Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2014 1:15:09 PM EDT
I am trying to remove an old barrel from an upper receiver.  Several teeth on the barrel nut are buggered making it difficult to get a wrench to stay on.  How do I remove the nut with the least chance of damaging the receiver?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If the barrel nut is toast I would use a pipe wrench with either a proper upper (clamshell) vise or barrel vise. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with the above comment about a pipe wrench! You can also heat the barrel nut up a little bit with a small propane torch
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree with the above comment about a pipe wrench! You can also heat the barrel nut up a little bit with a small propane torch
View Quote
Be very careful attempting something like this in an aluminum to steel interface.  They are gonna absorb heat at different rates.  You could very easily mess up the temper on your receiver.

I would put some Kroil on the threads and let it sit for a day or two and go back at it.  Try to free up anything in there sticking it together beside torque.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Rodger that.  Sounds like the front sight base will need to come off to replace the barrel nut.  I guess the pins are the next challenge.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes you will have to remove the front sight block I don't remember exactly which way the pins go out but they go in one way to come out the opposite way
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless it's something atypical you will remove the pins by driving them out from the left (small diameter) side.  
But some or all Rock Rivers use straight pins instead of taper I have read.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Pipe wrench for the win.  I know from experience that it will work!

Most ARs with pinned FSBs use taper pins that go in right-to-left, so you have to tap them out left-to-right (and by "tap" I mean "really hammer them" to start).  Read BCM's well written instructions for removing their taper pins here.  BEFORE you start, make SURE that your FSB has taper pins and not dowel pins (like RRA's have), or that yours doesn't have taper pins in backward (like some makers do).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top