Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2014 12:37:52 AM EDT
I have been on this site for a while, but this is my first thread. I have pretty decent knowledge of the issued M4A1, and AR15 rifles/carbines platforms. I have owned one AR in the past, aside from my previously issued carbine.

Lower receiver:
Essential Arms J-15-F "Molon Labe" Got it from a local shop for $125+tax. Pretty good deal.

LPK is a Spike's Tactical. Nothing fancy. Included A2 grip, but I replaced with a Magpul.

PSA 6-position stock kit and a Blackhawk ambidextrous sling adapter that a buddy told me about. Installs without having to remove your buffer tube. Figured I would give it a shot.
(Excuse my hairy legs)

Spike's Tactical upper. $99 with military discount and free shipping. What's not to love? Fit and finish are perfect against my EA lower.

I have been going slowly with my AR build; getting the parts I want, and not settling. I plan to add a carbine-length gas system on a 16" barrel, with YHM specter-length Diamond Series free float handguard. Other accessories aren't really set in stone just yet. So far, I am very pleased with it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#1]
lookin good!
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:00:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Take your stock off, put it away, and don't put it back on 'til after you've posted pics of your new pistol build in the pistol pic thread.  Build a pistol FIRST, even if it's a 24" bbl pistol, THEN put the stock on & make it a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:31:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take your stock off, put it away, and don't put it back on 'til after you've posted pics of your new pistol build in the pistol pic thread.  Build a pistol FIRST, even if it's a 24" bbl pistol, THEN put the stock on & make it a rifle.
View Quote

Perhaps after I finish this rifle I'll look more into an AR pistol build. However, to be honest, I don't really dig AR pistols. I would rather just use my Smith and Wesson pistol lol
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:34:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
lookin good!
View Quote

Thank you! I'm certainly trying. I would probably be done by now if I just wanted to slap a mediocre rifle together.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:05:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Perhaps after I finish this rifle I'll look more into an AR pistol build. However, to be honest, I don't really dig AR pistols. I would rather just use my Smith and Wesson pistol lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's getting after the legality of being able to return a pistol to pistol config, but not being able to turn a rifle to a pistol config.

If you build it legally as a pistol first, you can then build it into a rifle, and then back into a pistol at a later date (if you so chose).

If you build it legally as a rifle first, you can never from that point on build it back into a pistol at a later date with that lower.  

It's an arbitrary law that doesn't make any sense, and is essentially impossible to enforce... unless you post pictures on the internet and someone was really out to get you in a bad way.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He's getting after the legality of being able to return a pistol to pistol config, but not being able to turn a rifle to a pistol config.

If you build it legally as a pistol first, you can then build it into a rifle, and then back into a pistol at a later date (if you so chose).
If you build it legally as a rifle first, you can never from that point on build it back into a pistol at a later date with that lower.  

It's an arbitrary law that doesn't make any sense, and is essentially impossible to enforce... unless you post pictures on the internet and someone was really out to get you in a bad way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I see. Thanks backbencher for the heads up, and thanks HingleMcCringleberry for clarifying that. I can appreciate someone taking such measures because they like having the options, but I'm going to keep this one as a rifle. Perhaps at a later date a pistol build might interest me.
Hopefully the only enemies I have are across the ocean, and I doubt they care if I have a stock or not. ;D

You guys know how it is; once you get the bug, one rifle turns into five rifles(or pistols).
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh, I see. Thanks backbencher for the heads up, and thanks HingleMcCringleberry for clarifying that. I can appreciate someone taking such measures because they like having the options, but I'm going to keep this one as a rifle. Perhaps at a later date a pistol build might interest me.
Hopefully the only enemies I have are across the ocean, and I doubt they care if I have a stock or not. ;D

You guys know how it is; once you get the bug, one rifle turns into five rifles(or pistols).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either way all you have to do to make it a pistol first is assemble it with the stock off, then just add the stock last and it's good to go, you never know in the future what you may decide to do. And it is so simple to do it would be almost stupid not to do it that way.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#8]
My first build was a 16inch carbine with yhm spector length rail... sold it. Rail was too heavy, and I only have midlength gas systems now.  Save money for bcm kmr rail, it's my favorite so far :)
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My first build was a 16inch carbine with yhm spector length rail... sold it. Rail was too heavy, and I only have midlength gas systems now.  Save money for bcm kmr rail, it's my favorite so far :)
View Quote

I honestly just can't justify spending $300 on a handguard. More power to those who can afford BCM stuff, but I certainly cannot. Except for the BCM Ambi charging handle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
EDIT:
So it's been a little over a week, and I just got my BCM Ambi Gunfighter in. I really wanted the Raptor, but it was a little out of my price range.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m316/tenseconds/AR15%20Build/IMG_20141018_173148.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m316/tenseconds/AR15%20Build/786566d8-96ff-409f-916b-3b01b3884e4a.jpg

Now, I am left handed, and have been shooting the M4/AR15 platform for about four years now and this is my first ambidextrous charging handle. Up until now, I have always used my right hand and crossed over the top to charge. This may take some getting used to, though I feel that it will be slightly more comfortable (and it looks high speed ;D).
My only concern is that the right side latch release wont be as nice and fluid as the standard side release, since the right side has to activate the standard side, thus releasing the latch. I don't have a BCG yet, so I have been pulling the handle back very easily, and not getting a real feel for it.

Hopefully next week I can order a BCG and be done with the upper internals.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#11]
b:  Here are a few suggestions, FWIW.  Skip the carbine gas, instead a lightweight 16" barrel with middy gas is a better choice for smoother functioning.  A 12 or 13" freefloat handguard is a good match for the LW barrel, SLR and BCM make the best, IMO. good luck - CW
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top