Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2014 12:01:40 AM EDT
I'm pretty new to AR.  I shot a few before but thats about it.  I thought about buying one but been told I should build one instead since I can do what I want to.  I never built one before so I got several questions and would appreciate the help.  One what are some good sites to get AR parts?  What are all of the parts I need for a basic AR?  Also I want to build an AR that can shoot 5.56 but also .22 and 9mm if I want.  Is it possible to build one like that.  I heard that the lower shouldn't be a problem as long as you switch out the upper.  Is this right?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Lower
Lower Parts Kit
Stock
Buffer
Buffer Spring
Buffer Plate
Buffer Tube
Buffer Tube Nut
Upper
Bolt Carrier Group
Charging Handle
Forward Assist Assembly
Dust Cover
Barrel
Barrel Nut
Gas Tube
Flash Hider
Flash Hider Washer
Gas Block
Rail

Sites depends on what you're looking for.

To shoot 22, you just need a .22 Conversion kit. Should be able to shoot it out of the same 5.56 barrel.

9mm - No, just no.
You'll need a new upper, 9mm BCG, 9mm magazines, 9mm mag block... Sounds more like a pain than anything. If you have the money, go for it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the help.  I knew I wanted to do the 5.56 and .22 for sure.  The 9mm was just wishful thinking.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#4]
For my first AR I used a rifle kit.  Makes it easy as it comes with everything but lower receiver.  They have some of these at AIM, Palmetto, and Del ton.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For my first AR I used a rifle kit.  Makes it easy as it comes with everything but lower receiver.  They have some of these at AIM, Palmetto, and Del ton.
View Quote

I would at Model 1 and J&T to this list . I have built kits from all of these except AIM and have had good experience with all.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Avoid Blackthorn.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Before you build anything get boned up on your knowledge of the platform.  Google "Brownells AR 15 build videos."  They are nice because they break the Ar down into its sub-units, and each video is only a couple of minutes long.  I watched them all multiple times before the first part arrived, and when I started my build it was like I'd gotten the Matrix download for AR construction.

If you use their vids throw them a dime.  They are a site sponsor and carry everything for your AR.  I gave them enough $$$ to cover my use for sure.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
They are easy to build
My first one
I ordered up a PSA kit and a 80% lower and had it done in two days after getting it all the stuff

The second one
I ordered all parts separately  (exactly what I wanted) and just finished it … it was much more $$$$ than the first but its much cooler
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everybody for the advice.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top