Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 5:29:22 PM EDT
Looking to build an AR preferably in a commonly available cartridge that I can use a 6.8SPC bolt.

This will be a bolt action using a STAG BCG.

ETA: looks like Stag is also making 300blk. Any other caliber options?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Uhm... 6.8 SPC???

Also if you're going to build a bolt action AR15 it seems like you'd need a bolt carrier with a side handle and I don't think Stag makes one - at least I couldn't find it on their web site. You'll also need a receiver slotted for the side charging handle.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I am on my cell at the moment so searching isn't working to well. Bolt action ARs are easy just need a barrel with no gas port.

However I will be getting a side charging left hand eject upper from Gibbz Arms. I was hoping I may be able to use 300blk of 7.62x39.

ETA: I was hoping for a list in hopes a caliber I already have would be on there but at the moment I think the only one candidate I have would be 7.62x39

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope, your thinking of the 6.5 Grendel, it has the same base size of the 7.62x39 but many of the barrels won't head space on 7.62 barrel vs. 6.5 . so even there you will most likely be Sol.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want to run 300 BO you don't need a special bolt since it uses the same bolt as 5.56. Why do you want to run a 6.8 SPC bolt if you're not building a 6.8 SPC rifle? If it's just because you already have one, you could probably sell it for enough to pay for a bolt that would work with the cartridge of your choice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:09:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want to run 300 BO you don't need a special bolt since it uses the same bolt as 5.56. Why do you want to run a 6.8 SPC bolt if you're not building a 6.8 SPC rifle? If it's just because you already have one, you could probably sell it for enough to pay for a bolt that would work with the cartridge of your choice.
View Quote

Only 2 LH bolts that are readily available are Stags in 5.56 and 6.8. There was a company that was selling 5.56 bolts machined out to work with 7.62x39 but they were impossible to find and not to reliable.

Id like to chamber it in as common a caliber as possible.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I would say get a 5.56 bolt then because you can run a .300 blackout and 5.56 on the same bolt giving you the most versatility.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would say get a 5.56 bolt then because you can run a .300 blackout and 5.56 on the same bolt giving you the most versatility.
View Quote

This has the added advantage of being the strongest bolt available because they haven't been machined to larger dimensions. 300 blackout uses reformed 5.56mm brass which is cheap and plentiful. They also run through 5.56mm magazines.

Any other specialty caliber except 6x45mm, .20 Tactical or something like that needs separate bolts, brass and magazines all of them more expensive.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top