Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 10:18:04 PM EDT
A buddy of mine just built his first AR and it happened to be an AR-10 type in 260 Rem.  All high quality parts and such but he has had a heck of a time getting it to cycle and the bolt won't lock back after the last round.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  He tried to check the gas system by using compressed air to see if he got anything to the bcg from the barrel. Seemed to work. His load is a hot load with 130 gr pill he uses in his bolt gun.  The one thing that isn't store bought is the lower, made from an 80 percent block of aluminum.  Any thoughts, tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Indy
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Crickets.... Hello McFly. Anybody?

Bump for Friday night.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
gas port too small?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
308 builds can be ficincky at least when compared to 5.56 builds. There could be a number of things, but it sounds like it is under gassed. The cheapest option would be to try an adjustable gas block before opening the gas port up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine just built his first AR and it happened to be an AR-10 type in 260 Rem.  All high quality parts and such but he has had a heck of a time getting it to cycle and the bolt won't lock back after the last round.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  He tried to check the gas system by using compressed air to see if he got anything to the bcg from the barrel. Seemed to work. His load is a hot load with 130 gr pill he uses in his bolt gun.  The one thing that isn't store bought is the lower, made from an 80 percent block of aluminum.  Any thoughts, tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Indy
View Quote

If these are bolt gun loads he could be using powders that are to fast for a gas gun. Try a few factory loads.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I need way more info.

Type of BCG
Type of buffer and spring
Barrel length
Gas system length
Type and amount of powder

Over pressure can mimic under gassed malfunctions.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I need way more info.

Type of BCG
Barrel length
Gas system length

View Quote

Here are his specs:

DPMS 20"  barrel 260
DPMS Chrome bolt carrier Assy
Syrac adj. gas block / rifle length tube
DPMS buffer tube a1/a2
DPMS 308 rifle Buffer
DPMS 308 rifle spring

Load 43.5gr H4350 with 130 gr berger Hunting VLD
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Here are his specs:

DPMS 20"  barrel 260
DPMS buffer tube a1/a2
DPMS 308 rifle Buffer
DPMS 308 rifle spring

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need way more info.

Type of BCG
Barrel length
Gas system length

Here are his specs:

DPMS 20"  barrel 260
DPMS buffer tube a1/a2
DPMS 308 rifle Buffer
DPMS 308 rifle spring

The chamber may need to be polished. Are there any pics of the brass?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
so the gas block is wide open and there is still issues?

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm assuming the gas block is open already. Check to make sure the gas block is centered over the gas port. If the block is partially blocking the gas port it will restrict gas flow.

Check the gas rings to ensure they are in place and arent dragging inside the carrier.

Check the carrier key to make sure it isn't loose or has broken screws.

Check the gas tube to make sure it has the lip near the end that seals it inside the carrier key.

If none of that helps then you might try a different powder, different powders have different pressure curves snd it's possible the load being used just won't work in an auto.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Troubleshoot it like any other rifle, start at the start and move down the list.
the fact that  it's a non standard caliber on a less than 100% lower may not be a problem.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Here are his specs:

DPMS 20"  barrel 260
DPMS buffer tube a1/a2
DPMS 308 rifle Buffer
DPMS 308 rifle spring

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need way more info.

Type of BCG
Barrel length
Gas system length

Here are his specs:

DPMS 20"  barrel 260
DPMS buffer tube a1/a2
DPMS 308 rifle Buffer
DPMS 308 rifle spring

I have not run any 260’s, but H4350 sounds really slow burning for a 20” barrel gas operated weapon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have not run any 260’s, but H4350 sounds really slow burning for a 20” barrel gas operated weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need way more info.

Type of BCG
Barrel length
Gas system length

Here are his specs:

DPMS 20"  barrel 260
DPMS buffer tube a1/a2
DPMS 308 rifle Buffer
DPMS 308 rifle spring

It's not. In fact it's kind of fast for a 6.5.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys for the help. He is going over the replies and trying to figure it out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Update:  well he took a few things apart and the gas rings were ok, staggered etc. took off the gas block and measured the port in the barrel, it comes in at 0.075 inches.  From what he read online it should be around 0.090"... Is that correct guys?  If it needs to be opened up he can do that where he works (machine shop).  Any advice for doing this gas port modification?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Update:  well he took a few things apart and the gas rings were ok, staggered etc. took off the gas block and measured the port in the barrel, it comes in at 0.075 inches.  From what he read online it should be around 0.090"... Is that correct guys?  If it needs to be opened up he can do that where he works (machine shop).  Any advice for doing this gas port modification?

Thanks guys.
View Quote

DO NOT GO IMMEDIATELY TO .090"!

Step it up. The last 6.5 barrel I made worked perfect at .075" and that was 2" past normal rifle port location.

If you've polished the chamber, and checked absolutely everything else, then go ahead and open the port.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:41:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Step it up. The last 6.5 barrel I made worked perfect at .075" and that was 2" past normal rifle port location.

If you've polished the chamber, and checked absolutely everything else, then go ahead and open the port.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

Why not if he has an adjustable gas block? Fuck taking the thing apart a half dozen time to drill tiny bits out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:01:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why not if he has an adjustable gas block? Fuck taking the thing apart a half dozen time to drill tiny bits out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

Yeah you're right, just drill it to .150 and drive on. What the hell do I know.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Jk, don't do that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

In all fairness he did state .090". This doesn't sound out of the realm coupled with an adjustable block.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I always start with the magazine. I have 2, .260's and 3, .308's

I had a ton of problems that were ALL solved with Magpul magazines.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

Update:  he took the upper partially apart and set it up on a drill press i. The shop where he works and drilled out the port yesterday. It was .075 and he went right to .150!  Just kidding, he stopped at .085.  Just fired two rounds from two different magpul mags and they worked fine. Action cycled, brass ejected, all is good. Now to work up a load that is accurate in that rifle.
Thanks guys!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top