Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2014 5:23:14 PM EDT
This is a quick interim project while the PDR is lagging.  The PDR will be done at some point so don't worry

It has begun:
Gas operated, forward charging, dual recoil springs under the top rail, tool-less takedown.
Might switch to a left side folder if it gives me ejection trouble when folded.

Shortened bolt:

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it. A lot.

I would think that switching to a stock that folds to the left would cause problems with gripping and pulling the charging handle. If the current stock gives you ejection problems, you might want to try a stock that is shaped more like an AK wire folding stock.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#2]

DAMN, I Love It !!!

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I want one. NOW
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
well that's interesting
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok take my money....
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#7]
We need pics of said dual spring buffer system and pics of operating rod
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Another thread to keep everyone on the edge of their seats eh?
I'm in!
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:43:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We need pics of said dual spring buffer system and pics of operating rod
View Quote

Upper and riser rail are clearanced for the spring and charging handle.  Gas key slips into the charging handle block and a latch drops in to engage the key, locking it into the charging handle.
The latch can only be opened when the upper is tipped off the lower and the bolt is retracted past it's normal limit, because a notch in the spring guide rods allows the latch to come up out of the gas key.
I'll be limiting the normal bolt stroke to 2.9-3" to allow for some more compact springs.  The springs are from a AR180B and are readily available.  I originally planned on using a system more similar to my other bufferless uppers but the short gas system complicates things.

Gas tube/guide rod is part of the gas block.  Will probably make it one piece (welded), but I could sleeve it with a replaceable gas tube insert if I felt the need.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Carrier and key base are done, 4.5" barrel is done, might re-make it a 1/2" longer later. ID barrel nut is done, OD barrel nut/handguard mount is roughed out and threaded.
Sights and rail are modded, still need to build up the front post a little bit.
Might post some pics here in a little bit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Carrier and key base are done, 4.5" barrel is done, might re-make it a 1/2" longer later. ID barrel nut is done, OD barrel nut/handguard mount is roughed out and threaded.
View Quote

Please do
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please do
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please do

+1

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please do

+1

Hell yes

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Bolt and tube for gas key.

2 piece barrel nut / handguard mount roughed out

Under 14" folded

Oval tubing for the handguard
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn that's cool.  I envy your abilities.  I think about stuff like this at work, but don't have the know-how to iron out some of the details.

Please keep this updated.  I love your build threads.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Very interesting. This is something I have had on my project list for a wile now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Must have one!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Barrel nut(s) is pretty much done, just going to lighten it and tap it for the handguard screws
Handguard is about half done, it will also be lightened a bit.
Felt a little artsy last night and cranked out a funky muzzle device, I'll post pics later.
Still trying to decide if I want to just crank out another slightly longer barrel from my leftovers.

Once I get all of my parts to be welded or blasted done i'll probably just come into work one saturday morning and finish that up.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Awesome thread, you are very skilled.
You can haz my moneys!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow! IN!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Man, hopefully these work reliably.....it'd be cheaper than an HK UMP clone!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#22]
RDTCU, are you an engineer for Sig? Your design looks very similar to the upper on a MPX. Very nice what you have going on here.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#23]
What are you using as a rear travel stop?  I take it it is relieved for the firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
RDTCU, are you an engineer for Sig? Your design looks very similar to the upper on a MPX. Very nice what you have going on here.
View Quote

Haha no, just a tinkerer.  I don't get to let the creative juices flow very often at work, so I come home and play in the shop.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What are you using as a rear travel stop?  I take it it is relieved for the firing pin.
View Quote

The receiver plug that the stock bolts to is a cup with a captive thick O-ring and delrin plug to absorb the impact of the carrier.
Then there's a 1" thick delrin spacer that slides in the upper, shortening the bolt travel to allow the spring assembly to be shorter, and it will also plug off the original charging handle slot.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Few more pics:

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:36:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I keep going back over this thread but don't see anywhere to place my order...

Looks awesome man. Can't wait to see more.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I keep going back over this thread but don't see anywhere to place my order...

Looks awesome man. Can't wait to see more.
View Quote

seriously, your threads cause tent cities and wallet emptying
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:51:02 AM EDT
[#29]
You should Form 1 the handguard and turn it into a suppressor similar to what Manticore did with the 9mm AUG.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You should Form 1 the handguard and turn it into a suppressor similar to what Manticore did with the 9mm AUG.
View Quote

I've got plans for a possible QD suppressor down the line, but I was shooting for the most compact package with this thing.
It would be interesting to try to make baffles for the oval handguard without a CNC or some out of the box thinking

A lot of this stuff would be easier if I would just bite the bullet and pick up a small rotary table for the mill...
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I keep telling you to come for a visit...I'll loan ya a rotary table.,...LOL....and give me a shout if you need a chunck of 45 barrel...pretty sure I can dig one up....

Quoted:

I've got plans for a possible QD suppressor down the line, but I was shooting for the most compact package with this thing.
It would be interesting to try to make baffles for the oval handguard without a CNC or some out of the box thinking

A lot of this stuff would be easier if I would just bite the bullet and pick up a small rotary table for the mill...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I keep telling you to come for a visit...I'll loan ya a rotary table.,...LOL....and give me a shout if you need a chunck of 45 barrel...pretty sure I can dig one up....
View Quote

Haha thanks, I really do need to make a trip, i didn't even make it down to Atlanta for Petit this year for the first time in forever...
I've got a ~5.5" chunk of leftover blank, and then my whole 16" barrel from the original upper that I'm sure I'll never use, about 7" of that would be useable if I started over on the chamber/port.

BTW finally found a girl that is supportive of my hobbies, taking her to her first gun show tomorrow, she has been occupying a good bit of my time lately
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top