Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 3:20:46 PM EDT
FYI - I did do a search before posting this. I just finished up a build on a Spikes Gen 2 billet lower and I just noticed today that I can pull the PMag out by hand when it has been slammed "home". I thought that it may be held up from seating due to the carrier, but it even does it when I take lower off the upper. Anyone have suggestions? We tried it on two seperate empty mags BTW.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
FYI - I did do a search before posting this. I just finished up a build on a Spikes Gen 2 billet lower and I just noticed today that I can pull the PMag out by hand when it has been slammed "home". I thought that it may be held up from seating due to the carrier, but it even does it when I take lower off the upper. Anyone have suggestions? We tried it on two seperate empty mags BTW.
View Quote

Are you sure you screwed in your magazine catch all the way?  The catch post should be flush with the surface of the mag release button.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you sure you screwed in your magazine catch all the way?  The catch post should be flush with the surface of the mag release button.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Gen 2 came pre-assembled. I went ahead and pressed the button enough to lift the mag catch lever over the bolt catch and cranked one more rotation out of the mag catch lever. It barely made it before it ran out of threads, but I got the full rotation in. Catches the mag perfectly now. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#3]
How many rounds in the mag?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
ive had this issue with PMAGs that are fully loaded.. they will hit the carrier group,, really gotta pound that sucked.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ive had this issue with PMAGs that are fully loaded.. they will hit the carrier group,, really gotta pound that sucked.
View Quote

That's why I asked how many rounds where in the mag.  I've always read that your only suppose to load a 30 round mag to 28 rounds.  Back a few out and see what it does.  It's worked for me, every time I've had the problem your describing, OP.  Until things loosen up some in your new build.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had this problem and the solution was a new magazine catch. -W

ETA: glad to see an adjustment solved the problem. -W
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]
PMags, especially the older ones, are a little "fat" compared to a GI spec mag, especially on the reinforcing rib that touches the bottom of the mag well.  On some lowers that aren't bevelled as aggressively as others it can be very difficult to seat a PMag.  You can either grind the mag well a little so the bevel will accept the PMag or you can trim the PMag slightly so that it fits more comfortably.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've had this problem and the solution was a new magazine catch. -W
View Quote

Same here. Troy ambi releases and billet lowers don't get along. I swapped it with a regular release on a forged lower, and both releases work flawlessly.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top