipment you will need to do the job correctly.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I still say buy another decent quality fluted barrel for your girl from someone like Faxon. Why even take a chance fubaring a FN barrel and having to buy her a barrel anyway, then having to buy a barrel to replace the FN one?? I doubt she is going to War anytime soon.

He'll I would trade you for the 20"

Sounds like an Obama Economics policy! We wanna see her shoot anyway! J/K......

PasoGunner
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I still say buy another decent quality fluted barrel for your girl from someone like Faxon. Why even take a chance fubaring a FN barrel and having to buy her a barrel anyway, then having to buy a barrel to replace the FN one?? I doubt she is going to War anytime soon.

He'll I would trade you for the 20"

Sounds like an Obama Economics policy! We wanna see her shoot anyway! J/K......

PasoGunner
View Quote

Oh, come on wasn't the state of the union address enough!? I was hoping to not see that name in Here!

Its not an FN marked barrel, but still I get where you're coming from. I think its more of a want to try it out things and I am planning on more tooling for my garage anyway. I did check out the Faxon barrels though and they are quite nice... Its good she's into it, so ill have to let her choose.

Maybe when it warms up a bit Ill snap a few shots for everyone
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
My thoughts are that if I can do it I rather buy the tool and do it myself so I'll end up with another tool.  The fluting is not that hard and you won't need any fancy indexer unless you want to do a helix.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#14]
You'll need a carbide ball end mill cutter, as well as a milling machine or specially configured drill press with a 2-axis table with length of travel greater than barrel length, and a rotary azis to turn the barrel at precise angles to keep a uniform spacing between the grooves/dimples. You'll also need precise control over the Z axis to avoid cutting to deep and kabooming yourself with your first shot. If you don't have this equipment, or know what it is, the odds are pretty much 100% you're going to end up with a hideous clusterfuck that probably won't be safe to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#15]
ADCO does barrel dimpling. Pretty pricy though. Does look nice.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#16]
You'll need a carbide ball end mill cutter, as well as a milling machine or specially configured drill press with a 2-axis table with length of travel greater than barrel length, and a rotary azis to turn the barrel at precise angles to keep a uniform spacing between the grooves/dimples. You'll also need precise control over the Z axis to avoid cutting to deep and kabooming yourself with your first shot. If you don't have this equipment, or know what it is, the odds are pretty much 100% you're going to end up with a hideous clusterfuck that probably won't be safe to shoot.
View Quote

More colorful than the verbiage I'd have used, but basically, yeah.  It would be ill advised to attempt this without a vertical mill and a rotary indexer.  Drill presses do not have the table or spindle rigidity to keep a ball end mill on target drilling into a round surface, and unless you are extremely careful, trying to space the holes properly without an indexer will be incredibly difficult.  Also remember, when making a sub-hemispherical concave cut into a convex surface, a couple thousandths of depth will make a big difference in crater/dimple diameter.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

More colorful than the verbiage I'd have used, but basically, yeah.  It would be ill advised to attempt this without a vertical mill and a rotary indexer.  Drill presses do not have the table or spindle rigidity to keep a ball end mill on target drilling into a round surface, and unless you are extremely careful, trying to space the holes properly without an indexer will be incredibly difficult.  Also remember, when making a sub-hemispherical concave cut into a convex surface, a couple thousandths of depth will make a big difference in crater/dimple diameter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I do know, and I have been looking at drill/mills but I don't think I am going to get out of that what I am looking for. I think a lathe will suit me better (i'm very novice with machining skills but I need to learn) but one with a vertical is a little out of my price range unless I can find something good used. Which isn't a big market in my area.

Ill open myself up to criticism with how I planned on doing this. LIke I said, I wasn't too worried about mucking up the barrel. More of an experiment than anything else.

I was going to Mark out the barrel, get the pattern right and center punch all the locations to be dimpled. I was planning on using a traditional drill press with a set depth and lock the barrel down for each dimple. Time consuming and probably not going to be perfect. It is an hbar so the barrel is uniform for its length before the gas block. That will be under the hand guard, So you wont see it if its that bad. I think I am going to pick up a faxon flame fluted barrel for her anyway though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Mange16v

I think you will be happy with Faxon. You can get alot of info in their Industry Forum. EDIT: I realize there is no Faxon Industry Forum!  Do a search. The guy from Faxon has a big presence in those searchable threads! (My bad!)

I will probably use Faxon for a .308 build.

I'm sure you know I was kidding about the King O comments. I do apoligize for speaking his name. I realize we would rather invoke Beetlejuice then speak of "you know who"

PS, we are looking forward to "warm weather" more now........LOL!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

That price is much more reasonable than I expected and I like the huge dimples.  

I must resist!!!111111
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I hear you! haha. I haven't heard of Faxon before so thank you for that! I actually just bought a DEZ arms barrel (I have a bunch of different; Rainier stainless, aero precision, WOA, Palmetto fn).

The Rainier is my .308 barrel and it is by far my most accurate barrel.

If I had known about the Faxon barrel before I bought the DEZ I probably would have went that route. The DEZ is a 1/9 and I wasn't too happy about that but I'm not going to be shooting heavier than 62 grain out of it for the most part anyway.

He invokes beetlejuice all on his own. lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_qnew.cfm?code=Barrel%20Dimples

I must resist!!!111111
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_qnew.cfm?code=Barrel%20Dimples

I must resist!!!111111

Eh for that price, I would rather have another whole barrel. I mean $240, then you have to ship the barrel there and pay for return shipping. SO being lenient id say you'll be at least $270 in the hole....
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I understand it's primarily to lighten the barrel but all I can keep thinking is dirt trap, especially under the handguard.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Actually Debated this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCH-ULTRALIGHT-5-56-Stainless-Recon-Fluted-Barrel-16-1-8-Mid-Gas-223-556-/261707580314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ceefcc39a

But I'll probably attempt to dimple a barrel either way.
View Quote

I would never buy a barrel off eBay....why risk it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Dimpling wont save a significant amount of weight
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Deleted by poster.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Again, mostly for aesthetics. We just got a cerakote kit too, setting up the oven and blasting station today hopefully.

As for the Ebay barrel, I know I was thinking the same thing. I'm weary about bolts and barrels. I generally stick with the stuff that's known to work on that. I'm hoping DEZ arms barrel is as good as the reviews I have seen. Seems like a good barrel... Should be here tomorrow, so ill throw a picture or two up of the finished product up in here.

Also got the VG6 Epsilon for that gun. Lots of good reviews, but again we will see.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#27]
This thread.
What can go wrong?

DEZ arms has made some pretty dubious claims. (online and in person)
Personally, I wouldn't give them my business.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This thread.
What can go wrong?

DEZ arms has made some pretty dubious claims. (online and in person)
Personally, I wouldn't give them my business.
View Quote

Life. In the grand scheme of things, with the money we all dump on guns and ammo nowadays trying to dimple a barrel won't hurt my butt too much. And its not like I'm bastardizing a WW2  matching Garand or the likes.

Guess I'd like to hear what you have had for experience, because all I've seen is good. But again, it's all relative. Just like people not liking their FNX pistols because the stippling is too aggressive and hurts their hand.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top