User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If the head space is wrong you can't even fix it yourself anyway. So take that into consideration in your head space quest!

Many many decent ranges will check headspace go-no-go for free since it is a safety issue.
View Quote

If headspace is off it can be DYI fixed with a few exceptions.
It depends on what is actually wrong as to how easy that may be.
Bolts vary a couple of thousandths and swapping bolts will usually fix a tolerance stacking issue.
Obviously past a certain point it takes someone who knows what they are doing with access to the necessary equipment.
In a lot of cases it is probably better to return the defective barrel assembly.
Of course people who don’t check are limiting their options.
Ranges have no liability for someone damaging their weapon or injuring themselves.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And please respond back to my reasoning on the M249 having the double angle causing the long headspace.  It is something I read and you seem to have some knowledge on the issue.  
View Quote

Actually - I spent a few minutes looking it up - and didn't find much.  I don't have any experience with the M249 SAW chamber, I just have always noticed how LOoOOOOOOooong the headspace is compared the M16 chamber spec.  If there is something specific around the design of their chamber that explains long headspace then please share it.  I've just always assumed they are loose as a goose for reliability above all concerns.

As a reloader, we get TONS of SAW-fired brass.  You can always tell the difference when resizing, there is a bit more resistance resizing SAW fired brass cases back to minimum (full length) spec, as opposed to M16 fired brass.

As to headspacing, I actually have the full match set.  I don't just check min or max, I can tell exactly where a chamber is in between:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/549020/forster-complete-match-headspace-gage-set-223-remington

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top