Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:50:00 PM EDT
Hello there,

I am going away from the AR pistols with all the current questions about the brace.....this isn't about that, but it is related.

Anyone know of a Flash Can style muzzle device that is long enough to pin/weld onto a 10.5" barrel to make it 16". I have done countless searches and basically come up with nothing. In a perfect world, I just want a KAK flash can that is about 6.5" long. I have even emaiedl KAK Industries and they said the machinists have too much on their plate right now to take on new things, and I can understand that.

I know what most of you will say, is sell the barrel and buy a 16" and have more velocity making inches of barrel.....well, this one is 9mm (would need 5/8"  24 threads) and 10.5" of 9mm barrel is just fine with me, and the aluminum longer flash can would still be pretty light.

I have a lathe and can probably make something very similar, I just don't have a way to get a nice finish on it, or the tools or know how to have that nice cone shape on the interior.

Anyone aware of something on this order? Would also buy one for the dedicated 10.5" .22.......as, there again.....the actual barrel length won't mean much for velocity....to me, anyway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Look up Kinetic-Tech, they make all sorts of devices.  

Possibility

eta: after looking closer, likely they won't have it, but give them a call they are pretty friendly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Something you need to consider before you get too far into locating an aluminum part. I don't know the law regarding pinning and welding, as in what's acceptable for pin material. I know most use a stainless steel or steel pin, whatever the muzzle device is made of. A small aluminum pin, which is what you would have to use with an aluminum muzzle device, wouldn't provide much resistance if you were to try to turn the device off with a wrench. I'm not sure it would be acceptable in the eyes of the atf. Maybe you should write them a letter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I am pretty sure the aluminum with a blind pin that is welded over is legit. I have owned a few HK clones back in the day that has aluminum fake cans/barrel extensions that were done the same way.

That may have changed, this was abut 10-15 years ago.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Just keep a pistol lower until your stamps come back!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just keep a pistol lower until your stamps come back!
View Quote

I already have 2 registered SBRs, that isn't the point.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The more i think about it, I may just keep 1 AR pistol with just a plain pistol buffer tube on it....no brace, etc...

Still legal in the ATF's eyes to use a plain pistol buffer tube for a cheek rest, isn't it?

No, I won't send a letter
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I was just kidding. I keep a pistol lower for the heck of it also.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Got ya.....everyone should at least one pistol lower laying around. Just bought a couple plain/simple buffer tubes off the EE. I will be set.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Depending on your state laws the pistol has some significant advantages. In MO it can be used in the Alternate Methods and regular season, an SBR is limited to rifle only. Transportation and carry, the SBR has to have advance notice approved to transport across a state line, and in many states the SBR has to be unloaded and cased in the trunk. The pistol falls under CCW provisions same as a 9mm Glock for self defense purposes.

Ignore the political agenda the Administration is playing, they announced their change just the same as any other political stunt, on Friday afternoon with no one to answer for it over the weekend, just before the biggest firearms wholesale convention in America, SHOT 2015. And that is exactly the point, to dampen sales of all the new braces and guns using them just as the buyers and sellers get together.

Major anti gun political stunt. Entirely to be expected of this administration. Duh.

As for the long flash can some have offered them over the years, to simulate the look of the older XM177 with a slip over flash hider that fit the 16' barrel but looked like it was a shorter one. Search engines are your friend:http://jtdistributing.net/store/product485.html

The functional affect will be to have the looks and ballistics of a short barrel with the disadvantages of one well over 26".
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:29:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Depending on your state laws the pistol has some significant advantages. In MO it can be used in the Alternate Methods and regular season, an SBR is limited to rifle only. Transportation and carry, the SBR has to have advance notice approved to transport across a state line, and in many states the SBR has to be unloaded and cased in the trunk. The pistol falls under CCW provisions same as a 9mm Glock for self defense purposes.

Ignore the political agenda the Administration is playing, they announced their change just the same as any other political stunt, on Friday afternoon with no one to answer for it over the weekend, just before the biggest firearms wholesale convention in America, SHOT 2015. And that is exactly the point, to dampen sales of all the new braces and guns using them just as the buyers and sellers get together.

