Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:29:38 PM EDT
Newbie to all this. I'm looking to build my first AR10 .308 on the cheap. So my question is what do u all think of the PSA pa10  16" mid SS .308 rifle kit w/bcg and if I had a raw 80% lower milled out to .308 would this fit to complete  this build?                                

PSA PA10 16" Mid SS .308 Rifle Kit w/ NiB BCG

Email to a Friend

Be the first to review this product

Regular Price:  $679.99  

Special Price  $619.99  

Availability: In stock

Qty:  Add to Cart .
OR  Add to Compare

Quick Overview

Barrel: 416 Stainless Steel
Barrel Length: 16"
Chamber: 308 Winchester
Twist Rate: 1 in 10"
.750" Gas block Diameter
Mid length Gas system
Forged upper receiver
T-marks
Forward Assist
Ejection Port Cover
A2-style Flash Hider
Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Group
Charging handle
PA10 Classic Lower build kit

Click on image to zoom

More Views

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#1]
You will need a 308 lower. You can get 308 lowers in 80% (DPMS style). But you can't "mill out" an AR-15 lower to fit a 308.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks but i have a .308 80% lower, just not milled out yet.. was wondering once the lower is milled it will fit,  correct? Any special do's or don'ts for the milling process?  Also is there anybody or any  info on a step by step ar10 milling/ build?  is  this PSA AR10 kit a Decent choice for a complete .308 upper and parts kit for the money,  if not does anyone have any advice on a  complete .308 upper of comparable in price? And lastly , again, once the lower is milled out will it fit the PSA AR10 kit fit Correctly?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#3]
once the lower is milled out will it fit the PSA AR10 kit fit Correctly?
View Quote

As long as it's a DPMS pattern lower, yes.

Any special do's or don'ts for the milling process?
View Quote

Lots.  It would be helpful if we knew your experience level with metalworking/machining.  If none at all, well, it's a steep learning curve, and you'd do well to find someone local who can help you through it.  Screwing up a $45 raw finish AR-15 lower is one thing, but butchering a $150+ .308 AR lower is another story.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks but i have a .308 80% lower, just not milled out yet.. was wondering once the lower is milled it will fit,  correct? Any special do's or don'ts for the milling process?  Also is there anybody or any  info on a step by step ar10 milling/ build?  is  this PSA AR10 kit a Decent choice for a complete .308 upper and parts kit for the money,  if not does anyone have any advice on a  complete .308 upper of comparable in price? And lastly , again, once the lower is milled out will it fit the PSA AR10 kit fit Correctly?
View Quote

Didn't mean any offense on the AR10 vs AR15 lower; misinterpreted - my bad.

Anyway, you CANNOT go wrong with PSA parts. So don't worry about that; I can't counsel you on the value of it but can tell you that PSA makes some good shit. So, even if there was something comparable in price, I would still go with PSA (that's a personal opinion).

So a question for you: Are the PSA uppers designed to fit "DPMS style" lowers? The reason I ask is because I have only ever seen "DPMS style" lowers in 80%. It will be interesting to see if companies start to make the Gen II style though. If someone does, it's worth the wait IMO.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The PSA AR10  has been having growing pains. The PSA parts have had some issues with fit with non PSA  parts. Go to AR10 Variety forum and read up. How will u be doing your milling? CNC  jit and drill press or a mill.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your opinion on this and no offence taken. I will not be doing any of the milling , I have no experience with such equipment. I've already spoken to someone about having mill work done on several 15's  and one 10. He's a little nervous with any legal prob's; afterword but he has experience with this type of work and has several millers, presses, lathes ect;. U mentioned a "DPMS" STYLE LOWER, a little confused!!! What exactly do u mean? I purchased these lowers from Ares Amour.  Thanks for all your help so far.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I've already spoken to someone about having mill work done on several 15's and one 10. He's a little nervous with any legal prob's; afterword
View Quote

As he should be.  Completing lowers for you without an FFL07 or 10 could get him prison time and tens of thousands in fines.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#8]
"Anyway, you CANNOT go wrong with PSA parts. So don't worry about that; I can't counsel you on the value of it but can tell you that PSA makes some good shit. So, even if there was something comparable in price, I would still go with PSA (that's a personal opinion)."

I agree PSA has some really great stuff, as long as you stay away from Ptac. Been reading very bad reviews on that line. Not sure how it is since, PSA took it over. I personally have ben trying out some of Aero Precisions stuff and really liking their Cerekote products. They also just came out with a nickel boron .308 BCG. I would consider giving them a try also, as I have done a few builds with their 308 and 5.56. Love them both.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top