Page / 11
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Worst case scenerio. You can fabricate a miniture caa saddle? XD
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

Could, but no point.  Unless I built a stock that was ridiculously disproportionate in length and used a 3" riser for an optic, this thing is just not useable from the shoulder, and trying to put it up against your cheek where your eye would line up with an optic has the stock or bare buffer tube sitting against your cheek bone.  That wouldn't be comfortable even considering the miniscule chambering I intend.

Put it this way:  I had my 4 year old daughter (who is in the 15th percentile of growth charts) shoulder it with the stock at full extension, and her with this thing looked like a full grown man using a Cricket .22.

It is difficult to appreciate just how diminutive 1/2 scale is until you're actually holding one.  Once you do, it becomes evident that unless your are a perfectly proportionate person who stands 3 feet tall, this gun is a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Could, but no point.  Unless I built a stock that was ridiculously disproportionate in length and used a 3" riser for an optic, this thing is just not useable from the shoulder, and trying to put it up against your cheek where your eye would line up with an optic has the stock or bare buffer tube sitting against your cheek bone.  That wouldn't be comfortable even considering the miniscule chambering I intend.

Put it this way:  I had my 4 year old daughter (who is in the 15th percentile of growth charts) shoulder it with the stock at full extension, and her with this thing looked like a full grown man using a Cricket .22.

It is difficult to appreciate just how diminutive 1/2 scale is until you're actually holding one.  Once you do, it becomes evident that unless your are a perfectly proportionate person who stands 3 feet tall, this gun is a pistol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was just suggesting since it looked like a stock. Kind of how you see a thordsen/caa set up on ar pistols.

Might look better than just a buffer tube extension if the ATF Poo Poos it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#4]

I was just suggesting since it looked like a stock. Kind of how you see a thordsen/caa set up on ar pistols.

View Quote

Very true.

I'm fairly confident I'll get the OK to classify as a pistol.  No reasonable person would believe this thing can be fired as a rifle. If they balk on the first request, I'll appeal the decision with a lot more photos, particularly with the weapon being held in real live human hands.  I probably should have sent them this one as well:

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Very true.

I'm fairly confident I'll get the OK to classify as a pistol.  No reasonable person would believe this thing can be fired as a rifle. If they balk on the first request, I'll appeal the decision with a lot more photos, particularly with the weapon being held in real live human hands.  I probably should have sent them this one as well:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1223_zps6110a30b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Very true.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1223_zps6110a30b.jpg

LMAO Your point is made. That is definitely not a rifle. I love it. Awesome work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats really fucking cool
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Subbed. That is awesome
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]
OP I mean no disrespect, but...

That is fucking adorable. No Homo.

I didn't think it would be that tiny.
"Sometimes you need a little less gun."

I'd love to see you scale down an AK next
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Very true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Very true.

Haha that just looks amazing. If they make you take the "stock" off of that thing I would be surprised but then again you never know.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Haha that just looks amazing. If they make you take the "stock" off of that thing I would be surprised but then again you never know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.

Miniature sig brace?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Miniature sig brace?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.

Miniature sig brace?

Would be a finger brace lol
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Sixtysixdeuce

Wow just wow .... killer machine skills

Im betting you’re nova is just as cool
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you for the compliments, guys  Much appreciated, as I tend to see the flaws more than anything.

View Quote

Are you speaking of this?:

If so, that's no GM

It's a '78 Dodge Aspen T-top coupe I shoe horned a 440 into.  Motor has stock internals, just an Edelbrock intake, Quickfuel 850 carb and MSD ignition components.  727 trans with 1,700 stall and TF1 shift kit, Dana 44 3.73 posi rear spinning the 255/60-15 Firehawks.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thank you for the compliments, guys  Much appreciated, as I tend to see the flaws more than anything.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Vehicles/101_1126.jpg

If so, that's no GM

It's a '78 Dodge Aspen T-top coupe I shoe horned a 440 into.  Motor has stock internals, just an Edelbrock intake, Quickfuel 850 carb and MSD ignition components.  727 trans with 1,700 stall and TF1 shift kit, Dana 44 3.73 posi rear spinning the 255/60-15 Firehawks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If so, that's no GM

theres a lady in town that has a 77 volare roadrunner with the track pak it has the scoop flares and spoiler and its orange, I i tryed for years to get it but no luck by the time she was ready to come off of it it was so rusted out underneath it wasnt fesable for me to save
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely beautiful work! How did you make the plastic parts?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Dude that is fucking mindblowing. Mother fucking subscribed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#17]
OP:   craftsman, master m1m0

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice to see a true craftsman at work. !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#19]
theres a lady in town that has a 77 volare roadrunner with the track pak it has the scoop flares and spoiler and its orange, I i tryed for years to get it but no luck by the time she was ready to come off of it it was so rusted out underneath it wasnt fesable for me to save
View Quote

That makes me sad  Not many of the performance package F bodies to begin with.

