Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2014 12:27:26 AM EDT
Building the my first AR. Finally got the drive to build a coyote/varmint rifle. Started off with a 40 dollar stripped Anderson lower receiver, and a 60 dollar new northwest custom precision upper with forward assist and dust cover installed. Have spent the last few weeks doing nothing but researching parts, and barrels and everything imagineable...twist rates, lengths, triggers...the normal stuff. While looking I joined some AR discussion groups and classified pages on facebook. Ended up scoring a 24 inch ER shaw barrel, with free float rail, gas tube, gas block and flash hider for 160 that's 6 weeks old...guy used it and decided it was too heavy but very accurate. Received the barrel and such last week and found a ALG QMS trigger with JP springs, a Hogue grip and Caldwell brass catcher online and picked all that up. Ordered a spikes LPK without fire control group, and DS arms stock kit (all enclusive) on primary arms last night. All I have left I believe is BCG and charging handle. How does it sound so far? Would like to find a BCG that came with a charging handle that is reliable but doesn't break the bank.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good, but long.

A 24" bbl has very little practical purpose.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#2]
really doesn't seem that long to me, perfect for hunting and "long range" shooting. Both of those seem pretty practical to me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Shoot it a while then get back to us on the perfect part. 18 is about perfect for hunting. 11.5 is about perfect otherwise
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Will do but I'm sure it's here to stay
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
How odes it sound so far?

Heavy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoot it a while then get back to us on the perfect part. 18 is about perfect for hunting. 11.5 is about perfect otherwise
View Quote

11.5 may be perfect for you, but not for everyone else. :)  A 16 or 18 is my favorite

To the OP:

18-20 about right for hunting in most cases.  The 24 might give you the ability to use some very slow burning powders that you couldnt use in a shorter barrel to get some really high velocities.  Besides, if you find the barrel is indeed too long, but shoots great, you can always get it cut down to the length you want.

For a BCG, alot of guys around here like the ones from Aim  Myself, I run an Aero, which Ive had great luck with thus far.  Charging handle is up to you.  They run from cheap to retardedly expensive.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
really doesn't seem that long to me, perfect for hunting and "long range" shooting. Both of those seem pretty practical to me.
View Quote

18"-20" works well for our elite military shooters.

With normal loads 16" is just about ideal.

My 12.5" will get me out to 500-600 yards.

I think you will get tired of that bbl in short order.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
You should have just ordered every thing from DS Arms

They have a charging handle and complete bolt carrier and bolt all for under $100 shipped to you
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top