Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2014 7:32:49 AM EDT
Hi

I have had a lot of experience with pistols and I would like to move on to an AR-15. I had a very short experience with one a few years ago. Anyway, I'm intrigued by the idea of building my own. I like building things myself with the satisfaction that it was done right and learning from the experience. That said, I also want to save money going this route. I'm interested in building the most basic version, nothing special on it. Just a simple carry handle iron sight is perfect to me. I've watched a ton of videos on the assembly procedure and it doesn't look too hard. The lower receiver looks simple. The upper looks like it could be a little more complicated...are there any specific tools needed for that? Does it come out cheaper assembling your own upper or is it just as cost effective to buy one complete?

So far I think I know what all the parts I need are, I'm not too sure on what incompatibilities there may be or what brands might be junk and what brands are good. Anyone want to help me out to point me in the right direction?

I'm perfectly fine building parts here and there when they are on sale, especially with black Friday coming up I assume there might be sales?

Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The lower is harder to assemble than the upper.  That being said, it should only take you an hour or so the 1st time you put one together.  The hard part for 1st time assemblers is figuring out where all the pins go.  Get a set of roll pin starter punched and roll pin punches.  Those will make it go a lot faster.  Brownells makes a roll pin punch for the bolt release paddle, ti has a flat side to it for going along the lower receiver and is worth the money especially if you ar like most of us and can't just stop at 1.  PM me and I will let you know if I can get you any parts.  I am an FFL dealer in IL. and I can sometimes get parts for less.  Sometimes not. I have stripped lowers in stock right now for $56 shipped to your FFL.  They are Anderson Manufacturing NIP.  Lemme know if you are interested.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the reply. After doing some more research, it seems like the best option for me is to buy a complete upper, sans the BCG and charging handle. It seems like I can avoid buying specialized tools by doing this. Unless I'm just not looking in the right places, the parts by themselves seem to add up to a complete upper anyway I have been checking Slickguns.com for specific deals on these parts, but I'm still not entirely sure what to look for. From what I have seen so far, I believe what I want is a

-16" barrel 1:7 twist
-Chrome lined
-Attached front sight
-Removable carry handle (in case I ever want to add a red dot or a similar sight)

Seems simple and basic enough, but the prices seem to vary so much...

And thank you for the offer on the lower, but it seems it is just as much (or as little?) elsewhere. It's currently the same price at $40+$16 shipping at aimsurplus.com. And then of course the FFL fee, which around around is no less than $25. Is that as cheap as lowers tend to get?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Can anyone comment on this?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/15117/s/ptac-16-m4-1-7-upper-with-bolt-carrier-group-and-charging-handle/

Is that a good deal at $289+$17 shipping? Only thing it is missing from my list is the chrome lined barrel but reviews on slickguns don't seem to think it's a deal killer at this price.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can anyone comment on this?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/15117/s/ptac-16-m4-1-7-upper-with-bolt-carrier-group-and-charging-handle/

Is that a good deal at $289+$17 shipping? Only thing it is missing from my list is the chrome lined barrel but reviews on slickguns don't seem to think it's a deal killer at this price.
View Quote

I'd pass but that's me. If funds are tight, go for it. Personally, I'd go with a 16" middy. Something like this.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:09:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice. Though what you suggested is way more than I want to spend on an upper (comes out to over $500 when you include the CH and BCG like what I posted), it did teach me about the difference between the carbine length and mid length gas system/handguard when I did some more reading up on it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#7]
PSA makes good stuff, but most will tell you to stay away from the PTAC line and go with there premium uppers...try this one out

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/12802/category/4220/

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not crazy about the carbine length, I'd prefer a mid length. What kind of blemishes do those usually have? Light scratches?

Also, I found a deal on an Anderson lower for $45 with free shipping, so I think I might go for it and get this process started.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#9]
First off, Welcome aboard. Secondly, I would strongly suggest staying away from the Ptac line at PSA. Way to many bad stories about them. Their PSA line is fine for what your wanting. PSA's blem's are fine, Maybe a mismatched color inside the magwell or very minor scratch. Nothing but cosmetic issues to be honest that I have heard of.  Look around for a lower with a roll mark that you like. A forged lower is a forged lower. Stay away from Polymer though. Personally I do not like the Anderson lowers because of the Denver Broncos horse head logo. JMO. But find one to your liking at the price that your willing to pay and you will be GTG.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the welcome! I actually like the horse head. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on that Anderson lower, pun slightly intended. Too bad the FFL fee is $25 around here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm not crazy about the carbine length, I'd prefer a mid length. What kind of blemishes do those usually have? Light scratches?

