Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2014 8:45:05 PM EDT
So I thought I finished my first 80% build but as I went to assemble it I realized that the rear trigger pocket had been opened up a few thou too wide. The hole where the spring/detant for the safety should be is now open to the trigger pocket. My thought is to plug the hole for the safety with plasticine and build up the area with JB and re drill.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom or do I have a paper weight?

thanks

Bush
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Ouch, I had one that barely broke through there once, but it still had plenty of meat to hold the detent securely in place.  It's a dedicated 22, but I haven't had any issues with it.  

Unfortunately it looks like you took out a bit more.  You could try to drill and tap the hole then loctite in an aluminum screw.  Then cut it off, drill it out for the dentent and clean up the inside with the mill.  JB weld may work just fine, personally, I try to avoid it.  YMMV and I'm checking back for others suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Jewelers torch and some aluminum welding rod?
also looks like you forgot to do the rear take down lug pocket.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#3]
there's a two part epoxy putty named Kwik Steel, (around here)
its in tube form, you cut off a portion and mix it by kneading.
it isn't runny and will fill in that area so you can re machine it.
it'll work fine, that's a very low stress area.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an old Sendra lower someone had busted that portion out trying to bang the selector out not knowing how to remove it. I cut some shim metal to cover the whole gap,  sleeved the open side of the hole, and expoxied it all in place.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
chalk it up to the price of learning.  

I lost a 80% lower when the end mill slipped in the collet.  I scrapped that one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll be fine, but put in a selector with detention and rest it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd use JB weld.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll be fine, but put in a selector with detention and rest it.
View Quote

you know, i might actually work ok just like it is, more than half the circumference is there.
it's definitely worth testing, nothing to lose.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:07:01 AM EDT
[#9]
i don't think your even close to done cutting.   that pocket has to go way back..
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i don't think your even close to done cutting.   that pocket has to go way back..
View Quote

Came to post this. There's no pocket cut yet for the rear lug on the upper. Be sure not to cut that part too wide or your upper/lower fit will be wobbly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:29:56 AM EDT
[#11]
 Even the Canadians are building 80% lowers!  Good work, OP.  87% of ARFCOM has never even tried to drill an 80% lower.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top