Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2014 5:33:49 PM EDT
only needing to build some plain uppers with standard barrel nuts, if i get into some fancy uppers/rails ill look into a reaction rod type device..but which brand clam shell works best for flat top and fixed carry handle uppers?  brownells? promag? wheeler? another brand?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have brownells and they are good quality but made for forged receivers.

It will work with and without carry handle
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
As posted, the Brownells is pretty good.

I mounted a LaRue hand guard, the clamshell didn't go back far enough for the barrel nut, now with judicious application of a dremel powered grinding bit it there's more than enough room.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Palmetto's worked fine for me.

Link
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
is the plastic insert like with the brownells and wheeler needed?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know if it's needed but I like having it, with my wheeler set. The pin also helps with indexing the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Any 1" od rod, dowell, socket, etc. will suffice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't know if it's needed but I like having it, with my wheeler set. The pin also helps with indexing the barrel nut.
View Quote

I use the wheeler set also and the Gas Tube Alignment Pin makes it easy to align the barrel nut.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/210021/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-upper-receiver-vise-block-clamp-ar-15?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I use the wheeler set also and the Gas Tube Alignment Pin makes it easy to align the barrel nut.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/210021/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-upper-receiver-vise-block-clamp-ar-15?cm_vc=ProductFinding

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. Nice, easy to use set up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]
This is the one I use that works great.

http://www.plastixrevolution.net/products/atp-deluxe-upper-lower-vise-block-cleaning-link-trigger-test-block
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Absolutely, you need support on the inside of the receiver.

Quoted:
http://www.plastixrevolution.net/products/atp-deluxe-upper-lower-vise-block-cleaning-link-trigger-test-block

I WOULD NOT use that type of block for barreling, ever.

This is why:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/627276_.html
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Ive been looking at clam shells.  What is driving me nuts is some say they work with x brand but not y brand.  I picked up a blem upper last black Friday, don't remember from who, and I am concerned about which clam shell to get.

OR

Should I just get a vise block set like the one from Block Worx that is also sold by Spikes?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm using ProMag set off amazon. Has the inside dowel and a lower mag vise block all in one set. Built 6 on it so far. Solid Kit, IMHO
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm using ProMag set off amazon. Has the inside dowel and a lower mag vise block all in one set. Built 6 on it so far. Solid Kit, IMHO
View Quote

that's the consensus, all of these clam shells are solid until someone breaks an upper.
just look over the past 2 months on build it yourself at the issues with clam shells.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

that's the consensus, all of these clam shells are solid until someone breaks an upper.
just look over the past 2 months on build it yourself at the issues with clam shells.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to one issue with a clam shell, when used correctly with a standard upper and with the interior support?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Use them correctly and that won't happen
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:24:53 AM EDT
[#17]
IMO, the DPMS "Claw" is a stable option verses a clam shell. Its what I use and have no complaints after three upper builds.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I use one of these as well, also from amazon.  I've cut the plastic in certain areas to get a 9mm sike's upper to fit.  

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I found a you tube video of a guy installing and torqing a barrel with the upper attached to the lower held in a vise with just a magwell block!  Amazing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link to one issue with a clam shell, when used correctly with a standard upper and with the interior support?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah all i have seen is the claw type blocks break an upper...and the reaction rod type have sheared a few index pins...ive NEVER seen a problem with clam shells..
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#21]
What about if you put a coating like robar on the upper. Will the clam shell mark it up?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
.............. yeah all i have seen is the claw type blocks break an upper...and the reaction rod type have sheared a few index pins...ive NEVER seen a problem with clam shells..
View Quote

These "discussions" are usually predictable, and generally go pretty much like this one. I have successfully used the Reaction Rod and clam shell for my builds and like them both.

I was very surprised to see top tier rifle builders like BCM and Noveske using the panther claw to torque barrel nuts. I guess they don't believe the claw to be detrimental. The BCM video shows a nut that doesn't need to be timed being torqued. Since they recommend 40-50 foot pounds, I guess they are not worried about stressing the receiver. I would like to see if they use the claw on standard barrel nuts which sometimes need more torque to line up for the gas tube.

BCM at 1:44

Noveske at 2:50

I like Windham Weaponry's solution.

WW at 3:54

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Windam looks like a verson of the reaction rod.  More solid mount because it is square on the end and it also looked larger to support against the inside of the reciever.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone use the spikes tactical from block worx?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the clamshell from Brownells and it mostly works although I had to modify it for a friends rifle when we install a larue float tube.   But was useless for my last billet build.

If I had to do it again, I would just get the reaction rod as you can use it for both barrel nuts and muzzle attachments.  Barrel blocks for muzzle attachments are a pain in the ass, they either slip or mark up the barrel.  Even if you can get to under the handguards, you still need to remove the gas tube.

Anyone try this reaction rod from gunthings.com?  No idea why the lower cost version from Brownell's doesnt have flats milled into it, yeah I could use 1/2" bar stock in the end, but just more crap floating around the garage.

AR15 Barreling and Upper Receiver Support Tool.  Steel, heavy duty for long term use.  Made in USA.  Put in vise and silde on receiver with barrel.  Holds assembly while tightening barrel nut or can be used to support the upper while installing flash hiders, etc.  $40.00

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have the clamshell from Brownells and it mostly works although I had to modify it for a friends rifle when we install a larue float tube.   But was useless for my last billet build.

If I had to do it again, I would just get the reaction rod as you can use it for both barrel nuts and muzzle attachments.  Barrel blocks for muzzle attachments are a pain in the ass, they either slip or mark up the barrel.  Even if you can get to under the handguards, you still need to remove the gas tube.

Anyone try this reaction rod from gunthings.com? No idea why the lower cost version from Brownell's doesnt have flats milled into it, yeah I could use 1/2" bar stock in the end, but just more crap floating around the garage.

AR15 Barreling and Upper Receiver Support Tool.  Steel, heavy duty for long term use.  Made in USA.  Put in vise and silde on receiver with barrel.  Holds assembly while tightening barrel nut or can be used to support the upper while installing flash hiders, etc.  $40.00
the lower cost
http://www.gunthings.com/AR15barreltool.jpg
View Quote

You answered your own question. Lower cost means less steps taken for finished product.
The clam shell i have, has been in use for 20+ years. Had to get a higher cost reaction rod, for the spouses Left Hand build.  It also comes in handy for quick on & off items.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had an "ebay special" for 3 years.  I've probably removed/torqued 5 barrels and completed 2 full builds with it.
works great.

everything comes down to the techniques and form you use, you dont have to use a top end vice block.
you just have to make sure you use it correctly.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top