Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2014 11:32:37 AM EDT
Has anyone used Line-X or other bed/non slip coating on a A2/A1 Grip as a grip enhancer?

I am looking at quart size or smaller quantity cans here and avalible at Home Depot or a Auto Store.

UPDATE:

Spent 30 minutes with an old soldering iron and this is the result. As close to a VTAC'ish Kyle Lamb'ish Grip that I could do for almost nothing.

So far I like it. I need to get out and shoot it again but so far feels fine.

Its pretty aggressive texture, I knocked off some plastic Irish pennants with some 220 grit and re installed it.

If this feels good shooting I will probably do it to a few other AR's I have.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have sprayed the lower 1/2 of a few magazines with rubberized under coating. Actually works very well. So I can see how bedliner would work also.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It peels unless you really sand or wire-wheel the grip first.  After sanding/abrading the grip there really isn't a need to add bedliner.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a section of bicycle inner tube ?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about a section of bicycle inner tube ?
View Quote

I do use one on my Glock 19 Gen4.... Hmm maybe.

I get sweaty hands

I guess I could use a soldering iron or wood burner.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds kinda funny, but skateboard tape works extremely well on smoother surfaces.  I usually put a little on the front of an issued pistol or on the lower-front of mags.
It might work on the lower-front of an A2 pistol grip as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm on my tablet and to lazy to look' but doesn't Talon Grips my something for the AR?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:23:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm on my tablet and to lazy to look' but doesn't Talon Grips my something for the AR?
View Quote

You're trying to say something about Talon Grips?

I thought you were having a stroke, then I looked it up.  Talon AR15 grip.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. My should have been make. Not sure how I did that.

Thanks for looking it up. I just got one for my Shield. Havent applied it yet, but it feels pretty grippy. <------ is that even a word?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds kinda funny, but skateboard tape works extremely well on smoother surfaces.  I usually put a little on the front of an issued pistol or on the lower-front of mags.
It might work on the lower-front of an A2 pistol grip as well.
View Quote

+1

I used it on an XD, it's great.

XDm grip solved that issue though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:14:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you considered stippling?

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Stippling is what I think I will end up doing, I have only stippled small items like my Safariland holster bail thumb shelf in the past so this will a bit more time consuming but probably worth it. Its low/no cost since I have a soldering iron.

On my SBR I already shaved the A2 down to get rid of the finger rest and the bottom lip. I have 3M grip tape on it now and its comfortable and my hand doesn't move around, however having used grip tape on other items in the past eventually it comes off or bubbles up etc. Hence the reason I was looking at the coatings to enhance my grip but keep the finger groove aspect out of it and not have to pay for a grip I may not like. I like the angle of the standard A2 so maybe I am weird.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For hulk grip, use devcon or something similar and a popsicle stick to spike it.

Be sure to hit it with a file for your delicate Air Force hands.
View Quote

Who the hell is in the USAF?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You never know.....

Lol.... Seriously, though, if stipling doesn't work for you, try my method, I do it on my Manners stocks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For hulk grip, use devcon or something similar and a popsicle stick to spike it.

Be sure to hit it with a file for your delicate Air Force hands.

Who the hell is in the USAF?

You never know.....

Lol.... Seriously, though, if stipling doesn't work for you, try my method, I do it on my Manners stocks.

You got any pics of your method? Devcon is an acrylic of some type?

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks aggressive. This may be an option.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/Skg_Mre_Lght/utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTEtMjAxMTAzMTItMTU1OS5qcGc.jpgHere is a Bell & Carlson stock I did for a buddy of mine with devcon.

You tape off the areas you want to contain it, apply it after sanding (to give it a surface to grip), then "spank" it with a popsicle stick to bring spikes up. Let it dry, then hit the sharp spikes with a file so you don't bleed when shooting.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/Skg_Mre_Lght/utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTItMjAxMTAzMTMtMTUwNC5qcGc.jpg

View Quote

Thats pretty slick. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and info.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I say try some hockey stick tape instead.

I purchase tools and equipment for my Fire Dept.  Before I send any hand tool out I wrap the handle in some really tacky hockey stick tape.  It's pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#21]
UPDATE:

Spent 30 minutes with an old soldering iron and this is the result. As close to a VTAC'ish Kyle Lamb'ish Grip that I could do for almost nothing.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/Skg_Mre_Lght/utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTEtMjAxMTAzMTItMTU1OS5qcGc.jpgHere is a Bell & Carlson stock I did for a buddy of mine with devcon.

You tape off the areas you want to contain it, apply it after sanding (to give it a surface to grip), then "spank" it with a popsicle stick to bring spikes up. Let it dry, then hit the sharp spikes with a file so you don't bleed when shooting.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/Skg_Mre_Lght/utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTItMjAxMTAzMTMtMTUwNC5qcGc.jpg

View Quote

That looks interesting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top