Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 12:10:32 PM EDT
Hello all,
I've been lurking and using this website as the wealth of information that it is, but I'm now at the point that I need ask my own question. I'm building a 300blk AR. I have the major components. I have the upper, lower, and buffer tube all in 7075-t6. I have a lower kit and the BCG in NiB-X. Where I'm stuck at is the barrel. I've read everything from 1/7 twist to 1/10 bring ideal for the 300blk. So I'm really not sure. That's where I need help. I also need help picking one out. So what twist ratio is the best all around for both subsonic and sonic rounds? I'm looking a gun that will be good at close to medium range. I'm looking for a a barrel in the 14"-16" range. Something that runs for $300 or less would be ideal. Any advice or suggestions? Here's my builds baby pic:

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't go higher than 1/8 to stableize 220 subs.  I'd also consider and sbr if you ever plan on shooting supressed.  I just built my sbr with a rainier match stainless 10.5" and I am very happy with it.  I had a bad experience with an out of spec barrel extension on a cheaper barrel.  Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I am building my first 300 and it will be the first one I build from scratch as well (so far only done the lowers). I went with CMMG 16" from cheaper then dirt. Had it for $150 I think. It seemed to be a decent barrel from reviews and this forum post from the past. Same specs as the one listed above but 16.1". Wont be able to tell ya how good it is for a while though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:50:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry off topic but who makes that upper?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 barrels from Mas Defense, they are priced right and ship fast.

http://shop.masdefense.com/300-AAC-Blackout_c9.htm
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#6]
what you seek is available from SOTA Arms.  16" for less than $150 and it is a tack driver.  many people on here run there 16 inch barrel and have great success.for the value it cannot be beat.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry off topic but who makes that upper?
View Quote

It's Blackwoods Arms billet right side charging upper. That was a mouth full! It's straight from their machine and hasn't been cerakoted yet.

Also, thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like 1:8 twist is the way to go for the 300blk. That will be adequate for both sub and sonic rounds? I now have some choices to look through now. And do y'all prefer the melonite coating over chrome lined?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
AAC recommends 1/7 rifling for both sub- and supersonic.  CMMG has a nice Melonited 16" barrel for about $180.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top