Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 2:37:41 AM EDT
To begin this, I have attempted an 80% receiver, purchased with the jig from TR Enabling, and it failed. The aluminum split inside the fire control pocket into where the magazine release is.

I ordered everything possible from 80% Arms, in order to keep it uniform, I am using their Black Anodized 80% lower, their universal jig, and their bit set. I ordered the items 2 weeks ago, and they arrived today. On to the pictures!

The Anodized 80% lower. To note, there are 3 very small scratches on the anodizing on the left side of the lower.

All of the drill bits needed, the end mill, and the drill stop. Wrapped up nicely and seems good quality.

The entire jig in its packaging. Router base on top.

The side view of a wall of the universal jig, with the logo.

The bottom of the router base has several rough patches, and although it won't hinder how I machine it since it isn't touched, it doesn't look very nice.

This is the entire jig laid out.

This is everything I ordered from 80% arms, and a brief review on them.

I will update this thread once I turn it into a stripped lower, and maybe continue until the rifle is complete. Thanks for reading!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:29:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
To begin this, I have attempted an 80% receiver, purchased with the jig from TR Enabling, and it failed. The aluminum split inside the fire control pocket into where the magazine release is.
View Quote

This sounds more like operator error, not the jig itself. There are many good reviews of the TR Enabling jig. But- I am not familiar with the TR or the 80% Arms tool, so I will make no comments. I use a different company's jig, and I have 3 rifles that have 80% (forged, no billet for me, thanks) in my safe, one untouched in there as well. I also have one presently in the machine being worked on, and another on the bench partially done.
How about posting a couple of pics of the failed (split) lower to see what happened. Did it split during actual usage or while machining the pocket?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:46:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I bet the jig was slightly higher on the mag end and cause you to cut into the mag release hole.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I've gotten rid of the TR Enabling lower awhile back so there are no pictures, but I brought it to a  buddy who is a professional, and he said that the mag release well was too thin, and the jig was actually off slightly for where it needed to be drilled. Got terrible service from TR Enabling when I contacted them a year ago.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#4]
According to lower prints, and comparing TR drawing for their billet lower, there should be about .08 thickness material @ the hole for the mag release. That is comparable to the wall thickness on a forged lower @ the FCG pocket. As I said, most likely the OP screwed up while machining his TR lower.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I will bail on this thread, and keep any further opinions to myself.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:58:27 AM EDT
[#6]
i have done 5 receivers from 80% arms my self and only had one problem with cutting the trigger hole at the bottom of the well. that was cause of bit walk

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pz_4SNHEwM[/youtube]

thats my video i did and added a few tips for getting it done
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:04:57 AM EDT
[#7]
That sucks that you had a failure. Not knowing what exactly was the cause you have learned a valuable lesson. Things happen but learning is invaluable.

I use Tactical Machining forged pre anodized lowers. I also use their jig. I have completed 6 rifles. All have turned out and the rifles function 100%.

I definitely can say each one came out better than the one before it. I have changed to different tooling and my steps have been tweaked for my set up. I use a mill/drill press JET combo machine with an X Y table and a mill vise.

Don't give up. Maybe try a diff jig setup  Milling 80% lowers is very rewarding. Do some more research and have fun with it! If I can help let me know.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:58:47 AM EDT
[#8]
ill be willing to bet that the jig wasnt set properly cause I used the same jig and lowers and 3 of the 5 lowers ive done all work great. and your right the more you do with a jig the better they turn out.
" />
" />" />" />" />
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:17:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Paso and Sanity hit it correctly. Every one you do, new ideas come up how to do it better, and new tooling. It is a disease on it's own, sorta like BRD, but more about machining 80% lowers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#10]
David Lee thanks for the validation
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I've not yet finished this lower from 80% arms, but this jig set up is great. The only problem I had, was my drill stop slipped up slightly and I didn't catch it. Only slightly, so it will still work. All I have left is the trigger hole, safety selector, firing pin, and hammer pinholes. I have to give this company a great review. I've gotten great service and a great product.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top