Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Just saw this post.  All I can say it WOW!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Still no word huh? I can't wait to see the video of this thing firing!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread is reason to have a "best of Arfcomm" thread. Keep up the updates. I can't wait for a video. What do you think total time/financials were for this project?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Still no word huh?
View Quote

No.  

I'm going to order the chamber reamer in the next week or two and just proceed.  If ATF wants to challenge me on the status of this weapon after the fact, I'll see them in court.  Don't think there would be many judges who would find themselves sympathetic to the agency when said agency ignored the solicitation of an opinion in exact accordance with their policies.

What do you think total time/financials were for this project?
View Quote

I'm at about 240 hours and somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 for materials and tooling bought specifically to do this project (including the used .17-222 barrel I'll be chopping, rechambering and reprofiling).

I expect at least another 20 hours to finish the barrel and to tweak and tune things to actually make it run.  I'm still skeptical about my hammer striking force being sufficient, but it's difficult to test without having a chamber in which to insert the case, and to provide backing for the rimfire rim to ensure that all FP force is used to dent the rim, rather than trying to push the whole case away from the bolt face.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the update.

Your little build makes all my full size builds look pretty lame.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:07:09 AM EDT
[#7]
OST for posterity in an epic thread!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
#mindblown
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably one of the coolest projects I've seen here man. Not because it's a miniature AR, but because you have done this completely from scratch. I would guess that you are a guy who finds obstacles interesting, rather than aggravating.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not really sure what to say.  That's just about the coolest thing I've ever seen.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#11]
This is freaking cool.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, great project. Tag for updates!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#13]
This is very cool.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]
In for the awesome.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Finally got my chamber reamer

Unfortunately, I was not able to test fire it.  The force required for primer ignition is still 1:1, so my 1:2 0.020" music wire hammer spring just isn't gonna cut it.  0.039" spring temper wire on order.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#16]
What did this barrel start life as?

Any word from the ATF?

What threads on the muzzle ?

Again, Very Cool!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#17]
What did this barrel start life as?

Any word from the ATF?

What threads on the muzzle ?
View Quote

ATF never bothered to respond. After 7 months, I'm done waiting.  There's no question about what this is, I just wanted a letter.

The barrel was a 22" .17-222, not sure what it came off of.  I scored it for $53 shipped on fleabay.  Was a lot of material removal to get to this tiny profile!  Muzzle threads are 5/16-40.

Once I sort out the hammer spring, all that's left is to tune the recoil spring until it cycles, then Cerakote.  It feeds, extracts and ejects just fine.  This is where it sits now, shown with my 7.5" Ruger SRH:

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#18]
How the hell am I just now seeing this!? Taking "build it yourself " to a whole different level! Awesome work. You my friend have skills.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, I've followed this since your OP, however, the pic with the Ruger certainly brings ones focus to how small it really is.
Can't wait to see it in action!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep up the good work op.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:34:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Bump for awesomeness.

Cannot wait for firing video.

Is the sight done? I don't remember seeing any shots of it illuminated.

OP is awesomesauce and wins the internet every day for this build
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Is the sight done? I don't remember seeing any shots of it illuminated.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Jesus, that is simply just amazing.  Man i got to hand it to you,  this project is really well done.  Great fucking work and thanks a ton for sharing with us.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#24]
WOW! i just found this too. that is amazing work.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Can't remember if I was IN! before, but I definitely am now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Been following this one for a while. Can't wait to see video of it shooting. Amazing work you are doing here.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Updates?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Still trying to sort out the hammer spring power issue.  The heavier music wire didn't work, and I also tried doing a hyperfire style arrangement with small coil springs to no avail.  It dents the rim, but not enough for ignition.  We'll get it, but not there yet.   A friend of mine with a 40 year career in manufacturing and metalwork is going to try his hand at making the spring.  If that fails, I will probably use a flat spring that seats against the rear shelf.  Hate to alter the configuration like that, but if that's what it takes to make it go bang, then that's what I'll do.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Still trying to sort out the hammer spring power issue.  The heavier music wire didn't work, and I also tried doing a hyperfire style arrangement with small coil springs to no avail.  It dents the rim, but not enough for ignition.  We'll get it, but not there yet.   A friend of mine with a 40 year career in manufacturing and metalwork is going to try his hand at making the spring.  If that fails, I will probably use a flat spring that seats against the rear shelf.  Hate to alter the configuration like that, but if that's what it takes to make it go bang, then that's what I'll do.
View Quote
Maybe increase the weight of the hammer?

