Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2014 4:55:26 PM EDT
Hey guys hoping to start my 1st ar build in the near future I've had a few ars and messed with some mods here n there on them but never built one. Any suggestions? Advice?thoughts on Gas or piston? Gotta 16 inch barrel in mind. And what do yall think about pimpled barrels?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The answers to your questions depend on what you have in mind. What do you want to build it for? Plinking? Hunting? Home/ self defense? Retro build? Badass safe queen?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to try building an AR, youtube is your best friend for doing so...
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want to try building an AR, youtube is your best friend for doing so...
View Quote

This, I learned everything about building an AR from youtube and the stickies.
As for what to get that is up to you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:03:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I want to set it up mainly for self defense in the house but also a shtf gun so i want to be able to go to 200 yards if I had to and for plinking.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:12:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone found anything I should NOT do? Brands to stay away from? And anyone know anything about polymer lowers?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:21:11 AM EDT
[#6]
No polymer lowers unless your lucky and stay away from Ice Arms according to the board, If you only want to go out to 200 yards a pistol gives you the most versatility.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Any suggestions on a good military spec light waight lower recever that won't break the bank?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Any suggestions on a good military spec light waight lower recever that won't break the bank?
View Quote
andersons are around $40

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:13:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Suggestions on good crisp 2 stage triggers?  And what's the hype on the flat triggers I've been seeing everyone get? Anyone see any advantages? Is it just 1 brand that makes them or is that fixing to be the new "must have" for ars? I can't find much about them on line
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I recommend a classic A-2 rifle with a 20 inch barrel for challenge of building an AR-15 in it's true form.  You can still add any accessory you may want -- besides they are getting few in number as everyone wants a flat top upper receiver version.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I think 20" is a bit much for home defense...

Also mentioned above, no need to go polymer on the lower since there are forged for about $40 that have proven reliability.  Also, I would stick with DI over piston on your first build.  

Do you have or are you planning to buy the tools to assemble the upper?

Lots of love for the Geissele G2S 2 stage.  

I run a CMC 3.5 straight on my SPR just because it allows me to more easily repeat finger position.  On my current build, which is a defense based 14.5, I have an ALG ACT ready to go in.

Disclaimer:  I'm not a pro...  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think 20" is a bit much for home defense...

Also mentioned above, no need to go polymer on the lower since there are forged for about $40 that have proven reliability.  Also, I would stick with DI over piston on your first build.  

Do you have or are you planning to buy the tools to assemble the upper?

Lots of love for the Geissele G2S 2 stage.  

I run a CMC 3.5 straight on my SPR just because it allows me to more easily repeat finger position.  On my current build, which is a defense based 14.5, I have an ALG ACT ready to go in.

Disclaimer:  I'm not a pro...  
View Quote

Its only 4 inches. I don't think an extra 4 inches in barrel length will make or break a home defense gun. I really enjoy the signature of a 20 inch and its rifle length gas system.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks I'll give the triggers a look and did some looking at polymer lowers on youtube and for sure not getting  them. And ya I got lots of tool available my brother in law is a gun dealer and gun gun smith. Got pretty luckey there lol
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I would like to make a good A2 to, my next build will definitely be an A2 I love the look of the old Nam guns to.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Any recommendations on striped upers? Thinking about maybe getting a sun devil lower
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top