Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2014 1:03:51 PM EDT
I have been wanting to build an AR-15 for a long time now, and just got my lower!
I was hoping you all could point me in the right direction from here.
Where is the best place to go to get a comprehensive and hopefully picture filled guide to building an AR?
Also, Is it worth buying the upper in parts or, as it's my first build, should I just get an already assembled one?

I'm currently just sitting in that no mans land of "ok what do I do now". I appreciate the your patience and your answers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I just thought of another question. Are all lowers created the same? Meaning will they all have the same pins and connectors for an upper and all the guts inside?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out you youtube.

Basically everything is industry standard on a lower so parts are interchangeable regardless of manufacturer. Many follow milspec so they are universal. Some items like the buffer tube can be milspec or commercial so they require they same buttstock. But both will fit a lower. Just go with a milspec buffer tube and milspec buffer tube and you will be fine

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
There is usually not much savings in building an upper because they  are easy to build and not much parts but you will need some tools that may be priced like barrel wrench 40.00 and a torque wrench. Also vise block and something to hold upper receiver or better yet a geissele reaction rod.

The advantage of building a upper is the knowledge u learn and picking and choosing your parts.

But plenty of great uppers to choose from that are about the same price to build usually without the tools.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess you tube really is where you can go to learn anything these days. I'll go look later on. Thanks! What are some of the more trustworthy companies to get part kits from? Bet you tube can tell me that too. Haha
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The sponsor ads here on ar15

Midway USA
Brownell
Rainier Arms
Primary arms
Joe Bob outfitters
Skd tactical
Red x arms
Doa arms
Aim surplus
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#6]
First thing you do is throw it down your driveway.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  First thing you do is throw it down your driveway.
View Quote

This isn't GD.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Play with this....   http://www.ar15builder.com/
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First thing you do is throw it down your driveway.
View Quote

I would never do that with any gun! Your nuts! Haha. I don't have the money to toss quality stuff!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#10]
NSZ85 has a series on youtube detailing assembly of a new AR...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Step 1 - Buy a membership at the AR15.com Online Store and help support the site that gave you all this great info.  (Red Box, upper right-hand corner)

Step 2 - Get your build on!  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT__TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.html
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok cool! Looks like I have everything I need to know on how to build it. Now I just have to decide what parts I want. Thanks for all the info and I'll go check out the store when I'm off work!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I would suggest a cmmg lpk for your first build. It comes with each small group of parts in different color coded packets, it makes it easy to install especially with a youtube video.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would suggest a cmmg lpk for your first build. It comes with each small group of parts in different color coded packets, it makes it easy to install especially with a youtube video.
View Quote

I'm seeing a lot of people complain about the quality of the cmmg lpk. About things not fitting or breaking. Just all around being lower quality.

Would a Daniel defense lpk be worth the $40 something extra?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Then there is palmetto state armory lpk for $219! Wow. Quality though I'm guessing
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Daniel defense is good quality.

Personally I'd get a JP lower parts kit without trigger and get a alg defense act trigger for same price as daniel defense lower parts kit. About the same price but with a much better trigger. About the best trigger for the money. Joe Bob outfitters sells both.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Then there is palmetto state armory lpk for $219! Wow. Quality though I'm guessing
View Quote

Pretty sure it has a 230.00 Geissele trigger with it. So basically the lpk is free.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Spike's LPK has been great on several of my builds.  Usually an extra detent spring and detent pin in the kit.  Just in case.

Would not hesitate to buy Daniel Defense either.   Just haven't yet.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I'll start out a bit cheaper and replace it later on! I'm getting married here in less than a month. So the wallet is feeling the pain.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I think I'll start out a bit cheaper and replace it later on! I'm getting married here in less than a month. So the wallet is feeling the pain.
View Quote
There will be some screaming deals around the holidays

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea. After the wedding,and I can claim it as a Christmas present to myself. Haha.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for all the help! Now I just need to locate an upper I like and a stock.
Oh and try not to drool over the  SPR rifle mentioned in
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT__TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.html

It's hard to not attempt something like that instead. Haha

I'll post some pics on a new thread when the build is done.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top