Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:43:33 PM EDT
Hey Ya'll,

I'm seeking your expertise because I'm a total noob and just finished putting together my first build. My completed upper came in the mail today from Primary Arms. It's a DS Arms 16" Complete Upper Half 5.56/.223 Mid length Gas System that I bought on sale with a BCM and Charging Handle for $329.00. After unpacking the upper I noticed that the handguard and barrel aren't sitting quite center. How do I fix this?

[/URL]" />
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the upper rail on the free float in line with the rail on the upper? To me it looks as though the rail is just rotated out of alignment. The barrel looks centered.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It's hard for me to tell exactly because the handguard is so long and covers the majority of the barrel. I can't eyeball it for certain on whether the barrel is crooked or if the handguard is crooked.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey Ya'll,

I'm seeking your expertise because I'm a total noob and just finished putting together my first build. My completed upper came in the mail today from Primary Arms. It's a DS Arms 16" Complete Upper Half 5.56/.223 Mid length Gas System that I bought on sale with a BCM and Charging Handle for $329.00. After unpacking the upper I noticed that the handguard and barrel aren't sitting quite center. How do I fix this?

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure how that particular rail attaches but the first thing I'd do is loosen it, see if I could get it to sit straight with the barrel, then tighten the attachment screws/whatever being careful to do it evenly all the way around. Hope that makes sense, but don't know quite how to say what I mean. If that doesn't get it aligned, take the rail and barrel off, use a honing tool to square the front of the upper receiver, and reassemble.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#5]
The barrel could be bent (unlikely).
The gage for checking barrel straightness is not readily available, but most people can look down the bore and eyeball it since it looks off in the photo.
Run a long cleaning rod down the barrel.
If the tip of the rod is centered in the rear of the upper the barrel is likely straight in the upper.
If the barrel is bent the cleaning rod trick may not work.
Once you determine which one is the problem contact the seller and see what your options are before you start messing with it yourself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:59:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the same problem with a few rifles.  It's most notable on my 18" upper with an 15.5" rail.  I just got an upper lapping tool in the mail today. I hope that's all it takes to get them straight.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the same problem with a few rifles.  It's most notable on my 18" upper with an 15.5" rail.  I just got an upper lapping tool in the mail today. I hope that's all it takes to get them straight.
View Quote

Lapping helped on 1 of my uppers that I had a 15" rail on.  I have another that was off more than I liked.  I swapped the rail with another brand and it was OK.  I think the fit between the barrel nut and guard is what can cause alignment issues.  I have rails from Odin, Fortis, Samson, SWS, and MI and only have problems with one of them no matter what upper it's on.  Some stoning on the barrel nut helped, I was able to get it in acceptable alignment.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally got my upper together yesterday and lapping the upper receiver brought the barrel and handguard into alignment.  When I put the tool into the upper I noticed right away that it made contact with one side but not the other.  I didn't measure the gap but it was there.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top