Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2014 8:51:19 PM EDT
I have a cheap removable carry handle that I picked up from the $5 bin at the LGS a few years ago. (American Tactical Import)

It is ugly and I want to cut it down to make a fixed rear BUIS.
Its metal injection molded. If I chop this up, will I be able to drill and tap a hole for a set screw? Or is MIM unable to be machined?

If it can be drilled and tapped, should I put the set screw(s) into the valley of the rail, or drill and tap some of the "lugs" on the uppers rail and screw it together for extra rigidity?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just cut it and use the rear screw and a short section of the clamp rail?  I've seen many of them cut and used that way.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
GriswoldGuns, I have an extra unused chopped carry handle that I can send you that was made from a real carry handle.
Send me your addy and I'll send it to you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]

IM inbound
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
arfcom kicks ass
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
GriswoldGuns, I have an extra unused chopped carry handle that I can send you that was made from a real carry handle.
View Quote

This is how the hobby should be 24/7..........nice of you sir!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:49:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I chopped my own. No set screw, clamps down nicely and doesnt budge a mm.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:08:46 AM EDT
[#8]
If I chop this up, will I be able to drill and tap a hole for a set screw? Or is MIM unable to be machined?
View Quote

You can machine injection molded metal parts.  They pretty much behave like cast or sintered powdered metal parts.  That is, they are more porus and prone to cracking than cold rolled, hot rolled or forged.  When tapping cast, PM or MIM, you just need to be aware that the metal will break out in thin areas rather than stretch, so run your taps accordingly.  Lots of back and forth, lots of cutting oil and compressed air to clear chips.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Just received it today, Bangz.

Greatly appreciated!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top