Major anti gun political stunt. Entirely to be expected of this administration. Duh.

As for the long flash can some have offered them over the years, to simulate the look of the older XM177 with a slip over flash hider that fit the 16' barrel but looked like it was a shorter one. Search engines are your friend:http://jtdistributing.net/store/product485.html

The functional affect with will to have the looks and ballistics of a short barrel with the disadvantages of one well over 26".
View Quote

This is 5.5" and would ne too short to attach to a 10.5" barrel. I have used those on guns since the 80's so I am very good with searching.....just try to find something that is 6.5" long.....that, is the challenge.
Not being an a$$.......just not what I am looking for.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:40:01 AM EDT
[#11]
No problem, just pointing out that a 10.5" barrel with a long flash hider doesn't have the ballistics of a 16". It's a downgrade and the barrel has the length to improve things. A 14.5 pinned would offer superior ballistics. if the overall barrel length is going to be right at 16" then the point of a short barrel with long flash hider becomes moot - the longer barrel would likely have less overall flash.

The XM177 used a moderator the ATF classed as a suppressor, so there's no advantage in the long ones available now that wont' do the same thing.

Maybe I'm missing the point, perhaps an explanation of what is being done would help. I sense the idea is to make the pistol a 16" overall barrel for NFA legal purposes - but if there is no stock or brace, a 10.5" is anyway.
The noise making over the brace has very little to do with pistols per se, nothing changed there and it's entirely unlikely the current ATF letter will stand.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No problem, just pointing out that a 10.5" barrel with a long flash hider doesn't have the ballistics of a 16". It's a downgrade and the barrel has the length to improve things. A 14.5 pinned would offer superior ballistics. if the overall barrel length is going to be right at 16" then the point of a short barrel with long flash hider becomes moot - the longer barrel would likely have less overall flash.

The XM177 used a moderator the ATF classed as a suppressor, so there's no advantage in the long ones available now that wont' do the same thing.

Maybe I'm missing the point, perhaps an explanation of what is being done would help. I sense the idea is to make the pistol a 16" overall barrel for NFA legal purposes - but if there is no stock or brace, a 10.5" is anyway.
The noise making over the brace has very little to do with pistols per se, nothing changed there and it's entirely unlikely the current ATF letter will stand.
View Quote

I understand, I also noted that it didn't matter to me about the velocity loos, since I am doing this with a 9mm and a .22LR (see original post above).

I was going to add the fake can to get the 16" length, then turn my pistols into rifles with a stock. Later, in the post a few down from that, I am thinking about just keeping them as pistols wth the 10.5" barrels and simple buffer tubes with no brace.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Isn't the ares breath from Ares Armor designed just for the question you're asking?

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/Muzzle_Ares_Breath
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#14]
A long time ago a friend gave me an 11.5" barrel in rimless 256 Winchester Magnum and I really wanted to build on it but didn't wan't to spend the $200 to SBR. I got in touch with a fellow on ARFCOM that made copies of the Colt 609 and XM177 flash hiders and asked if he could make me one that was 5" long and could he pin and weld to my barrel. It worked out ok but for the life of me (I'm really old) I can't remember his name but he shoulld not be hard to find. By the way, it really directs the flash and bang straight away from you.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Isn't the ares breath from Ares Armor designed just for the question you're asking?

View Quote

I did find that one. I am afraid that is a complaint away from a baffle stack, and also looks very heavy.

I know, I can't have my cake and eat it too.

It does look interesting though!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wonder... what's to keep a person from simply wrapping that in sheet tin & securing it with a number of hose clamps to create an impromptu sound suppressor?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#17]
http://sdtacticalarms-com.3dcartstores.com/SOLVENT-TRAP-TUBES_p_47.html

All the parts you need to build one pretty much any length you want.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, I hadn't seen those.

To build a legal carbine barrel length (on my 10.5" barrel), I would have to weld the rear threaded cap to the tube, weld the threaded cap to the special muzzle attachment, and then weld that to my barrel.

I do appreciate the help, but I would be way to paranoid, as it is too close to an actual sound suppressor.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top