That is the beauty of being in Colorado, though; vehicles that have spent most or all of their lives here have very little rust, even those that were made before galvanized sheet metal became standard.  My '51 Dodge pick-up was practically rust free.  Regrettably, I had to part with it a couple years ago.  Was a cool truck, but I have too many projects, not enough time and money.  I've still got a '69 Charger (R/T clone made from 383 SE car) out back needing drivetrain.  And I need to build a hotter motor for the Aspen.  And I need to get the 5.2L Magnum engine I have into my '83 Ramcharger, and get a locked & 4.10'd Dana 60 & 14 bolt under it.  And I need to get a super single conversion done on the M35A2......

How did you make the plastic parts?
View Quote

Same as the metal parts.  They're cut from a 1.3" thick chunk of ABS:

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#20]

No, seriously, that's really cool. And it's sized for me!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#21]
it looked like this but it had glass t tops and white vinyl interior

by the time she wanted to get rid of it the whole floorpan from the pedals to the trunk was rotted compleatly out... sad day and im not even  ahuge mopar fan
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
it looked like this but it had glass t tops and white vinyl interior
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/zetabird/38219280001_large_zps63ce6c67.jpg
by the time she wanted to get rid of it the whole floorpan from the pedals to the trunk was rotted compleatly out... sad day and im not even  ahuge mopar fan
View Quote

My uncle had a green one almost identical to that disappear from a mechanic's fenced, locked lot one night about 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Thats badass !!! Cant wait to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1226_zpse445961b.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

How did you make the plastic parts?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1226_zpse445961b.jpg

Ok. Well I geuss that is one way to do it. I have one 1/2 scale set of plastic but I need another set. I was going to try a 3d printer.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I was speechless for a few minutes...

OP that is the most amazing thing I have seen in a good long while.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If so, that's no GM

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If so, that's no GM

Your Screen name led my to think you have a 66 Nova ... people call chevy II’s deuces
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Your Screen name led my to think you have a 66 Nova ... people call chevy II’s deuces
View Quote

Ah.  I just figured you had looked through some of my other photos and saw the Aspen, which a lot of people do mistake for a Nova.

No, in my case it is about a vehicle, but that vehicle is a 1966 Kaiser M35A2 "deuce and a half" (pictured on page 2 of this thread)
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:31:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Awesome work, OP.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:45:47 AM EDT
[#29]
   Wow!  So - how do you feel about cross-bolt safeties on the AR?  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#30]
So - how do you feel about cross-bolt safeties on the AR?
View Quote

I'm not a fan of cross bolt safeties in general.  Why do you ask?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  

View All Quotes
Quoted:  
So - how do you feel about cross-bolt safeties on the AR?

Makes things a lot easier when the sidewall of your AR lower receiver is 1 plastic brick wide.... and you're obviously capable of making a very different type of safety.

<<< see avatar
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Makes things a lot easier when the sidewall of your AR lower receiver is 1 plastic brick wide.... and you're obviously capable of making a very different type of safety.
View Quote

So you're asking what I think of such a safety on a Lego gun?  

As for mine, it already has a functional 1/2 scale standard AR safety cut from D2 tool steel, complete with machined cuts on the lever.  Other than being semi auto only, blow back operated and requiring a heavier barrel profile on account of the caliber being 77% scale, I am trying to make everything as accurate as possible to an M4.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:20:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  

As for mine, it already has a functional 1/2 scale standard AR safety cut from D2 tool steel, complete with machined cuts on the lever.  Other than being semi auto only, blow back operated and requiring a heavier barrel profile on account of the caliber being 77% scale, I am trying to make everything as accurate as possible to an M4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:  

No, I'm admiring your beautiful machine work, and wondering what it would take to get you to make a cross-bolt AR safety.  I get that it's not optimal for the platform - but it should work, and allows variations of the platform to be more easily created, as it caters easily to various receiver thicknesses.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#34]
any update on this? did you get word back from the atf?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#35]
any update on this? did you get word back from the atf?
View Quote

No word from ATF FTB yet.

Got extractor & firing pin sorted out, and had to redo the hammer; it was not quite catching the sear when depressed by the bolt, so we tried to TIG a little material to the face.  It was disastrous:

The new hammer works properly, and has a little more mass.  

I still need to procure a barrel, and I'm really thinking I'm gonna have to have hammer & trigger springs custom made, as every attempt of mine to make them out of existing springs has resulted in lack of power.  To be made yet are bolt hold open, ejector, forward assist, dust cover, hand guard and front sight base.  FSB will be pretty easy, haven't yet decided on plastic or an aluminum quad rail for the HG, and I'm thinking the ejector will be incorporated into the BHO.  

