Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2014 1:38:49 AM EDT
After assembling a half dozen lowers I'm still facing a struggle every time I install the bolt stop roll pin. It seems as if no matter how I approach this simple task I still seem to mash the first roll pin I try even when I use a roll pin starter and have the lower in a vice. Does anyone have any suggestions for a best method? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:40:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Channel lock pliers?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I've assembled countless lowers, and not once have I had issues with a bolt catch roll pin. I use a roll pin starter and then switch over to a roll pin punch designed for this application. Only thing special about it is that it is cut so it can be closer to the receiver when tapping with a small hammer.

What is your go to LPK? What is your go to lower?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Coiled roll pins.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#4]
And lube.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:26:35 AM EDT
[#5]
these and lube are your best friend
After starting the pin with the punch above and a drop of oil, I finish with a brass roll pin punch. Badda bing, no issues.

ETA: are you using a "slave pin" to keep everything lined up while tapping the pin in?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And lube.
View Quote

This. Lube is your friend.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Channel lock pliers
View Quote

Yup.  I tried my first one with a punch, very quickly switched to my 10" Knipex Gators, been doing it that way ever since.  Really doesn't take that much pressure to squeeze them in.   A little tape on the off side so that you don't mar the finish with the pliers is a good idea, though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Taped up vice grips. It's even in the stickies here as the suggested way to do it.

Roll pin punches are great for an experienced assembler or mechanic, but they can be a disaster for the new guy who has no mechanical experience. Vice grips are the easy solution.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yup.  I tried my first one with a punch, very quickly switched to my 10" Knipex Gators, been doing it that way ever since.  Really doesn't take that much pressure to squeeze them in.   A little tape on the off side so that you don't mar the finish with the pliers is a good idea, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Channel lock pliers

Smooth jaws and taped....

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Coiled roll pins.

View Quote

That's what I use. Once you do it hundred times you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:21:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Vice grips with jaws wrapped with electrical tape. Use them to drive the pin in 99% then set it just below flush with a ball peen hammer and roll pin punch.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the vice grips, although once you have built a few either tool will work.  Just be patient and all will be ok...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I slightly pinch the start end. On real hard cases, I've sand a small bevel around the start end and a good lube helps.
Roll-pin punch to start, then regular punch once it is settled.

I tried the vice-grip before and it worked, but it was awkward and not as quick as using the proper tools.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
No need for vice grips. Plain ol pliers will do it easily.

a little tape on the jaws, open to large setting and pinch.
I pinch the end of the pin a little bit. Start with needle nose and brass hammer, finish with pliers. Roll pin punches are great too but I've built dozens as described with no issues. YMMV.

EDIT: I normally assemble them at my computer desk but sometimes I do it on the couch while watching tv.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I tried the vice-grip before and it worked, but it was awkward and not as quick as using the proper tools.
View Quote

Same here. Using the starter punches that actually hold the pin for you is so easy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer to use pliers with the jaws taped, as mentioned above. A set of needle-nose pliers can be used to hold the pin straight, so you can get it started in the hole. Same method works for the bolt assist pin, and trigger guard pin.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#18]
a dab of grease on the end of the starter punch will hold the pin on the punch
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:26:55 AM EDT
[#19]
No matter which method you use ( I prefer to just tap them in as opposed to the plier-squeeze method), make sure you put some tape on the side of your lower. Duct tape, 100 MPH tape, electrical tape, I don't care if you use scotch tape...but just put some tape down to protect your finish.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Pliers of any sort is just too WECSOG for me.  Lube, a roll pin starter and a roll pin punch works fine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Roll pin starter and long roll pin punch, barrel assembly grease on roll pin.
Milled punch to remove the pin.
Can’t say I have ever had a problem.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No matter which method you use ( I prefer to just tap them in as opposed to the plier-squeeze method), make sure you put some tape on the side of your lower. Duct tape, 100 MPH tape, electrical tape, I don't care if you use scotch tape...but just put some tape down to protect your finish.
View Quote

Just like this guy says, use the proper tools and methods you will be successful!
A roll pin starter punch, a standard punch (Brownell's sells one cut down on one side just for this situation, 080-261-012WB) , some lube and a small hammer.  It doesn't hurt to use a one size smaller punch for alignment and some tape to protect the surface from hammer dings.

