Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2014 2:55:05 PM EDT
What receiver blocks do you guys use for holding the lower while tightening the castle nut on the extension?

A magazine type block?  Or nothing at all?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the the magazine type. Never any issues. I have the spikes block.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Pro mag lower vice block (fake magazine type)
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I use these in a vise.

Lower vise blocks are not suitable support for torquing things to spec or for removing things that were torqued to spec.

Lower vise blocks are for helping with the small easy jobs like installing triggers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as you're not trying to put a zillion pounds of torque on it, the magazine well blocks will work fine.  I carved a couple pieces of wood to cradle the rear end of my lowers for doing that, and wound up with something that worked...but it's a pain to get all of it together and into a vise.  Remember, the receiver extension (or castle nut) torque spec is around 40 ft/lb, so even with a short wrench you should be able to get that without putting too much beef into it.  Just make sure everything is lined up correctly and you should be able to get the right torque without any risk to the lower.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I bought the schuster one.  We will see how it is.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I wrap and clamp the extension and take the lower out of the equation. You can really crank on one that's tight as hell from factory this way too, without worry of destroying the lower.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wrap and clamp the extension and take the lower out of the equation. You can really crank on one that's tight as hell from factory this way too, without worry of destroying the lower.
View Quote

How do you do it for a rifle receiver extension?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#8]
[Deleted]

Never mind, misread the question.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never had to take a difficult one apart. Putting one on, clamped into vice by lower with an old thermold mag and just good and snug then dab of blue loctite on the screw. Never had one come loose and don't personally use many of them, only on a2 clones. Just haven't had a reason to buy a lower block. Upper blocks however are a different story and I would never recommend trying to do any real upper work without a good one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I clamp the square block on the bottom of the reciever extension between two pieces of UHMW in the vise jaws.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Lay lower flat on floor (carpeted). Let grip of lower act as a point to prevent lower from rolling on floor while you torque castle nut to spec. Have done many this way and works well. Really no need for a lower block or such.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]
You don't need one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I put soft jaws on the vise.  I then clamp the lower in the vise.  I do this before I install the FCG or pistol grip, so the rear portion of the lower makes a nice flat surface to clamp.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I put soft jaws on the vise.  I then clamp the lower in the vise.  I do this before I install the FCG or pistol grip, so the rear portion of the lower makes a nice flat surface to clamp.
View Quote

This is exactly how I do it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Padded vise jaws.
Clamp receiver extension firmly in vise.
Hand tighten lock nut, then apply final torque.
Stake the lock nut in place.

No special jig required.  No broken or tweaked lower receiver when you try to get things a wee bit tighter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#16]
This is what I use to tighten receiver extension nuts.

My preference is to clamp on the receiver extension and minimize the stress on the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pro mag lower vice block (fake magazine type)
View Quote

This.  I used nothing for years and just did it on a table.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#18]
+1 for ProMag set. I use the upper clamshell for upper work and mag block for lower work. Built 8 this way. Never one issue. Got my set at amazon
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You don't need one.
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:52:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s883.photobucket.com/user/rbannon1000/media/IMG_2550.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac33/rbannon1000/IMG_2550.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s883.photobucket.com/user/rbannon1000/media/IMG_2552.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac33/rbannon1000/IMG_2552.jpg</a>

My preference is to clamp on the receiver extension and minimize the stress on the receiver.
View Quote

Where did you get that?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where did you get that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s883.photobucket.com/user/rbannon1000/media/IMG_2550.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac33/rbannon1000/IMG_2550.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s883.photobucket.com/user/rbannon1000/media/IMG_2552.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac33/rbannon1000/IMG_2552.jpg</a>

Where did you get that?

That's nice for a carbine extension, though it won't work with round receiver extension.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
+1  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't need one.
+1  

I use the Mk 0 Feet and Knees Brace Fixture.

If I'm lucky and someone else is around I use the Mk 0.1 Friend's F&K&Hands Brace Fixture. It is much more stable.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where did you get that?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Well I finally got to it.  The mag block worked but I got the tube on a few degrees off.

So I didnt like the mag block and the fact that the stock was crooked....and so just used cardboard on the vise jaws and clamped the extension tube  flats in it. That worked fine.....and cheap.  So I used this method to loosen and re torque the nut and get the stock perfectly straight.  40ft/lbs

BTW I used the hammerhead rifle tools wrench and that thing is the best!!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well I finally got to it.  The mag block worked but I got the tube on a few degrees off.

So I didnt like the mag block and the fact that the stock was crooked....and so just used cardboard on the vise jaws and clamped the extension tube  flats in it. That worked fine.....and cheap.  So I used this method to loosen and re torque the nut and get the stock perfectly straight.  40ft/lbs

View Quote

40 FOOT lbs????
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

40 FOOT lbs????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

40 FOOT lbs????

I read up a pile on it....wasnt the inch/lbs a typo.....anyways 40 inch pounds is almost nothing....I can torque a nut to 40 inch lbs with one finger.  That isn't going to hold much.  40 ft/lbs seems a bit stout but that sucker ain't movin.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I read up a pile on it....wasnt the inch/lbs a typo.....anyways 40 inch pounds is almost nothing....I can torque a nut to 40 inch lbs with one finger.  That isn't going to hold much.  40 ft/lbs seems a bit stout but that sucker ain't movin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

40 FOOT lbs????

Agreed. I'm heavy handed with fasteners (too much so) and I'm 100% positive mine are WELL over 40 ft/lbs (I hand wrenched a barrel nut to 100 ft/lbs when "seating" my first barrel nut ). I don't use a torque wrench on castle nuts (unlike barrel nuts), but rest assured, they are WELL over 40 ft/lbs (I'd guess around 60), then staked. Those bad boys are practically permanent!
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:05:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I made this just because.

2014 AR RAILS 024 by BLACKLIGHT007, on Flickr

2014 AR RAILS 021 by BLACKLIGHT007, on Flickr

2014 AR RAILS 023 by BLACKLIGHT007, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Nothing to contribute? Don't post - Eric802
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If I'm lucky and someone else is around I use the Mk 0.1 Friend's F&K&Hands Brace Fixture. It is much more stable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't need one.
+1  

I use the same model.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top