Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2014 2:52:10 PM EDT
I see a lot of pics on threads where they are used to measure gas port diamater, etc. Who sells a good one that is relatively inexpensive? thanks
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Good ones are not cheap ones

Mitutoyo gets my vote every time. I'm a tool & die maker and have used most.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
First post

Is the best answer
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First post

Is the best answer
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Define "good"...

I have several Harbor Freight 6" digitals the are proven accurate to the stated tolerance.  They EAT batteries if you don't modify the case and they break easily.

They're also less than $20.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Define "good"...

I have several Harbor Freight 6" digitals the are proven accurate to the stated tolerance.  They EAT batteries if you don't modify the case and they break easily.

View Quote

This, perfectly acceptable. I even use them at work.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Define "good"...

perfect! Exactly what i was looking for. they are on sale for $9. thanks,
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Define "good"...

If you have one of the stores nearby you should pick the calipers up in person.  Quality control is your job when shopping there and some calipers function smoother than others.

If I have time I usually open a few and pick the best one; my store doesn't mind.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
If I'm buying, Harbor Freight ($10).

If the company's buying, Mitutoyo ($OMGWTFBBQ).
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The title of this thread was misleading. You should have asked what is the absolute cheapest digital caliper available because that's what you were looking for
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Starrett > mitutoyo

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The title of this thread was misleading. You should have asked what is the absolute cheapest digital caliper available because that's what you were looking for
View Quote

He asked for good calipers, not the best. I've used Mits, Starretts and HF calipers and they all work fine. No sense in spending the extra money for a hobbyist.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I got these as an Amazon lightning deal about a month ago.  They are surprisingly well made.  I have Mitutoyo at work and these compared favorably to them.  I had the QA person check them out and they were as accurate.  Long-term reliability is the unknown:

http://www.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSOLUTE-Digital-Electronic-Caliper/dp/B00INL0BTS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417137425&sr=8-4&keywords=digital+caliper

Having said that, it is hard to measure holes using calipers, especially small ones like a gas port.  I have tried and then end up using gage pins if it is important and there is always a difference.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:56:27 AM EDT
[#13]
If you buy from Harbor Freight, I'd recommend the stainless steel ones that are normally around $20 instead of the $10 plastic ones.  If you aren't in a hurry wait until they are on sale, the $20 calipers sometimes are marked down to as low as $10...  and if you are in a hurry and they aren't on sale find yourself one of their 20% off coupons which at least brings them down to $16.

And sure, if you are a pro, and depend on them all the time, spending more is probably worth it...  but if you only use them occasionally and you treat them gently, the Harbor Freight ones will generally serve a person just fine.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got these as an Amazon lightning deal about a month ago.  They are surprisingly well made.  I have Mitutoyo at work and these compared favorably to them.  I had the QA person check them out and they were as accurate.  Long-term reliability is the unknown:

http://www.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSOLUTE-Digital-Electronic-Caliper/dp/B00INL0BTS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417137425&sr=8-4&keywords=digital+caliper

Having said that, it is hard to measure holes using calipers, especially small ones like a gas port.  I have tried and then end up using gage pins if it is important and there is always a difference.
View Quote

x2^^ I bought the same ones and they work great.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#15]
For the home hobbyist, the HF calipers work just fine, they come in 4" and 6" sizes. I use the four inch the most, and when I need a long length, I pull out a 12"  or the 18" that stays in a case in the shop, the little 4" are all over my shop, several on each work bench or machine. The electronic ones all use the same chip, and I have checked them over the years for accuracy, with a known sized test block and never noticed any issues. Keep them clean, keep a bunch of the batteries handy, bring them inside in the winter, the battery lasts longer that way. I always have several blister packs of spare LR44 batteries on hand. I buy them at Walmart's electronics department in four or six packs. Same with my Igaging DRO setup on the mill, they also use the same chip as the Calipers.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top