Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2014 11:16:02 AM EDT
If this has been asked before then I am sorry as I searched and could not get the answer I was looking for.

I am thinking of moving into the realm of 80 % Lower manufacturing.  I have built numerous AR rifles but none with an 80 percent  lower,  So I have a few questions..

1.  After you finish the lower do you have to stamp a serial number into it and then register it with BATF.  I live in FL and we have no registration here in the state.

2.  How difficult is it to complete and can it really be done with a drill and a jig.

3.  Is it safe

4.  Is it compatible with other components.

5.  Can I mill more than one.

6.  Has anyone tried milling the Colt Government 45 80 % Lower yet.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If this has been asked before then I am sorry as I searched and could not get the answer I was looking for.

I am thinking of moving into the realm of 80 % Lower manufacturing.  I have built numerous AR rifles but none with an 80 percent  lower,  So I have a few questions..

1, After you finish the lower do you have to stamp a serial number into it and then register it with BATF.  I live in FL and we have no registration here in the state.

2.  How difficult is it to complete and can it really be done with a drill and a jig.

3.  Is it safe

4.  Is it compatible with other components.

5.  Can I mill more than one.

6.  Has anyone tried milling the Colt Government 45 80 % Lower yet.

Thanks
View Quote

1. no as long as your not making it to resell, in free states at least.  Owning a gun made after 1968 without a serial number feels naughty but is legal at the national level provided your not violating any other gun laws aka felon in possession or NFA rules.

2.  Not difficult for an AR at least just time consuming.  Yes it can be done with a drill press and jig.

3.  Its as safe as working with any power tool is.  Standard eyes/ear protection and know your equipment.

4.  Yes provided you finish it that way.  Sloppy work and you just made an expensive paperweight.

5.  Yes provided your not intending them for resale. Subject to state laws

6.  haven't done a 1911 personally.  That's a lot more work since all parts need fit on those.  Sloppy work will turn $2k in parts into a $350 gun
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
If your going to do it with a drill press then at least get an XY vice.

It's easier with a mill, but a press will work.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

1.  After you finish the lower do you have to stamp a serial number into it and then register it with BATF.  I live in FL and we have no registration here in the state. generally no, unless you want to make it a SBR but thats getting further into an unrelated topic.

2.  How difficult is it to complete and can it really be done with a drill and a jig. not hard at all. my last 80%er took me about an hour. you can do it with a drill and jig but imo it looks bad. an end mill with x/y axis help make smoother cuts

3.  Is it safe yes if done correctly and followed all dimensions

4.  Is it compatible with other components. yes if you didn't screw up and mill something wrong.

5.  Can I mill more than one. yes i have done 5 so far

6.  Has anyone tried milling the Colt Government 45 80 % Lower yet. i have not hopefully someone else can help you on that

Thanks
View Quote

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top