Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2014 2:30:47 PM EDT
I am a beginner with the AR15 and just thought I would share an idea I came up with to help me with the bolt catch roll pin...
I have not seen anything like this on the market so I made my own tool...
I think it's handy, maybe someone else will too.

Link to video of me using it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fYCEzg0jno

Link to me modifying the tool:
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owHk55KMLB4

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M_bCvDBNnk

Has anyone seen anything similar on the market?

Thanks!
Ed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a VERY creative method for skipping down an extremely well worn path: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/657716_Installing_LPK__What_Punch_Set_Do_I_Need_.html&page=1

It's a potential solution for those who can't get it done with punches or taped off pliers. Never seen one before, but I would suggest anyone attempting to duplicate your effort use one of the thinner automatic center punches in order to; A) Get a straighter shot at the roll-pin hole while  B) further avoiding the possibility of buggering up the side of the receiver.

Good first effort!
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Not bad at all.  That's the first time I've seen this method.  Nice Job.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice work!  I think that's a smart idea!
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
All I ever needed was my wife's hands, a pair of needle nose pliers and 1/8" punch.

Haven't scratched a lower yet. And it takes me about 10 seconds to do.

Innovative thinking though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a piece of cardboard and cut a hole in it large enough for the bolt latch retaining pin studs to go through.  It protects the lower receiver from idiot scratches when I drive the pin. Then I use a straightened paper clip and push through the holes of the latch studs and then slide it through the center of the retaining pin.  The paperclip not only holds the latch in place, it also guides the retaining pin into the holes. It has never been an issue.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
That's slick.  It seems to make it work smoothly for you, and without "5 hands" to get it done.  Nice work.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
In action

Part 1

Part 2
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
A couple of years ago I saw where somebody said they used one.  They did the bare minimum to the tip.  I started modding on with a longer pin to better align but have since started drilling an tapping all of them.  Seems silly as I think only one out of a dozen or more I've ever removed after initial install.  

Good reminder though, I should dig out that punch and finish modding, not even sure where I left off.

ETA:  I modify nearly everything but I like modding tools most of all.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you everyone for the kind and encouraging words!

Never done anything on any forums before but I feel like this is going to be a great place to hang out...

Ed..
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice job with the automatic center punch for starting the pin, I do this but once started I put the lower and pin between a small vice jaws and crank it in, takes a minute or so. same with the trigger guard pin, goes in clean and straight.
Welcome to the BRD club.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty slick! Just one question, how many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop, I mean how many clicks does it take to get that little fucker in with the punch?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I'll be honest it takes quite a few licks!  But me being a beginner, and a bit clumsy, I like to take my time so I don't mess anything up...
For anyone out there that have a ton of experience and experts I'm sure it is not needed.  But for less than $5 it doesn't hurt to have on the bench.
And I had fun seeing if I could make it cheap and with basic tools.

Ed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I'll be honest it takes quite a few licks!  But me being a beginner, and a bit clumsy, I like to take my time so I don't mess anything up...
For anyone out there that have a ton of experience and experts I'm sure it is not needed.  But for less than $5 it doesn't hurt to have on the bench.
And I had fun seeing if I could make it cheap and with basic tools.

Ed.
View Quote

Kinda like screwdrivers, who has just one #2 Phillips.  Its always nice to have multiple different tools that can perform the same tasks because sometimes things are just a bit finicky.

Case in point.  Buddy wanted to change out a 9mm build and put on a Hogue tube and was having a bit of trouble.  I have a clamshell block but wont work with the 9mm deflector, I also have the reaction rod and wont work with the 9mm barrel.  Ended up using a homemade set of blocks with relief cuts for the lugs and the rail and opened up the side of the upper block to clear the 9mm deflector.  I could have pulled the deflector and door and used the clamshell but its a pain to put them back in backwards and the homemade blocks worked just fine.

The more tools the better!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Slow and careful is a good way to go when learning a new task, you're doing just fine, it's your rifle and there is no rush to get it done like you would see at the various gun shows with some shops building a custom setup for you on the spot, naturally they mostly have all the experience and the correct tools to do one pretty quick. I have more tools than I need, and am always finding another way to do a needed task. I have a 20 ton shop press for example, don't use it very often but when needed it's the shit. Enjoy. I build allot of other larger things that need the bigger tools, so building or machining the little black machines is a fun task. Look to my other various posts to see some of my metal projects.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Made an upgrade to my Automatic Roll Pin Punch...

The New and Improved version of my Automatic Roll Pin Punch Mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ksiy1zjZKQ

I think I am just going to use this one as a roll pin starter punch and not drive the pin all the way in with it.

A lot of people have recommended Brownelles roll pin holders and a punch that is cut away just for the bolt catch pin, nut I have never see the roll pin holder in person.
Can anyone tell me if it just has a hole in the end of it or if it has a magnet on the end or something different to hold the pin?

Also does anyone know if there are any other manufacturers of these holders and cut away punch besides Brownelles?

Thanks!
Ed
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Made an upgrade to my Automatic Roll Pin Punch...

The New and Improved version of my Automatic Roll Pin Punch Mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ksiy1zjZKQ

I think I am just going to use this one as a roll pin starter punch and not drive the pin all the way in with it.

A lot of people have recommended Brownelles roll pin holders and a punch that is cut away just for the bolt catch pin, nut I have never see the roll pin holder in person.
Can anyone tell me if it just has a hole in the end of it or if it has a magnet on the end or something different to hold the pin?

Also does anyone know if there are any other manufacturers of these holders and cut away punch besides Brownelles?

Thanks!
Ed
View Quote
Like most roll pin starters, it has a hole of the correct diameter to hold the bolt catch pin.  It's also cut away on one side to clear the lower receiver - I would still cover the receiver, just to be safe, but it's less at risk.  I got my bolt catch roll pin starter from another source, but darned if I can find their name, let alone their web site to point out.  They also made a pivot pin detent installation tool that's really close to the GI "locally fabricated" tool in the TM, but they made it for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#18]
You sir are a genius.  I hate installing those stupid roll pins for the mag release.  Next AR I put together Ill be making myself a couple of these!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I use this method as well.

I've been making punch bits out of banged up brass punches. It's real easy to do with Bolt cutters, a Drill, some files, and wet stone.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am a beginner with the AR15 and just thought I would share an idea I came up with to help me with the bolt catch roll pin...
I have not seen anything like this on the market so I made my own tool...
I think it's handy, maybe someone else will too.

Link to video of me using it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fYCEzg0jno

Link to me modifying the tool:
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owHk55KMLB4

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M_bCvDBNnk

Has anyone seen anything similar on the market?

Thanks!
Ed.
View Quote

Pretty cool idea, I like it. Your video made me chuckle though, like one of those TV commercials where they make a simple thing sound 100 times more complicated than it is so you have to buy their magicl brownie pan or pasta pot with built in strainer, or pressure washer :)

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#21]
LOL!   You're right, I probably do make it seem more complicated than it really is...
But if you notice in my video I didn't mention one time about my "3 easy payment plan" or
"Buy one get the second one free - just pay separate shipping and handling of $29.95"
Because the idea is FREE!  I just like to tinker and keep my brain thinking outside the box...  
Plus I a penny pincher.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top