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decrease the weight of the hammer. KE = 1/2*M*V^2
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can he decrease the size of the firing pin?  Smaller area = greater force applied to the area of the pin?  Or would that be dangerous?

Also....this is the coolest project I've ever seen.  OP, you are a god of machining.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Can he decrease the size of the firing pin?  Smaller area = greater force applied to the area of the pin?  Or would that be dangerous?

Also....this is the coolest project I've ever seen.  OP, you are a god of machining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you get too small, you'll pierce the primer area, rather than just dent it.  Not good.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#34]
This is beyond awesome!

Any chance you can take a video of you putting a mag in, charging it, function test, etc?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#35]
wow im glad to see you getting this done, amazing work, i do hope to see a half scale fal next though
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#36]
How we doing on this Sixtysix?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 4:41:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Take a look at the Marlin 39 A firing pin and scale it down? Maybe?

Would require a different cut through the bolt but it might work.

Certainly not Stoner approved, but just might work.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Please finish this before you get banned. RDTCU really let us down with his PDW.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Please finish this before you get banned
View Quote

What am I going to be banned from?

It really is finished, just having trouble getting around this spring power problem.  I haven't messes with it for a few weeks, as I have a lot on my plate right now.  We've had crazy weather that's dealt me quite the sour hand, beginning with a hail storm that pounded us with 2" ice rocks, followed by rains so heavy that they've actually shifted my foundation, causing cracks that resulted in water intrusion.  Now I have to excavate and waterproof the west side of my foundation, and then replace all the carpet and sheet rock I removed when the mold started.

These kinds of projects get done in my leisure time, which I simply have more of in the winter months.  Aside from the house issues, work is keeping me tied up; I'm booking appointments 15-18 days out right now, and putting in 10-13 hour days just to stay on schedule.

So no, I haven't forgotten or abandoned this project, just don't have the time right now.  It's a spring and a cerakoat job away from complete, but the spring is a significant obstacle.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Sorry to hear of your house troubles SixtySix.

I'm not familiar with the other guy getting banned, but I'm guessing he had a project that folks were following and in the meantime got banned leaving those following his project hanging?

I appreciate you sharing this project with us!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Sorry to hear of your house troubles SixtySix.

I'm not familiar with the other guy getting banned, but I'm guessing he had a project that folks were following and in the meantime got banned leaving those following his project hanging?

I appreciate you sharing this project with us!
View Quote
I'm just tagging this to keep it out of the archives!

Sorry to hear about your house problems. I guy has to keep his prioritiies straight! If I had any answers to your spring problem, I would love to help, but I aint that smart.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Please finish this before you get banned. RDTCU really let us down with his PDW.
View Quote

He just posted on the 27th

RDTCU's PDW Build
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#44]
If I remember correctly, he may have been banned, but that was some time ago.  And I think he had another PDW Build going, something similar to a P90
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Sixtysix didn't mean anything by it. Sorry to hear about the house. And I didn't know RTDCU's ban was lifted. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It really is finished, just having trouble getting around this spring power problem.  I haven't messes with it for a few weeks, as I have a lot on my plate right now.  We've had crazy weather that's dealt me quite the sour hand, beginning with a hail storm that pounded us with 2" ice rocks, followed by rains so heavy that they've actually shifted my foundation, causing cracks that resulted in water intrusion.  Now I have to excavate and waterproof the west side of my foundation, and then replace all the carpet and sheet rock I removed when the mold started.

These kinds of projects get done in my leisure time, which I simply have more of in the winter months.  Aside from the house issues, work is keeping me tied up; I'm booking appointments 15-18 days out right now, and putting in 10-13 hour days just to stay on schedule.

So no, I haven't forgotten or abandoned this project, just don't have the time right now.  It's a spring and a cerakoat job away from complete, but the spring is a significant obstacle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Please finish this before you get banned

Sorry to hear about the house issues.

We understand that side projects are back burner to life.

Some new pics in this thread would be nice though!
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Please make a matching mini suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#48]
BUMP.

Any updates op?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Busy Summer, bet OP will post updates when available.
I, too, want to see it in Action!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Busy Summer, bet OP will post updates when available.

I, too, want to see it in Action!
View Quote
I know, lots going on. Just wanted to keep this out of the archive.

Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top