Also, I found a deal on an Anderson lower for $45 with free shipping, so I think I might go for it and get this process started.
View Quote

Why mid length?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll preface this by saying I'm not set on a mid length. However, according to what I have read on here, mid length is what you want with a 16 inch barrel for softer recoil and less wear. Also, I think the mid length hand guard looks better than the shorter carbine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#13]
5.56 has zero recoil lol....but the PSA blems are not really blems at all...for instance here is a "blem" lower receiver from them....nothing wrong with it at all.

upper to check out

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa/5-56-nato-223/psa-16-chf-mid-length-premium-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

CHF Fn barrel and the mid length system
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:04:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting about their "blemished" parts. Haha. And furthermore on the Carbine vs Mid debate, I'm sure most of you know this but I found this interesting when I was reading up on the subject:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/ask-foghorn-gas-system-length-ar-15/

That upper you posted looks perfect! It's got the 1:7 twist, chrome lined, mid gas system. I notice it says machine gun barrel though...does that mean it weighs more than a typical barrel, or it's just hardened a bit more? Have any idea what the price typically is since it is out of stock right now and doesn't show it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
it was like 259 or 279 i think when i posted it? sp fogure another 100 for the BCG ch...so 359 for a complete upper.  They also do free shipping on uppers like once a week so wait for a good deal lol.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#16]
That doesn't sound like a bad price at all. Is that a sale price or normal?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes it's PSA lol...just go to PSA a couple times a week(at the beginning and then towards the end of the week) and pick out your upper...just stay with the premium stuff and if you can get the CHF barrell.

beware they are SLOWWWW...expect to wait a couple weeks for your upper, it is worth the wait though for sure.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:45:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I picked up my lower today from my FFL (KY Gun Co. has really fast shipping, and insured the package even though I declined). There are a few tiny blemishes that I'm not too worried about. The one by the pivot pin hole looks way worse in the photo than it does in person. I contacted them and voiced my concern, but I don't expect anything.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I really like the Anderson Lowers, they are good to go.  I have several builds that I did with them and I am very pleased.  Looks good, magazines drop freely, locked up tight with the upper.  Also a quick tip when installing the roll pin for the bolt catch release.  I tape off the area really good, oil the pin, and use a pliers and squeeze it in.  Super simple.  

Take the time to get the gun you really want, as opposed to settling for whatever comes along.  You will be much more satisfied.  In addition, you have Black Friday right around the corner, you can always expect some great deals there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the tip on the bolt catch pin. I'll remember that.

I've still been waiting for the right deal. I've been watching that one 16" Mid CHF upper that PSA has but it hasn't budged from $319. I just saw a deal pop up a little while ago on a similar upper for $250:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-mid-length-premium-stripped-upper-no-bcg-ch.html

Is the only difference that it doesn't have a CHF barrel (and consequently not one made by FN since it doesn't mention it)?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Think all psa uppers are made by FN . Except the PTac ones
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:02:01 AM EDT
[#22]
That upper you have listed at $250 says made by FN.  Usually PSA seems to describe uppers as PREMIUM if they are made by FN.  They sell some uppers with chrome lined barrels that have no maker listed, for what its worth have heard the barrels on these are made by Wilson but don't know for sure.  Have a couple PSA uppers with FN barrels and have been very happy with them.  As others have said try to catch the free shipping if you can, but always the risk they won't have what you want when it happens.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt100.htm  this is a whole kit. you wont need anything else except mags.  Check the deal of the day everyday, it comes up on there for $425 once a week, at random.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#24]
J1230, PSA has free shipping over $100 now, good time to order that upper.  For those looking for it, the link above works, but on PSA drop down menu it doesn't show for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I use most of PSA build kits and blemished uppers on 80% lowers I mill. I use only Del-Ton barrels. Very accurate (10 rounds in 2" circle at 100 yards) been very happy. Can't beat Del-Ton. Will try a Rifle Kit from them for my daughters Christmas Present
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tip on the bolt catch pin. I'll remember that.

I've still been waiting for the right deal. I've been watching that one 16" Mid CHF upper that PSA has but it hasn't budged from $319. I just saw a deal pop up a little while ago on a similar upper for $250:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-mid-length-premium-stripped-upper-no-bcg-ch.html

Is the only difference that it doesn't have a CHF barrel (and consequently not one made by FN since it doesn't mention it)?
View Quote

I ordered that upper myself today.  I called and they told me the barrel is a premium barrel just the ones listed as such.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for calling and checking on it.  Not as nervous now about what's going to show up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I decided to wait it out and see if the CHF version will drop back down in price. I'm in no rush anyway. I wish there was a website like camelcamelcamel for PSA. lol. I never know if their reduced price is really a sale or not being so new to ARs.

Can anyone fill me in on magazines? From what I've read, PMAGs seem to be really well liked, but whenever I search for them they seem to have so many different versions and various generations. Also, who makes a decent metal magazine? I'd like to get one of those too.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top