Part of the problem, though, is it has been downright frigid here in CO.  After a full day of being cold and wet working on cars, about the last place I want to be is still in the shop, having to either freeze my tail off or listen to & smell a diesel salamander for hours on end.  So yeah, between needing parts, waiting on ATF reply and just not being inclined to spend time in the shop, progress has been limited lately.  I was also held up for a little while after blowing a capacitor in my phase converter and then having to wait on a new order of 1/8" end mills.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#36]
sounds like how some of my days go, have you thought of getting ahold of wolff springs, or i think sprinco? to get some custom ones made
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow. Stunned by the coolness.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, I found a little motivation today.  Got the quad rail done, although copying the MI carbine rail I had at 50% resulted in the top of the quad rail and the top of the receiver being uneven by 0.036".  Oh well, maybe I'll try again later, but this will ride for now.  Machined from 1.5" 6061 round stock

And the bolt with extractor & firing pin:

Gets a pretty good grip:

Think I'll do the front sight next, then get back after the BHO, dust cover and FA.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I love this thread.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#40]
This is the coolest thing I've ever seen on arf. Off the chiz-ain for sure. I was going to beg you to throw a quad on it, and then I saw your previous post. YES!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#41]
wow looks good, keep it up and i cant wait to see it done and fired
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#42]
if i haven't commented before in this thread: i am following it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#43]
This is one of the best threads I've ever found on ARFCOM. Awesome work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice update this thread always makes my day! I really wish there was some way of you mass producing these things (not that i would want to ruin their charm) but i'd dearly love one of them!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Just read all 4 pages and saw every picture and description and this is how I am...

Great job man and keep it up!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I love this thread.
View Quote

do you have a picture of the round stock before any milling or during? how thick is it where you can mill the rails into it?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#47]
do you have a picture of the round stock before any milling or during? how thick is it where you can mill the rails into it?
View Quote

Sorry, didn't take any pics as I was going on this piece.  If I understand your question, I believe you are under the impression that this was aluminum tube.  It is solid 6061 round stock; had to bore the .700" hole through it.

Order of operations was:

1: turn 1.5" round stock into 1.22" on the flats octagon with 2 flute 13/16" cutter, square the ends
2: bore hole
3: cut recesses between rails with 1/2" 4 flute cutter
4: relieve under rail sections with 3/32" two flute cutter
5: cut 3/32" slots in rails, 16 per rail
6: cut to length
7: cut outside radii on rotary table
8: file and sand to get rounded profile between rail sections and to remove tool marks

Steps 4 and 5 were alternated, rather that having to come back and reposition the piece in the vise 4 more times.

A bit over simplified, but an insight into how one would turn pieces of billet into a part like this.  Of course, commercial full size rails are made from extrusions that are very close to the finished inner and outer dimensions.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well, I found a little motivation today.  Got the quad rail done, although copying the MI carbine rail I had at 50% resulted in the top of the quad rail and the top of the receiver being uneven by 0.036".  Oh well, maybe I'll try again later, but this will ride for now.  Machined from 1.5" 6061 round stock

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1235_zpsf9f320e0.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1236_zpsefe7d6c7.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1234_zpsc99f009b.jpg

And the bolt with extractor & firing pin:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1237_zps4f603b08.jpg

Gets a pretty good grip:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1239_zpsca29a7c0.jpg

Think I'll do the front sight next, then get back after the BHO, dust cover and FA.
View Quote

I know it's been said over and over but it deserves repeating, AMAZING work dude.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sorry, didn't take any pics as I was going on this piece.  If I understand your question, I believe you are under the impression that this was aluminum tube.  It is solid 6061 round stock; had to bore the .700" hole through it.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1240_zps2e327fb3.jpg

Order of operations was:

1: turn 1.5" round stock into 1.22" on the flats octagon with 2 flute 13/16" cutter, square the ends
8: file and sand to get rounded profile between rail sections and to remove tool marks

Steps 4 and 5 were alternated, rather that having to come back and reposition the piece in the vise 4 more times.

A bit over simplified, but an insight into how one would turn pieces of billet into a part like this.  Of course, commercial full size rails are made from extrusions that are very close to the finished inner and outer dimensions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1240_zps2e327fb3.jpg

Order of operations was:

Yes, you understood exactly what I was asking.  I was thinking aluminum tubing. not solid stock. this is my favorite arfcom thread. im sure you have said it before but I didn't see it, what ammo are you going to be using?

Awesome stuff man, keep it up.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:  Yes, you understood exactly what I was asking.  I was thinking aluminum tubing. not solid stock. this is my favorite arfcom thread. im sure you have said it before but I didn't see it, what ammo are you going to be using?

Awesome stuff man, keep it up.
View Quote

Think he's using .17" HM2.
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top