Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2014 2:35:25 PM EDT
I have googled this ad nauseum, but haven't found a thing.

There are certainly AR lowers for sale that take AK magazines; they are kind of pricey at about $350.

Looking at one of my AR lowers and an AK stamped flat, it sure looks doable to cut up the magwell on the AR, and TIG in a portion of the AK flat to accept the AK mags.

Anyone here done that or know someone who did?

Thanks!

P.S. For the amount of time I will spend building this I agree it's cheaper to purchase a lower already designed for this. My interest is building it for the fun of it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they make mags for the AR that hold 7.62x39mm but not a 1,000% sure
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The RRA LAR-8 comes in 7.62.

Edited to add archive find. http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=496541
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Machine an existing AR lower to take AK magazines? Nope.

Buy a new AR lower that is designed to take AK magazines? Yes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Can steel be welded to alum?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can steel be welded to alum?
View Quote

Yep. Think it would be expensive to do though. Friction Stir Welding. I know it's not exactly new technology, but it was a big deal in the early 2000's b/c an aviation company was using it on one of their private jet designs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, they are readily available.

Check out the "variants" tab for more 7.62x39 AR info.

BTW...building one myself right now, just waiting for the stripped upper to arrive.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]
This bad ass one takes AK mags :)

CMMG MK47 Mutant!

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do.

But the point of this is be able to use existing AK magazines.  There are several reasons someone would want to be able to do this. Such as
- having preban magazines in a state like NY
- AK mags are known to be reliable and in the past many 7.62x39 AR magazines were not reliable  
- some people have plenty of AK magazines and don't want to spend money to buy something else

Finally some people enjoy home gunsmithing projects.  This one could be fun.  Personally I wish someone would sell an 80% lower with the magazine well not milled out. It would make projects like this one far easier.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They do.

But the point of this is be able to use existing AK magazines.  There are several reasons someone would want to be able to do this. Such as
- AK mags are known to be reliable and in the past many 7.62x39 AR magazines were not reliable  
- some people have plenty of AK magazines and don't want to spend money to buy something else

Finally some people enjoy home gunsmithing projects.  This one could be fun.  Personally I wish someone would sell an 80% lower with the magazine well not milled out. It would make projects like this one far easier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do.

Not positive but I believe they are  called 0%ers Cant remember who it was but they were selling them a short while back.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Of course I haven't gotten to it yet but it's on the tall stack of s*** to do. I can't decide if it would be easier to start with a 0% er or a 80% pistol lower either way I'm sure somebody will chime in and say all the people that said its impossible are wrong.  With the right amount of ingenuity anything is possible.  In this case I'm pretty sure isn't that hard.  Admittedly though it sure is a lot easier to copy what somebody else figured out then it is to figure it out yourself and it's a whole lot easier to say no it can't be done.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Something more like the RRA LAR-47   I Typically prefer CMMG to RRA, but I think I like the RRA better than the CMMG Mutant
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Might be able to take a jack squat AR flat and combine with an AK flat.  Also looking at the above Mutant looks like you could start with an 80% single shot lower from Tactical Machining.  Sounds like fun, just be sure to post pics when you start.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top