Anyone that is using the plier-squeeze method has never been educated in proper assembly.  This just doesn't apply to building ARs.  I have been a maintenance mechanic for years and I have never seen anyone install a roll pin by squeezing it in with a pair of pliers of any kind.  Roll pins are designed to be tapped in to place with a hammer and should be installed that way!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Anyone that is using the plier-squeeze method has never been educated in proper assembly.  This just doesn't apply to building ARs.  I have been a maintenance mechanic for years and I have never seen anyone install a roll pin by squeezing it in with a pair of pliers of any kind.  Roll pins are designed to be tapped in to place with a hammer and should be installed that way!
View Quote

Well thank you for using your second post to discredit a method that has been linked in a thread on this site for almost 10 years. While I do have and use punches for many parts of assembly I (and many others ) find that instead of tapping it in a quick squeeze with a pair pliers gets the job done. I also finish it with a punch to counter sink it. This pin in particular lends itself quite well to this method, other pins not so much. YMMV means Your Method May Vary.
I was responding to the OP whom was asking for a better method than he was using so as to not destroy the roll pin.

We have a saying in the tinning industry, "Everything is a hammer" , again YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I remember when the vise grips/pliers method first came out and I still think that it's just as retarded now as it was then.

I'ts usually the trademark sign of a beginner, along with KNS pins, Harbor Freight Tools, Dremels, questions about grease and the ButtVICE.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:56:26 AM EDT
[#25]
It's a bolt catch roll pin, not freaking brain surgery.  I don't know why it would be looked at with so much disdain, because using pliers seems to work just fine.  Technically
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#26]
If I were going to use pliers I would use Knipex Pliers because the jaws stay parallel to each other through the movement range.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I remember when the vise grips/pliers method first came out and I still think that it's just as retarded now as it was then.

I'ts usually the trademark sign of a beginner,along with KNS pins, Harbor Freight Tools, Dremels, questions about grease and the ButtVICE.
View Quote

I have to disagree here. I've actually had the issue of my hammer/trigger pin holes going oblong on my 9mm rig after several thousand rds. I replaced the lower and installed KNS pins. They ABSOLUTELY did exactly what they're advertised to do. Many thousands of rds later, the holes are still as round as they were the day I bought it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have to disagree here. I've actually had the issue of my hammer/trigger pin holes going oblong on my 9mm rig after several thousand rds. I replaced the lower and installed KNS pins. They ABSOLUTELY did exactly what they're advertised to do. Many thousands of rds later, the holes are still as round as they were the day I bought it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'ts usually the trademark sign of a beginner, along with KNS pins, Harbor Freight Tools, Dremels, questions about grease and the ButtVICE.

Well, there is sure to be some legitimate uses of them. It's just that the KNS pins are used so often by noobs either because they think that they look cool or they are trying to put a band-aid fix on a pin walking problem that would be better addressed by finding and dealing with the source of the actual problem.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But so is everyone else (even those who don't agree with yours).

Have a nice day!
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#30]
couple things...

*KNS pins - i agree, they're a gimmick..  I've never had any of my pins walk but if I did, installing an add on to stop them from walking would not be the way I would take care of it.
*Lube on a lower - I like that he at least asked..
*Harbor freight - why pay 3X-5X more for a tool you'll use once a year? (if you're building 10 lowers a month, that's a different situation)
*Pliers/Vice Grips/Channel-Locs - I've seen many a "gunsmith" mar up a lower receiver with a brass hammer trying to put that pin in.  If you can do it quickly and without damaging the lower with a pair of pliers then you should do it with the pliers.

a "smith" using the traditional method to installing a pin who consequently damages a part of the rifle needs to find another "non traditional" way to install the pins.. (or stop calling himself a gunsmith).

I pay a gunsmith to make modifications to a firearm in a professional method.  
I can mar up the finish and damage the lower, myself in the garage...
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#31]
+1 for this

Quoted:
couple things...

*KNS pins - i agree, they're a gimmick..  I've never had any of my pins walk but if I did, installing an add on to stop them from walking would not be the way I would take care of it.
*Lube on a lower - I like that he at least asked..
*Harbor freight - why pay 3X-5X more for a tool you'll use once a year? (if you're building 10 lowers a month, that's a different situation)
*Pliers/Vice Grips/Channel-Locs - I've seen many a "gunsmith" mar up a lower receiver with a brass hammer trying to put that pin in.  If you can do it quickly and without damaging the lower with a pair of pliers then you should do it with the pliers.

a "smith" using the traditional method to installing a pin who consequently damages a part of the rifle needs to find another "non traditional" way to install the pins.. (or stop calling himself a gunsmith).

I pay a gunsmith to make modifications to a firearm in a professional method.  
I can mar up the finish and damage the lower, myself in the garage...
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Tape the side of the receiver with 3M Blue Painters tape, purchase the CORRECT punch from Brownells, use a quality coil pin, slightly bevel one end of the pin by rubbing it on sandpaper and lube the hole.

