Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2014 11:59:19 PM EDT
what's up with PTAC.. is it a different company from Palmetto? or is it just a 'sub class' of their lesser quality items.

picked up a NiB BCG today for 89.. couldnt pass up the bargain, figured even if i have to get a HPT/MPI bolt assembly and slap it in it'll be worth it
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe PTAC/ Practical Tactical was just absorbed or purchased by PSA this past summer.  I have never owned anything PTAC.  I have read several reviews on the forum about PTAC lack of quality.  I do not know first hand but based on those reviews I do not plan on finding out first with something as important as a BCG.  Maybe start with a parts kit or some such.  Good luck with your purchase, hope it works out for you.  I highly recommend making sure the headspace is in spec with whatever barrel you choose before shooting it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#2]
My buddy bought a middy ptac upper with fixed front sight base...he put a redfield on it and was shoting 1" groups at 100 yds with m193. Looked good and ran flawless.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Bought a PTAC lower kit about a year ago, put it in a YHM lower with a Windham HB upper. Have had no issues. I actually did switch the trigger group out for a DD trigger group this weekend and was comparing the parts....really couldn't tell a difference
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:50:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I here these horror stories but i have had good experiences with PTAC stuff.  I have a 300 BO 16" barrel that is sweet, as well as a couple LPKs with no issue

a couple friends of mine have PTAC basic 16" uppers and they run flawlessly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I've bought two PTAC Middy uppers and have had no issues with either. I've heard horror stories too ...but I ain't one of 'em.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#6]
They worked fine for me and 4 of my friends.  Excellent accuracy out of the HBAR stainless middy, too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a couple PTac lpks for 36.00 each I think they were. Work great, No problems....
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
They had issues with selling PTAC 1 in 7 twist barreled uppers with corroded and or rough  bores/chambers a while back. No inspection before the sale.
I got one of them.
PSA sent return shipping label and replaced it. It was annoying and disappointing but they took care of it. I have since bought more PTAC uppers with shiney bores. Have not shot them with good scope for accuracy yet so I cannot speak to that.. At a minimum they should be good enough for close combat or defensive use out to 100 yards. They've cleaned up their act. The situation should be in the past.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:31:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I run the PTAC plain BCG in my dissipator, I have had no functional issues using PMC Bronze or Herter's Steel.  Any accuracy issues have been traced to the operator.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:00:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a PTAC lower parts kit that very crude. The take-down detents were either too sharp or the holes in the take-down pins were too deep because I had to tap them loose with a punch. I think I ended up cutting the detent springs to reduce the force needed to push out the take-down pins. Also some of the retaining pins were a little over sized and I had to sand them a little before they fit.

Should have paid a little more for a better kit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#11]
The Ptac brand side of PSA (PSA has absorbed Ptac, so it is now a product OF Psa) is low end. Nothing wrong with that, however their uppers are NOT CL or Melonited. They are Park only (so... bare bore after a few shots). IMHO, it's worth the extra $50 or so for CL or Melonite barrel. I'd NEVER buy a "phosphate barrel", it's just not worth the $50 savings IMHO. An unlined/non melonite barrel suffers premature throat erosion, chamber issues, and must be VERY well maintained against corrosion. Not worth it. Chip in the measily few bucks to step up to lined or melonite.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a PTAC lower parts kit that very crude. The take-down detents were either too sharp or the holes in the take-down pins were too deep because I had to tap them loose with a punch. I think I ended up cutting the detent springs to reduce the force needed to push out the take-down pins. Also some of the retaining pins were a little over sized and I had to sand them a little before they fit.

Should have paid a little more for a better kit.
View Quote

The things you mention are common. I usually trim a few coils off of the detent springs on most of my builds. If you take a caliper to different roll pins that are supposed to be the same size there will be some variance.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I put together my first AR build using a PTAC middy upper that I got from PSA.  I hadn't read anything about them before I bought it, just bought it because the price was good.  My plan was to do an AR15 build for around 500 dollars. The upper helped me achieve this.  I didn't have any issues with mine.  It grouped a little wide at 50 yards, but I attributed that to my aging eyesight and using back up sights.  I later put a red dot sight on it and was able to group better.  Below is a link to a youtube video I did about this upper and the build (well wasn't really a build, more like put together).  

http://youtu.be/dt4R0jibnEc?list=UUJ9TysEIGyveqp2tL7cq-Tg

Darin.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I've built a dozen or so rifles and pistols now with some or all PTAC parts and for the most part they are fine.  I do not like their cheap pistol grip, kinda like a G3 HK grip in shape and the couple folding butt stock assemblies were quite loose on the buffer tube but do work as they should.  Triggers are gritty but any trigger group at that price point I would expect to have to do some polishing. Bolt Carrier Groups for me have been good to go, no  problems and all seem to be of good quality for fit and finish.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top