Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2014 12:54:03 AM EDT
I'm not able to come up with a reasonable decision on which route to go. My little guys are interested in shooting now and I'd like to start them on the 22lr AR platform but i'm hesitant about the polymer uppers and lowers. My question is should I build one instead of buying a polymer AR? I'm thinking about buying a mid-range lower and find a 22lr upper to put on it or buy another AR and get the 22lr conversion kit. I'd like for them to eventually move up to 556 but for the sake of ammo costs, it's easier to start them out on 22lr and let them learn and plink that way. Any advice would be appreciated, or if you know of a similar thread please point me in that direction, thank you.

Just an FYI, I didn't just sign up, I had issues with my old email address and had to create a new profile.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:13:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I would do some snooping around in the rimfire forum. Have you looked at the S&W MP 15-22? I have seen them on sale on various sites for less than $500
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:15:13 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:40:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree on m&p15-22. PSA just had it on sale for 299
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:57:14 AM EDT
[#4]
How old are the kids? The 15-22 is a really light firearm so it might be better/easier for a young child to hold up for long periods of time without getting tired. I've had one for a few years and I shoot it a lot due to the less expensive ammo cost. It's a fun gun that you can use as well to train. I have my 15-22 configured almost exactly as one of my ARs.

There is a guy on NJGunForums.com selling one for $270 shipped slightly used.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#5]
May want to consider buying or building a lightweight pistol and add the Sig brace and just run a  conversion kit.  My kids at the Age of six had no issue with it and I had a small red dot on top.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#6]
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/rifles/smith-wesson-15-22-a1-style-w-flash-hider-and-collapsible-stock-811033.html

349 right now.
you can't really build a dedicated 22 cheaper than that right now. even with dirt cheap lowers, the uppers run about that much.

even getting a complete upper and lower with insert for 22, you are still going to be over 600 when you are done.

that being said, I prefer the flexablilty of having a 22 upper on a regular lower. so I can swap out later if I need an extra 223 gun for whatever reason.
but if I wanted a 2nd 22, I would probably go with the complete one listed above.

if you have time, just wait a bit, (assuming no crisis happens with guns,) and they will probably drop that 50 bucks again for the holidays.

if you don't care about it being an ar, GSG522 are under 300, and of course the stand by 10/22 can always be had for less than that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice, sounds like the 15 22 is the way to go, my older boys are 8 & 9, I've let them hold my AR and it's a tad on the heavy side for them so the lighter polymer setup may be the better option.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a "Chiappa" .22lr upper for my AR.  Never really heard of that brand before but I got the complete upper and two mags for $275 which I thought was a decent price for a complete upper that runs on a normal AR lower.  At first I didn't think it would have enough power to cycle with an AR mil-spec trigger but it did just fine!  It does have a poly upper, but that can be upgraded if there's ever any issues with it.  It also has a fake flash hider and fake gas block.  All in all its a good shooter for the price....I would post a few picts but its currently torn apart getting the barrel chopped and threaded...

ETA also, some of the .22 AR's out there are not mil-spec which makes it harder to modify it if you want to.  If you find a dedicated upper that's mil-spec (minus the fake crap that came on it) its much easier to modify it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I would get a dedicated 22lr ar link the S&W
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top