It ain't rocket science

KNS Pins...there is no doubt they are stronger than standard pins, just ask the 9mm AR shooters.

They are also CHEAP insurance, I run them on every AR.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#33]
When you guys are talking about the Brownells bolt catch roll pin punch It seems like you are using it to install the roll pin but it is clearly only designed to be used to remove the the roll pin.

You can use it to help hold everything together while installing the roll pin though.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I used a small C-clamp. It has rubber feet on the clamping surface.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When you guys are talking about the Brownells bolt catch roll pin punch It seems like you are using it to install the roll pin but it is clearly only designed to be used to remove the the roll pin.

You can use it to help hold everything together while installing the roll pin though.
View Quote

I hope they're not doing that!  I use pin starters from the rear and finish with a pin punch, and I use the Brownell's punch only to remove the pin from the front.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I hope they're not doing that!  I use pin starters from the rear and finish with a pin punch, and I use the Brownell's punch only to remove the pin from the front.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're correct, that's how it's done.

I sometimes wonder if people are reading the instructions or not.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Not trying to contradict any experts but I have never seen a manufacturer use a punch and hammer to install roll pins. They press them. I have been in equipment repair for over 40 years and have removed and installed hundreds of roll pins. Almost all with a punch and hammer because that is the method I have at hand but every parts maufacturer I have dealt with uses a jig and presses roll pins to install them. On my AR builds I press the bolt catch and trigger guard pins. Hope I don't get laughed off the range. Maybe using a punch OR pressing the pins will work? Has anyone checked with Colt to see what they do? (Yes, that last one was sarcasm)

Just saying
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#38]
There's a word of difference between using a press and fixture for manufacturing and using a pair of viseloks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
After assembling a half dozen lowers I'm still facing a struggle every time I install the bolt stop roll pin. It seems as if no matter how I approach this simple task I still seem to mash the first roll pin I try even when I use a roll pin starter and have the lower in a vice. Does anyone have any suggestions for a best method? Thanks.
View Quote

yeah, thread it and put a set screw in there. sweet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why can't is be used to install the pin?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:32:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The tip doesn't have a tit, plus you're much more likely to bend it due to the flat. Plus, you're better off driving the pin rear to front.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
ADCO
View Quote

Yeah?  That's the punch we've been discussing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Taped up vice grips. It's even in the stickies here as the suggested way to do it.

Roll pin punches are great for an experienced assembler or mechanic, but they can be a disaster for the new guy who has no mechanical experience. Vice grips are the easy solution.
View Quote

That's my go to. I even use that at work for roll pins.
Just take it easy and make sure it lines up.

ETA: If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:42:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If I were going to use pliers I would use Knipex Pliers because the jaws stay parallel to each other through the movement range.
View Quote

Came to post this exact thing though I haven't used them to do it yet.

Edited: It's funny, I youtubed 'installing bolt catch roll pin' and this was first video that popped up.Knipex
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The tip doesn't have a tit, plus you're much more likely to bend it due to the flat. Plus, you're better off driving the pin rear to front.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does have a tit.  Not trying to be argumentative but I have installed at least 20 with it.  No reason I can think of that installing from the back matters.  Always looking to learn, and curious what I am missing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#47]
guys.

I understand if you want to buy a $15 specialty punch in case you ever need it...  (i've got a TON of tools that I have only used a couple times in 30 years)..

but.

to install that pin, you dont need anything except a standard set of pliers with some blue tape on the jaws.

I built up a lower this weekend in 30 minutes (setting that pin took all of 30 seconds) and I didn't use a punch for anything except holding the trigger and hammer in place while i installed the pins for each.

it's quick and easy to use pliers.

REMOVING that pin is a completely different story as others have illustrated and described above.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It does have a tit.  Not trying to be argumentative but I have installed at least 20 with it.  No reason I can think of that installing from the back matters.  Always looking to learn, and curious what I am missing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just double checked mine, no tit. Mine's about six or seven years old, maybe they added the tit after that?  With a tit, drive on - I'd still be careful that you don't bend it.  From the back is how I learned thirty years ago, there was a reason given but I'll be damned if I can remember why.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Mine is probably older, so maybe it is the other way around.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:47:21 AM EDT
[#50]
it was mentioned earlier, but I use the linked brownells punch and a lyman brass tapper hammer to drive in the roll pin. I also wrap the bolt catch portion of the lower with electrical tape and put the roll pin in the freezer when I first start putting the parts kit together and do the bolt catch last. I dunno if it actually has enough time to get real cold and shrink a tiny bit, but I haven't made a scratch in any lower since I got that punch.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=26484
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top