Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 5:18:07 PM EDT
How long is a carbine spring and how long is a rifle spring?

How do I identify a carbine buffer?

I am doing some troubleshooting on a carbine that won't feed properly and need to know if I'm using the proper spring and buffer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#1]
RIFLE:
SPRING:  11.75 - 13.5"
BUFFER:  about 6"

CARBINE:
SPRING:  10.0625 - 11.25"
BUFFER:  about 3.25"

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.

My buffer is 3 1/4" and the spring is 10 7/8", so that makes them carbine parts.  

I guess it's back to the drawing board.  I wonder what is else could be the cause of the problem?  Hmmm,...
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
What magazines are you using?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Magazines were brand new 10/30 magazines, possibly made by C-Products because it is marked as SS (stainless steel) and has the Magpul follower.

I started a thread in the troubleshooting sub-forum to try and debug this problem.  I was hoping I had a rifle length spring or other bone head problem but it may be must subtle than that.

Link to my other thread
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#5]
What weight carbine buffer? There is more than one - Carbine, H, H1, H2, H3, 9MM. Another tungsten weight is added each step.

I changed my rifle over to carbine buffer tube, spring, and carbine buffer, it's not cycling correctly. The only difference I see is a significantly lighter buffer weight. I see an H3 or 9mm to get close to what did work, the rifle buffer.

One conversation on it: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=556630

Some tune the ejection pattern to meet a 2:00 requirement, having worked the firing line in qualification that is about where most issue rifles eject. If my hunting rifle ejected slightly differently I likely wouldn't spend more money just to move it. What I would like is for it to eject at all right now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I checked the buffer.  There is no marking on it.  So, I'm not sure which type it is.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine looks like the first on the page at this link.  It is unmarked, so it is not the "H" buffer shown a few images below.

Link to Buffer Photos

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a carbine buffer.  Rifle buffers are longer & have an extra ring around the body.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#9]

did it work before you changed gas blocks?

how many rounds through the AR?

is it well lubed?

Have you tried a brand new mag?

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, when I got it from RRA, it worked just fine.  Since then, the barrel was removed and turned down with a new gas block needed for the smaller diameter.  

how many rounds through the AR?

Only a few hundred.  Less than 1,000, by far.

is it well lubed?

I think it is.  I use CLP everywhere but use grease on the locking lugs.

Have you tried a brand new mag?

The mags I am using are brand new 10/30 mags.  These mags work fine in my other rifles.  My other mags are high caps and I cannot insert them in this rifle (it's a felony offense).

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What weight carbine buffer? There is more than one - Carbine, H, H1, H2, H3, 9MM. Another tungsten weight is added each step.

I changed my rifle over to carbine buffer tube, spring, and carbine buffer, it's not cycling correctly. The only difference I see is a significantly lighter buffer weight. I see an H3 or 9mm to get close to what did work, the rifle buffer.

One conversation on it: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=556630

Some tune the ejection pattern to meet a 2:00 requirement, having worked the firing line in qualification that is about where most issue rifles eject. If my hunting rifle ejected slightly differently I likely wouldn't spend more money just to move it. What I would like is for it to eject at all right now.
View Quote

Do  you think the Tubb Carrier Weight System (which I have) would suffice as a substitute for a heavier buffer (which I do not have)?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, when I got it from RRA, it worked just fine.  Since then, the barrel was removed and turned down with a new gas block needed for the smaller diameter.  
is it well lubed?

I think it is.  I use CLP everywhere but use grease on the locking lugs.

I think its undergassed and would explore the gas block change and make sure its right.

about the CLP. that's great that its lubed and the BCG likes to be wet, but grease on the lugs isn't a good idea. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/548967_AR15_LUBE_POINTS.html

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#13]
strip the bolt carrier.......drop the carrier in the receiver turn upside down and see if bolt carrier falls out....if it doesn't you have gas tube alignment issues which can be caused by a bent tube....a slightly mis aligned barrel nut or a slightly twisted gas block.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:43:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think its undergassed and would explore the gas block change and make sure its right.

about the CLP. that's great that its lubed and the BCG likes to be wet, but grease on the lugs isn't a good idea. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/548967_AR15_LUBE_POINTS.html

View Quote

I removed the gas block and found the holes in the barrel and gas block were misaligned by 1/16".  I'm not sure how the gas block got moved but it is correct now and I added some witness marks so I can check it with a simple visual inspection.  I think this will remedy the situation.

I installed the CWS but it is unlikely to be needed.  It is easy to remove.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I went through all my rifles today and lubed them with CLP, as shown in the pictures at that link.  I downloaded a copy of the pictures and made my own poster.  I'll kept it in front of me as I worked today and will do so in the future, too.

My rifles are probably a little too "wet" with lube right now but we'll see what happens during my next trip to the range.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I went through all my rifles today and lubed them with CLP, as shown in the pictures at that link.  I downloaded a copy of the pictures and made my own poster.  I'll kept it in front of me as I worked today and will do so in the future, too.

My rifles are probably a little too "wet" with lube right now but we'll see what happens during my next trip to the range.
View Quote

No such thing as to wet
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#17]

When oil sprays back on your glasses during the first shot and you can't see anymore, you were probably "too wet".
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#18]
For a Rifle with Rifle length Gas Tube  with carbine extension.........

suggest a H6 buffer and a good CS carbine buffer spring.......when using the 20" with rifle gas length tube.

For a Carbine M4 type

H buffer with the same CS carbine buffer spring

In my 18" I use the same setup as the M4 carbine........H Buffer.

I sent my Carrier group to WMD for the Finish......now I dont even worry about lube.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top