Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2014 12:37:04 PM EDT
I bought a spikes tactical combo with barrel and gas block with the GB already drilled for a pin. For the life of me I can not get the pin to go through the hole. Its like I am trying to tap a square pin into and round hole.

I have checked spikes website and searched google for any information I could find. Every video I watched they just tapped it in.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the barrel drilled to match the GB? Did the barrel and GB come with the pin? Is it straight or tapered pin setup?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume the GB and barrel were drilled as a hole. I bought it as a package deal from Aim Surplus.

Pin is a tapered. What I have thinking now after looking it doesn't look like a 2/0 reamer was ran down it I drove all over town to find one but no one had it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I helped a buddy with his.  I was patient, got a bigger hammer, and pounded harder.  It still took many times to pound that thing in.  Freaked me out.  They are super tight!!!!   His barrel shoots lights out!

I think we used a 24 oz hammer and my taper pin punch.  And about 20-30 good hard strikes.  It went a tiny bit each time.  I wondered if it was right myself.  That thing set up TIGHT and solid though.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:12:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I assume the GB and barrel were drilled as a hole. I bought it as a package deal from Aim Surplus.

Pin is a tapered. What I have thinking now after looking it doesn't look like a 2/0 reamer was ran down it I drove all over town to find one but no one had it.
View Quote

Never "assume" anything. It is true tho, one would think the GB and barrel were drilled together. Is there some sort of mark(s) on the barrel where the pin would go? I have never seen a pin that hard to install if it is drilled and reamed properly, and you should not have to use the procedure Lug1 has described. Contact the seller or manufacturer before beating anything to death, that may void any kind of warranty.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Never "assume" anything. It is true tho, one would think the GB and barrel were drilled together. Is there some sort of mark(s) on the barrel where the pin would go? I have never seen a pin that hard to install if it is drilled and reamed properly, and you should not have to use the procedure Lug1 has described. Contact the seller or manufacturer before beating anything to death, that may void any kind of warranty.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing was beaten to death. No marks were left and barrel and Gb are still installed properly with no marks.  It required more force than usual.  Send it back if you like.  That is always a good option if you don't think it's gonna work.  The one we worked on worked fine.  We had it on in 5 mins after getting out appropriate tools to get the job done.  It was simply tighter than normal.  Had a 2/0 reamer on my work bench if I had been overly concerned.  And the mark on the barrel is the pin hole where the pin goes.  Install from the right side.  Remove from the left.  And I personally remember it being a straight pin on my buddies. But it's been a while.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Lug1, nothing negative meant by my reply. It just seemed a bit "heavy handed" with a 24 oz hammer, lol. I admit there are times I want to beat something (or someone) with a big hammer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#7]

is the pin hole where the pin goes.  Install from the right side.  Remove from the left.  And I personally remember it being a straight pin on my buddies. But it's been a while.

Thanks for your guys help in this.

This my be a stupid question but what is determined the right side? Looking down the sights or looking backwards.   I was installing it as right side being down the sights.

this was the email I got from spikes.

It should be a “Straight Pin”. The best way to install it is to align the hole first and lock it in place with the set-screw. One end of the Pin should have a slight bevel. That’s the easiest side to start with. You need to properly support the Barrel and gas-block on a very solid surface. Our Armorers use a small Hammer and many fast taps to install them. A Big Hammer is NOT the answer. Give that a try. Let me know how it goes…
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top